Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

Chenbro's Second Silver Taco Build

Old 11-13-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
chenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
chenbro's Tacoma Gallery
Chenbro's Second Silver Taco Build

This is the second Toyota Tacoma that I have owned. I bought it in May 2009 and it wasn’t long until I got the urge to mod it beyond what I had done to my first.

Most recent pic:

Future Mod List
CB radio
Roof-mounted LED light bar
LED ditch lights
Skid plates (Front IFS/Transfer Case/Belly)
High clearance rear bumper with tire carrier
Bed rack? With roof top tent?

Audio/Visual
Kenwood DNX9960 headunit
Alpine PDX-F6 4-ch amplifer
Alpine PDX-M6 subwoofer amp
CDT HD-62US Gold front component speakers
Diamond Audio 6.5” coaxial rear speakers (cannibalized from the first truck)
JL Audio 13TW5 13” slim subwoofer
Custom subwoofer box and amp rack
Backup camera in rear view mirror and headunit
Gauge cluster LED swap
Interior LED lighting (map/dome/HVAC backlight)

Suspension/Wheels/Tires
Icon extended travel front coilover shocks with remote reservoir and 700lb springs
Light Racing UCA’s
Wheeler’s Front Superbumps
Icon rear remote reservoir shocks
Old Man Emu Dakar rear leaf pack
All Pro U-bolt flip kit
Timbren rear bump stops
SCS SR8 16" wheels
Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX 255/85/16 tires

Armor/Recovery
ARB front bumper with fog lights, powder coated silver
BAMF sliders
Boztec Rear Diff Skid
Warn 9.5xp-s recovery winch
Factor55 ProLink Winch Thimble

Misc
ARB CKMA12 On-board air compressor
DieHard Platinum Group 31M Marine Battery
Old 11-13-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
chenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
chenbro's Tacoma Gallery
First time around

When I was in college I bought my first Tacoma. It was a silver (Lunar Mist) 2001 Access Cab. In the end, it had the following mods:
  • ARB front bumper
  • Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit for first gen with heavy coils in the front
  • Kenwood XXV-01D head unit
  • Kenwood KHD-CX910 “Music Keg”, hacked to accept larger storage
  • Diamond Audio Hex H600s 6.5” front component speakers
  • Diamond Audio 6.5” coaxial rear speakers
  • Diamond Audio 8” subwoofer
  • Eclipse 5-channel amp

On the trail:

The day she left me:

Turns out the shop that installed the lift kit didn’t torque the U-bolts enough, and I didn’t know what to look for or to check it after a week. Fortunately my attorney was in the truck with me when this accident happened and got all the insurance headache sorted out. Lessons learned, I was a lot more paranoid the second time around.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:43 AM   #3
chenbro's Tacoma Gallery
Interior mods begin

The first mod I did by myself was changing the LEDs on the gauge cluster. I felt that the orange/red was a bit monochrome and outdated, and reminded me of my first gen. A simple swap from orange to white gauge numbers was all that I wanted. No need to go crazy with colors!

Upgrading the audio system was the next major mod I did. My truck is my daily driver, and at the time I had a 30-minute commute each way to work in heavy traffic on a 2-lane road. The stock JBL system with satellite radio was ok, and I tolerated it until I had saved up enough money to build out a new and improved one.

The first order of business was to build the sub box and amp rack. I was sold on the JL Audio 13TW5 after going to a local shop and listening to it. It wasn’t until it arrived on my doorstep that I realized how huge the thing was.

I pulled out the stock JBL sub and rear panels and, after a lot of measuring and cutting, built my custom sub box and amp rack out of ĺ” MDF. I left two of the child seat safety anchors intact, just in case some day there is a little chenbro in the world.

The spade bit drilled holes inside the sub box are a bit of a hack, but they were necessary to clear the spider on the JL 13TW5. The holes were sealed with silicone and the entire outside of the box was sprayed with Line-X for a little more strength, sealing, and aesthetics. Here is the entire assembly with subwoofer, amps, crossovers, and wiring:

I did some sound deadening to the interior of the cab. I have some leftover material though so some day I might go back and add some more to the doors. You can see my DIY rear speaker baffle in this pic, as well as some of the wiring runs.

Because the truck came with XM, I had a small XM antenna on the roof of the cab. I wasn’t going to need that anymore and decided to put the GPS antenna for the headunit in its place instead. This required removing the plastic housing from the aftermarket GPS antenna, but it did fit and works great.

