Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

Xpedition Ready Build.....

Old 11-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #1
XPEDITIONREADY is a glorious beacon of lightXPEDITIONREADY is a glorious beacon of lightXPEDITIONREADY is a glorious beacon of lightXPEDITIONREADY is a glorious beacon of lightXPEDITIONREADY is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Ben
XPEDITIONREADY's Tacoma Gallery
Xpedition Ready Build.....

Hi all, I am Ben Gibson, owner of Xpedition Ready LLC based in Raleigh, NC. We aim to offer the best overlanding and off-road products on the market today. Xready is a family owned and operated business that strives to sell products at the best possible prices, as well as with the best customer service. We got started in early 2012 when I was working full time as a firefighter. As some of you know firefighter’s work a unique schedule, which allows the pursuit of extracurricular activities. Meaning, you have to work another job to make a living.
I have lived a life of 4-wheeling, camping, exploring, traveling, and riding motorcylces since a young age. Through college I spent every dime I had building trucks set up for rock crawling, which led to many arguments with my then girlfriend because there was no money left to go on dates. But hey, she was patient, and stuck it out and eventually became Mrs. Gibson and is now an employee/brains of Xready; also known as Jess. The third and final member of Xready is my older brother; guru of all things mechanical, and the instigator of making overlanding, 4-wheeling, motorcycle riding, traveling, and adventures my passion. Xready’s head mechanic; David.

Crawler Build:

Fast forward several years, we relocated to Raleigh for family reasons, I left the fire service from a professional standpoint, and now press head long into Xpedition Ready full-time. We are not the most computer, internet, or web design savvy so bear with us and our website problems as we continue to build the site, as well as update this build thread.

Now that you know a little bit about who we are….on with the build
September 23, 2013 Xpedition Ready purchased our 2013 4wd Double Cab TRD OR to be the new face of the company. We have plans to do a modest overland build, with a goal to make it functional, simplistic, and affordable for the common everyday consumer. This truck is an everyday driver and will be designed and built as such.

Stage 1: The goal of Stage 1 will be to get the truck ready for a cross country trip Jess and I will be leaving for in April. We will be leaving NC March 28th and headed North West on a loop to see the best places this great nation has to offer. We will arrive back on Easter Sunday April 20th. We will be camping and exploring all along the way and documenting it as well. We would love your input on what you would like to see in this build so please post up!

Tires: BFG KM2s 255/85/16
Suspension: Old Man Emu 885 coils, Nitro Chargers, and Dakar leafs....later changed to 886 for bumper
Roof Top Tent: Undecided but leaning towards Eezi-Awn 1400
RTT Rack: Xready prototype design
Fridge/Slide: Undecided
Sliders: Stubbs Welding HD-SKO most likely
Skid Plates: Bud Built full skids, as we already have a set from another build
Storage Solutions: Working on this so stay tuned
Lighting: Undecided
Battery: Not sure if we will go with a dual battery setup for this trip as we will be on the road everyday so we may go with a larger single battery for now. Ended up going with a single batter Die Hard 31M
On Board Air: Undecided but probably an ARB Twin Air compressor because we want to try one out.

Stage 2: These are things we will not need for this particular trip so they will be put on the back burner for now.
Front Bumper: ARB Deluxe Bumper
Rear Bumper:
Winch: M8000
Front Locker:

Day we brought it home:

Old 11-05-2013, 12:21 PM   #2
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
If you do a loop you miss the best part of the nation and the overlanders dream. Alaska. Sick crawler though. Definitely subd.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #3
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Old 11-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #4
TacoJoy418 is on a distinguished road

Name: Blake
TacoJoy418's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd. I am excited for this build
Old 11-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #5
XPEDITIONREADY is a glorious beacon of lightXPEDITIONREADY is a glorious beacon of lightXPEDITIONREADY is a glorious beacon of lightXPEDITIONREADY is a glorious beacon of lightXPEDITIONREADY is a glorious beacon of light
Tires:
We choose BFG KM2ís in size 255/85/16 because we wanted the height and performance of a 33Ē tall tire, but with a bit less rolling mass due, which will save us a bit of gas on our trips. If you are not familiar with the size it is roughly a 33x10 tire, also known as pizza cutters. It is our first time running this size, but we have heard great things from friends and customers. As for the mud terrain, a bit overkill for the majority of our trips but unfortunately there is not a lot of options in this size. We have had great luck with BFG in the past in other sizes so we are hoping this tire delivers.

In case anyone has told you differently, this size DOES fit on stock suspension for street driving. We had a local tire shop put them on before we had a chance to get the lift on, and we were also curious if they would fit to give you guys some feedback. Our thought process was if they donít fit stock, they will rub under full compression off road. So lets see what happens. We have not had a chance to wheel them on stock suspension but if you are worried about getting the tires on before you can afford the lift or donít have time to put the lift on, you wont have any problems with stock wheels, and with mud flaps removed. We removed our mud flaps because they drug over speed bumps and looked terrible in our opinion. Disclaimer: These tires fit our truck on stock TRD OR suspension without mud flaps. They may fit with mud flaps but we took ours off before so use your discretion. We will keep you guys posted on MPG with this tire size as well as a longer term review.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #6
Yall are fast...stay tuned. Out of time to add more today
Old 11-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #7
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
I would have went

Icon,fox,king shocks
Total chaos arms
All pro leaf pack
Pelfreybilt,relentless armor bumpers bedrack
Arb lockers
285,295/75/16 tires
Rigid light bars
Old 11-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #8
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
MGMTacoFF's Tacoma Gallery
Why not go with the OME 886's if you are going to be putting on skids, winch, and a bumper?

Looking forward to the build!

Matt
Old 11-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #9
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
I'm running 285s and wish I was running 255s..
Old 11-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #10
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

267/82/17 ftw
And yes thats my actual tire size
Old 11-05-2013, 12:57 PM   #11
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
I'm running 285s and wish I was running 255s..
I've seen a few running them . Don't care too much for them. If I wanted less drag I would go 265/75. Also with a all terrain .
Old 11-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #12
Purveyor of Fun

27/32" deep tread for true ALL terrain
Old 11-05-2013, 01:03 PM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacoFF View Post
Why not go with the OME 886's if you are going to be putting on skids, winch, and a bumper?

Looking forward to the build!

Matt
Bumper and winch are a ways off so we will go with 885s for now and swap in the future because 886 is a harsh ride if not loaded down with a bumper and winch in our opinion.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:03 PM   #15
curmudgeon
Pliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: they call me Bruce
Pliny's Tacoma Gallery
Old 11-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #16
tacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
tacoma16's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagen View Post
Interested to see how it turns out.
Pass some of that over here
Old 11-05-2013, 01:11 PM   #17
Red
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
I've seen a few running them . Don't care too much for them. If I wanted less drag I would go 265/75. Also with a all terrain .
255s, IMO, are ideal for overland use. But not to clutter the thread up, this is a sick build OP.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #18
NateTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNateTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNateTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNateTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNateTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNateTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNateTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNateTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNateTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNateTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNateTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nate
NateTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed as you have the exact truck I do and have been trying to decide how to build it out.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #19
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery