Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

bakerla's no name truck

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-22-2013, 07:33 AM   #1
Man, Myth, Legend
bakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Always Out Front
Name: Lyndall
bakerla's Tacoma Gallery
bakerla's no name truck

Shortly after buying a 2010 Tacoma Sport 2WD, I kicked myself. I traded it in and bought a slightly used 2010 Tacoma TRD Offroad 4wd on July 4th, 2011. The intent is to build a very capable family camping vehicle that go where most can't and play hard on the weekends. This build will be used to document the truck’s modifications, maintenance / service and trips.

Armor
Budbuilt front, mid and trans skids
Shrockworks sliders
Sky Offroad Elocker guard
CBI Moab 2.0 front bumper
CBI Trailrider 2.0 rear bumper

Suspension
OME 886x coils w/ OME Nitrochargers
OME Dakars w/ OME Nitrochargers
Light Racing UCAs
Wheeler’s Superbumps front bumpstops

Kicks
1st gen TRD alloys
Cooper Discoverer S/T 255/85/16

Safety / Recovery
Engo 9000S w/ Factor 55 Prolink safety thimble
ARB snatch strap
ARB recovery damper
ARB tire repair kit
Rugged Ridge snatch block
48” Hi Lift Jack
Prolink Factor 55

Comms / Electrical
Cobra 75
Firestick 3ft antenna
BaoFeng UV-5R 65-108 MHz Dual-Band Ham Radio
Diehard Platinum Group 65 battery
Deep Sea fuse block

Engine / Driveline
Stock gearing
Engine: Mobil 1 5w30 w/ OEM oil filter
Front diff: Lucas Oil 80w90
Transfer case: Mobil 1 75w90
Rear diff: Lucas Oil 85w140

Interior
Weathertech floor mats
child seats x2
LED lighting

Bed
Ammo can storage
Curt cargo bars w/ bed basket
misc homemade tie down points
OEM bed mat
OEM cargo net

Misc
Rear diff breather relocation
Satoshi grill
Sockmonkey decals
Metalmiller grill emblem
Stainless steel braided brake lines front and rear
Cab mount chop
OEM roof rack
NoLoss valve caps
Redline Tuning hood struts
stickers!

Spare Parts
OEM CV axle
Moog tie rod
2x wheel hub assemblies
CV axle boot
LR UCA balljoint assembly

Wishlist
spare parts
new tires

Maintenance / Service
  • 10k service on 07/09/2011 at 10,941 miles
  • TSB 0119-10 on 08/09/2011 at 12,649
  • 15k service on 09/11/2011 at 14,846 miles
  • 20k service on 01/02/2012 at 19,688 miles
  • 25k service on 04/07/2012 at 24,865 miles
  • Front axle seals (driver and passenger) replaced on 06/25/2012 at 28,201 miles under warranty
  • TSB 0162-11 on 06/25/2012
  • 30k service on 07/14/2012 at 29,102 miles
  • 35k service on 09/24/2012 at 34,882 miles
  • 40k service on 12/23/2012 at 39,867 miles
  • 45k service on 03/30/2013 at 44,957 miles
  • 50k service on 06/29/2013 at 49,270 miles
  • 55k service on 09/02/2013 at 54,422 miles
  • 60k service on 11/30/2013 at 59,511 miles
  • Driver axle seal replaced on 01/20/2014 at 62,475 miles
  • 65k mile service on 03/01/2014 at 64,609 miles
  • 70k mile service on 06/01/2014 at 69,730 miles
Trips
Shiloh Ridge. Alto, TX. January 2012.
Lonestar Jamboree. Barnwell Mountain Recreation Area. Gilmer, TX. April 2012
FJ Summit. Ouray, CO July 2012
Hidden Falls Adventure Park. Marble Falls, TX. November 2012.
Shiloh Ridge. Alto, TX. January 2013.
Shiloh Ridge. Alto, TX. March 2013.
Texas Twister 9. Trees Ranch Offroad. Leakey, TX. May 2013
FJ Summit. Ouray, CO July 2013
Barnwell Mountain Recreation Area. Gilmer, TX. October 2013.
Kiamichi Trail and Ouachita National Forest. December 2013.
Shiloh Ridge. Alto, TX. January 2014.
Hidden Falls Adventure Park. Marble Falls, TX. May 2014.
Shiloh Ridge. Alto, TX. June 2014.