The JBL system proved to be a little more challenging for wiring up the headunit, simply because not a lot was known about it at the time. Searching on TW I was able to figure it out, including getting imagery from the rear backup camera into the headunit.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
chenbro's Tacoma Gallery
Exterior mods begin

A few months after the audio install, I got a job in New Jersey so that I could be with my then-girlfriend-of-9-years and now wife, who was in medical residency. Naturally this meant that I should install a front bumper! By the way, I donít recommend doing this without getting heavier springs in the front first.

Look at that stance! ARB with stock offroad suspension:

Moving day:

I rode around like this for a while, saving money for a lift and a wedding. But I ordered a HomerTaco satoshi grille:

Finally, the lift was ordered and installed. BIG thanks to JLink for the help. I still donít know how many beers are enough to thank him for it, so I just keep bringing 6-packs over whenever I stop by his place.

The stock size tires look a bit small, but in the spring Iím planning to get bigger ones. In the meantime, itís more reading around TW to see what I like and what others recommend.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:46 AM   #5
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
MGMTacoFF's Tacoma Gallery
Silver ARB looks awesome! Looking forward to seeing more of this build.

Matt
Old 11-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #6
Hey Now!
w00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
w00dy's Tacoma Gallery
You have a real clean truck in person! I look forward to seeing SJ pewp wooder slung all over it.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Nice build thread Davis!! It's cool to see all the details

Edit: this line is awesome!- "Finally, the lift was ordered and installed. BIG thanks to JLink for the help. I still don’t know how many beers are enough to thank him for it, so I just keep bringing 6-packs over whenever I stop by his place."

Old 11-13-2013, 10:13 AM   #9
chenbro's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the support, guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLink View Post
Nice build thread Davis!! It's cool to see all the details

Edit: this line is awesome!- "Finally, the lift was ordered and installed. BIG thanks to JLink for the help. I still donít know how many beers are enough to thank him for it, so I just keep bringing 6-packs over whenever I stop by his place."

It's true though. I really felt like I was just there to hand you tools and beer that day
Old 11-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #10
porchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedporchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedporchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedporchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedporchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedporchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedporchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedporchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedporchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedporchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedporchop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
porchop's Tacoma Gallery
great build page so far Davis! that sound system sounds great! u gotta move onto different types of music...not thrift shop
Old 11-13-2013, 07:01 PM   #11
chenbro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by porchop View Post
great build page so far Davis! that sound system sounds great! u gotta move onto different types of music...not thrift shop
I only played that for you guys because it has more bass than the crap I normally listen to!
Old 11-14-2013, 08:43 AM   #12
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenbro View Post
I only played that for you guys because it has more bass than the crap I normally listen to!
I have to admit, after hearing you play it, it was the first song I played after I finished installing my new headunit and speakers
Old 11-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #13
Hub Master General
nj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kev
nj636's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by porchop View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLink View Post
I have to admit, after hearing you play it, it was the first song I played after I finished installing my new headunit and speakers

great build page Davis, inspiring me to start one
Old 11-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #14
chenbro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj636 View Post

great build page Davis, inspiring me to start one
Thanks! You should make two build threads, one each for your old and new truck. Then close the thread for the old build
Old 11-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #15
Hub Master General
nj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kev
nj636's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks! You should make two build threads, one each for your old and new truck. Then close the thread for the old build
Old 12-01-2013, 11:51 PM   #16
CharlieNovember is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Food service journeyman (burger flipper)
Name: christian
CharlieNovember's Tacoma Gallery
Really like the silver man. Thought about doing this on mine. Like the way it looked on the land cruiser too.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:56 PM   #17
chenbro's Tacoma Gallery
Oh crap, I forgot to upload the latest photo that I took:

Old 12-11-2013, 05:28 PM   #18
GATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Alex
Location: B'ham, AL. Can be found in good ole Cherry Point, NC
GATORTACO92's Tacoma Gallery
nice build so far!!! did you order the bumper painted or did you get it painted? i want color matched but for the right price....
Old 12-11-2013, 05:49 PM   #19
chenbro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GATORTACO92 View Post
nice build so far!!! did you order the bumper painted or did you get it painted? i want color matched but for the right price....
I took the bumper to a powder coater to get sprayed, so it's a close match but not exact. Probably would have been cheaper to have it painted but I didn't want to have to deal with touching up paint chips all the time. Mall crawler mentality, I know
Old 12-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #20
GATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Alex
Location: B'ham, AL. Can be found in good ole Cherry Point, NC
GATORTACO92's Tacoma Gallery
Gotcha! I'd get it bedlined paint match now that you bring up chipping... Hey dual purpose...