1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

RileySB's 2013 OR Build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by rileySB, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Jul 15, 2014 at 2:34 AM
    krob32

krob32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Sierra Vista, AZ / Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    WeatherTec Digi Liners, AVS Bugflector II, TRD FJ SE Anthracite Rims, BF Goodrich AT KO2 265/75/16, AVS In-Channel Wind Deflectors, Extang Solid Fold, Pop & Lock, Color Match Grill Emblem (Anthracite), Plasti Dip Emblems, Tacoma Bed Mat, Tacoma Door Sill Protectors, ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, ICON UCAs, Wheeler's Progressive AAL, Wet Okoles, Sockmonkey 3rd Brake Light Cover, LED Hood/Bed Lighting w/ OTRATTW Switches, Famous Fabrication Sliders, Sockmonkey TRD Bed Decal, Proven Design 4x4 Mudflaps, BenWA's Rear Power Sliding Window, Jasper Off Road 6" Reverse LED Pod, ImMrYo Rear View Mirror Bracket, GrillCraft w/ Black Mesh and color matched Land Cruiser Emblem, LED Tail Lights, Badge Removal and Vinyl TRD/Tacoma Stickers, Bullaculla Trailer Harness Relocation.
    Not sure how this build got past me. Nice truck and great pics. Looks like you've had some fun. How is the wheelers AAL working when not loaded? Too stiff? Considering same thing.

2. Jul 19, 2014 at 11:45 PM
    rileySB

rileySB [OP] RileySB

Member:
    First Name:
    Gen
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR 4x4
    5100/887, Dakars, 285s, Built Right UCAs, Icon rears
    Haven't been on in awhile, sorry for the late replies!

Thanks for the compliment. I'm trying to keep it simple so i don't end up in super gnarly debt. Piece by piece it's coming along :p The wheelers AAL is working great. 80% of the time I am driving around with nothing in the bed and it drives great- not stiff at all. When the bed is full of camping stuff, it seems to hold up well, haven't bottomed out yet! I'm holding off on the DAKARs until I get around to buying my HC rear with swingout (future plans). I see you have the Toytec Ultimate lift kit....why are you considering the Wheelers AAL? It doesn't come with a leaf pack or AAL? Nice looking rig! #MGMFTW

I'm so far West I could fall in the ocean, literally. It's still a bit of a drive to get out to those wide open lands but it's a great excuse to get away for a few days! Exactly the reason I bought the truck instead of saving up for a house...I don't want to be nailed down, I want to be free to explore this beautiful continent! Nice looking rig- time to add some aggressive looking tread! #MGMFTW

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  3. Aug 23, 2014 at 3:59 PM
    rileySB

rileySB [OP] RileySB

Member:
    First Name:
    Gen
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR 4x4
    I was getting cabin fever...haven't been out camping or wheeling since May. So I decided for my sanity's sake not to make any more excuses as to why I wasn't getting outdoors. Took a short two night trip out to Whitney Portal to hike, camp, put some dirt under the tires and try my hand at fly fishing. Weather was perfect, no bugs, clear skies and nice 70 degree weather.

Here is the truck under the tall peaks of the Sierra Nevadas. Down by the Owens River. Fly fishing was a no go because of the moderate wind. But got to explore some back roads!

[​IMG]

This was my warmup to my 8 day trip to CO in two weeks. Lots of wheeling to be done, hopefully get to try fly fishing again, hike, camp, drink beer and be outdoors. Super excited to get away on another big trip! Pictures soon to come :D

In other news, picked up a ViAIR 88_ air compressor for my CO trip. That's the only news this summer for my build. Sad, I know. I am in the hunt for 285s and maybe some rear suspension. We shall see. :eek:

4. Aug 23, 2014 at 5:08 PM
    drop4205

drop4205 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Windham, Maine
    Vehicle:
    14 TX Baja
    Pioneer 8201 nex Id cxs 6.5 component front Id cs 6.5 rear Jl audio hd 600/4 Jl audio 10” micro sub+ Ram mat Tinted windows Debaged Plasti dip front emble
    can you take a pic from front tire side roughly equal to rear tire side so I can see how much the kick out on the sliders go beyond them. Just curious. You are the first truck I have seen with sliders on and tires still within the fender flares. Can you measure also center cap of rim to fender flare. Your truck looks like it sits higher than mine. Very nice setup you have

5. Aug 23, 2014 at 5:28 PM
    rileySB

rileySB [OP] RileySB

Member:
    First Name:
    Gen
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR 4x4
    Hub to fender is 23". Stock OR suspension for me on 265/75/16s was 20".
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps. Thanks for the compliment!

6. Aug 23, 2014 at 6:10 PM
    drop4205

drop4205 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Windham, Maine
    Vehicle:
    14 TX Baja
    Pioneer 8201 nex Id cxs 6.5 component front Id cs 6.5 rear Jl audio hd 600/4 Jl audio 10” micro sub+ Ram mat Tinted windows Debaged Plasti dip front emble
    thanks a lot. Def looks nice. I thought they stuck out a lot further. I think bamf website says they are 17" from frame but I am not sure if that's for extender of sliders without extender. Your fender to hub is 1/2 inch higher than mine. Still stk TX suspension here. The AAL makes a big difference. Ill have to look into this. Def following your build.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  7. Aug 23, 2014 at 8:18 PM
    rileySB

rileySB [OP] RileySB

Member:
    First Name:
    Gen
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR 4x4
    Thanks man! The 887 coils helped me get the full 3". Otherwise with an 885 coil on my 5100s would have netted me 2-2.5". You do know I have a kick out right? And my sliders are at 10 degrees (custom and act as a step as well) so maybe they stick out a little more than the normal ones that I think are set at 20 degrees.

8. Aug 24, 2014 at 7:03 AM
    TacoMeSir

TacoMeSir WiFi Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    North GA
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5 ACLB
    KING, Darkars, Total Chaos, Pelfreybilt, Warn
    Sweet Pic! I miss it out there. :cool:

9. Aug 24, 2014 at 7:41 AM
    BBtacosurfer

BBtacosurfer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    ID
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2012 4x4
    Sweet! I was just up in Mammoth and Horseshoe Meadows a month ago...I fly fished for trout on the Owens, Hot Creek and down on the San Joaquin.

10. Sep 12, 2014 at 11:55 PM
    rileySB

rileySB [OP] RileySB

Member:
    First Name:
    Gen
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR 4x4
    Couple highlights of my recent Weeklong Colorado camping trip. 7 days, 2500 miles from CA to CO. Did Alpine Loop (Cinnamon and Hurricane Passes), Imogene Pass, Yankee Boy Basin, Ophir Pass, and Summittville ghost town. Imogene and Yankee boy Basin were by far the toughest technical trail driving I've done, Imogene I thought was scary (not a fan of narrow shelf roads near thousand foot drops) and it was in a steady rain, but so satisfying! Alpine Loop was beautiful terrain, not terribly difficult but a must-do trail for anyone traveling to CO. Also fly fished nearly every day, and went on a 6 mile hike on the Colorado Trail just above Durango. Such a great trip!

[​IMG]
    39 degrees, windy and a light rain!

[​IMG]
    Heading up Imogene towards the pass from Ouray

[​IMG]
    Yankee Boy Basin

[​IMG]
    Dirt track up to Clear Lake, just outside of Silverton

[​IMG]
    First trail of the trip, Engineer Pass! So excited I forgot to close the door!

[​IMG]
    I splurged on lodging, spent 18 bucks on this campground (most of my camping was down dispersed in NF or BLM land for free). This is Sunshine Campground just south of Telluride.

[​IMG]
    Slept every night in the bed of the truck under the Softopper. I was warm and dry, happy as a clam with my pup as my companion.

[​IMG]
    I'm brand new to fly fishing. Trying to figure out how to get more distance on my cast. Alta Lakes. Not surprisingly, I didn't catch a thing!