As it sits currently

Old 12-22-2013, 07:37 AM   #2
TacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud of

Name: Jake
TacoBurrito07's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good How do you like your s/t's in that size??
Old 12-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
Man, Myth, Legend
bakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bakerla's Tacoma Gallery
I had both front axle seals replaced under warranty at 28k miles. My driver side axle seal has failed again at 61k miles. Not sure whats causing this, but I think every 30k miles is not a good track record.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:12 PM   #5
uscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: AMT3 kodiak 60T jayhawks
Name: coby
uscg2008's Tacoma Gallery
Thats a good looking truck man, more pics are required.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #6
Man, Myth, Legend

bakerla's Tacoma Gallery
Ran around with Tex in the Ouachita National Forest over the weekend.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:10 PM   #7
Man, Myth, Legend

bakerla's Tacoma Gallery
Did some work today. I pulled the driver's side CV axle and replaced the leaking oil seal. A seal puller makes pulling that seal an easy job. Prying it out with a prybar or screwdriver wasn't working. The seal looked good, and I have no idea why the thing was leaking. Hopefully I seated it properly and it doesn't leak again.

Leaky diff

Oil seal (marked with red arrow)

Then it was time to replace the rubber bushings on the driver side LR UCAs. Apparently when banging the bolt that connects the UCA to the spindle with a hammer I buggered up the threads. I know better...but it just wasn't coming free. I think this was the 3rd time for this bolt to get beat on. Luckily I had a spare balljoint assembly and I quickly swapped them out and put the truck back together. The spare isn't in good condition, but it'll buy me some time to either fix the threads or order a new balljoint assembly from SPC.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:43 PM   #8
Man, Myth, Legend

bakerla's Tacoma Gallery
Tire wear report on my Cooper Discoverer S/T in 255/85/16. I've had the tires on the truck now for 38,500 miles. They are 65% worn and measure at 8/32" tread depth. Not too shabby. I expect another 14-16k miles out of them. They have handled great.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:14 PM   #9
Man, Myth, Legend

bakerla's Tacoma Gallery
Got some new wheels on the truck. Good ole TRD alloys from a 1st gen. Also removed my TPMS. This wheel is a much better size for the 255s I've got on.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:48 PM   #10
Man, Myth, Legend

bakerla's Tacoma Gallery
Picked up a 5th matching wheel today and an OEM roof rack. I'll be the first to admit, I bought it more so for looks. I'll still give it a use though.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:00 PM   #11
tacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
tacoma16's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerla View Post
Picked up a 5th matching wheel today and an OEM roof rack. I'll be the first to admit, I bought it more so for looks. I'll still give it a use though.

Really like your wheel set up. Pretty much looking to have the same set up, just debating which copper tire to get in the 255/85/16. How do yours do on the trail? good road manners?

Awsome truck, and thanks for any feedback
Old 03-16-2014, 06:23 PM   #12
Man, Myth, Legend

bakerla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma16 View Post
Really like your wheel set up. Pretty much looking to have the same set up, just debating which copper tire to get in the 255/85/16. How do yours do on the trail? good road manners?

Awsome truck, and thanks for any feedback
These tires I have are great. They've been good on the road and offroad as well. They aren't too hot in mud and I haven't tried them in snow or ice (I see you're from Ontario). They are D rated, which is a plus for me. The newer Cooper ST Max in 255/85/16 is E rated. I have no complaints and would purchase them again.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:49 AM   #13
tacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks for the heads up, really appreciate it. Right now I'm between the cooper st and the at max. Have to do a bit more research but your feedback helps alot
Old 03-26-2014, 05:41 PM   #14
Man, Myth, Legend

bakerla's Tacoma Gallery
With 2 kids and visions of weekend camping trips I'm in need of more space to haul camping supplies. We don't pack light. I purchased a weatherproof rooftop cargo bag to go with the roof rack.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:18 PM   #18

looking good! How do you like the prolink on the winch? Worth it? I got to get me some of those hood struts.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:35 PM   #20
Man, Myth, Legend

bakerla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogg View Post
Truck looks good! Where did you relocate your winch solenoid to?
Behind the passenger headlight. I owe you a pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma16 View Post
looking good! How do you like the prolink on the winch? Worth it? I got to get me some of those hood struts.
Haven't really got to use the Prolink yet. Looks good though.

Products Discussed in this Thread