[​IMG]
    Me and my pup on the Colorado Trail high above Durango with million dollar views!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  11. Sep 17, 2014 at 10:25 PM
    bullaculla

bullaculla IKA fabrications

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB Tacoma 4X4 TRD Off Road
    All pro 3 link SAS kit, Diamond axle, kings on 37" MTR/K
    Great pics as usual :)

12. Sep 22, 2014 at 6:49 PM
    rileySB

rileySB [OP] RileySB

Member:
    First Name:
    Gen
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR 4x4
    Installed Bullaculla's harness relocation bracket. Couldn't be happier! Super easy to install, very sturdy, and of course I have to paint it still. Can't believe I waited so long to get one of these. If you wheel and have the tow package, you gotta get yourself one of these before you break it off dragging the rear!
    [​IMG]

13. Sep 22, 2014 at 8:42 PM
    BBtacosurfer

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    ID
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2012 4x4
    sweet fly fishing pics...10:00 - 2:00...10:00 - 2:00. Love fly fishing. Wish I could do more of it! Looks like a fun time.

14. Sep 22, 2014 at 8:43 PM
    BBtacosurfer

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    ID
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2012 4x4
    also for lake fly fishing you gotta paddle out in your kayak or get a float tube and get into the middle of the lake and let er fly. Back casting from the banks of a lake usually result in a tree fish :D ask me how I know :anonymous:

15. Sep 30, 2014 at 8:19 PM
    SKULLY

SKULLY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB
    Wow! Awesome trip to CO & pics!!

16. Oct 2, 2014 at 3:41 PM
    muddyphoto

muddyphoto Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nice truck, Gen! I've had my '14 for a few months now; would have preferred the Magnetic Gray, but chose white because it was the only manual trans on the lot. Just joined the forum, and now I'm afraid reading build threads is going to make me go broke! So many good ideas here.

17. Oct 14, 2014 at 1:56 AM
    jokercykoe

jokercykoe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma Dbl Cab TRD-Offroad 4x4 in MGM
    Pelfreybilt Front Plate Bumper Pelfreybilt Sliders Pelfreybilt IFS + Mid skid Relentless Fab Bed Bars IVD full suspension Tepui Kukenam Sky RTT Matt Gecko Bedrail LEDs Cobra 75 + Firestick
    Great pics! Man I want to get out to CO

18. Nov 1, 2014 at 3:04 AM
    rileySB

rileySB [OP] RileySB

Member:
    First Name:
    Gen
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR 4x4
    Tuesday I decided it was time to go camping. The plan was to head to the Kern River Valley for some outdoor time with the truck and the pup. Rolled into m free camping site at Springhill North primitive camp right on the North Fork of the Upper Kern right as the sun was setting. I've become accustomed to sleeping in the bed of the truck under the softopper. Watch the sun set while practicing my fly casting skills (flow was decent and water was clear but didn't see any fish). Drank a beer and enjoyed the peace and serenity that comes with being outdoors with no one around.
    Went to sleep under a starry sky, no light pollution and a waning moon maybe star gazing conditions perfect!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then decided to be daring and try 'most difficult' Sherman Pass 4x4 trail- narrow, soft yet rocky and steep. It was fun and challenging even had to break out the Maxtrax devices to help me through a soft chewed up steep section. Didn't finish it, didn't have the guts to do a steep rock garden solo with no cell service, had to reverse a mile or two down some steep sections before I could find a wide enough spot to turn around. This pic doesn't do it justice...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Nov 1, 2014 at 5:41 AM
    BBtacosurfer

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    ID
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2012 4x4
    Gorgeous! :thumbsup:

20. Nov 1, 2014 at 5:43 AM
    BBtacosurfer

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    ID
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2012 4x4
    What weight fly rod do you have? Length? I have a 9ft, 5 wt. rod that breaks down into 4 pieces. Looks like a great time!

Products Discussed in

To Top