Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

ThatguyJZ's Build Thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-23-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
Third Shift
ThatguyJZ has a spectacular aura aboutThatguyJZ has a spectacular aura aboutThatguyJZ has a spectacular aura about
Name: Jim
ThatguyJZ's Tacoma Gallery
ThatguyJZ's Build Thread

Hey guys!

Figured I'd hop on the bandwagon and start up a build thread. When I started this thread I hadn't even had the truck a whole week yet, but I'm still enjoying it. This is my first new vehicle. I've been waiting for this for a while.

The truck is a 2014 Magnetic Grey Metallic DCSB Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road w/ Entune Plus.

MODS:

Interior:
OEM Door Sill Protectors
OEM All Weather Floor Mats
Salex Center Console Organizer
IMMRYO Review Mirror Relocation Bracket
Gentex Rear View Mirror with Auto Dimming, Homelink, & Compass from RJP869

Exterior:
OEM Bed Mat
OEM Black TRD Badge (PT413-35120-03)
OEM TRD Pro/SR Edition Smoked Headlights
OEM Color Matched MGM Grill
TRD Exhaust
TRD Off Road Bead Lock Style Wheels in Black
Anthracite Plasti Dipped Front Emblem
Black Plasti Dipped Side Emblems, De-badged Tailgate
35% Tint on the Front Windows
Trimmed Front Mud Flaps
Diff Breather Mod
Tailgate Lock
Bed Mounted Bottle Opener
Bullaculla's Trailer Harness Relocation Bracket
Harbor Freight Receiver Tow Hook
'Krob Edition' Proven Design Rear Mudflaps
Relentless Fab Tailgate Reinforcement Plate

Suspension & Tires:
TRD TX Baja Suspension Kit
Icon 3-Leaf Progressive Add-A-Leaf with Factory Overload Removed
265/75/16 BF Goodrich All-Terrain TA KO2

Lighting:
Optilux Yellow H11 Foglight Bulbs
Lamin-X Amber Fog Light Covers
ND4's Fog Light Anytime Mod
LED Dome Light and License Plate Lights

Most Not-So-Recent Photo: 6/8/14

I really wanted a TRD Baja Edition truck, but they were not making them at my time of purchase so my ultimate plan is to just build my own. The way it sits now, it pretty much is one with exception to the color of the wheels.

Here it is just after purchase. Thanks to Vann York Toyota of High Point, NC for the good deal and locating the truck for me!

Right away I took care of some minor details - OEM TRD Badge

I also added the OEM door sill protectors. No pic of those though.

Picked up a TRD exhaust locally from a 2013 that was like new. PO said he only had it on the truck for 2 days before he took it off for a stock setup.

Got it installed today in about 35 minutes.

Yellow fogs in as well, now just waiting to figure out what to do with the headlights.

Oh yeah... these came in today too

Big thanks to TRDParts4U of Dallas for being the only people I found that were able to get me these rims! Everyone else told me I was pretty much sh*t outta luck.

I ran into an issue with only one of the wheels. The torx bolts that attach the rock ring/fake beadlock to the rim itself were a slightly different thread pitch than those for the rest of the wheels. They would only just start screwing in before they would bind and not secure the ring. I called TRDParts4U and they were absolutely helpful in getting a package of the correct hardware to me overnight. I can't thank them enough for the awesome service.

Some newer pics

Salex Console Organizer... so nice for my inner OCD self

Front Flaps trimmed down. Took em down by about 6 inches.

Installed Bullaculla's Trailer Harness relocation bracket! Since this pic I've painted it black so it blends in underneath.

Had the windows tinted 35%. They messed up the first two times so it had to be re-done.

Anyway, I installed a Harbor Freight Receiver Tow Hitch... pretty much a big ass hook to cover my ass in case I get rear ended. I've since flipped it around so it hooks upward instead of down as pictured. After attempting a hill climb I treated it like a rock breaker dragging it across some concrete... nothing a can of spray paint can't fix.

Also added IMMRYO's rear view mirror relocation bracket. It installed in about 2 minutes. Great product! A few days later my Gentex Mirror arrived from RJP869 so I took care of that too. Completely plug & play, hassle free installation.

Not long after the mirror, I braved the cold to take care of ND4's Fog Light Anytime Mod. I liked the idea of no cutting, bending, or splicing.

Now I've added Lamin-X Amber fog light covers. I had to order them twice since I messed up putting them on the first time, but the second time around they went on real smooth. I really like how these set off the front of the truck.

Took some more time to install my Christmas present from the girlfriend. This should get plenty of use. Painted Satin Black so it's not soo obvious. I used double side tape on the back side of it and then riveted it in place. I don't think it's going anywhere.

Also I got around to doing the Diff Breather Mod. I chose to route mine to the bed storage bin.

This part is zip-tied for now, but I plan on getting a new clamp that I can screw into that bracket and mount this better and more professionally.

Color matched the Toyota emblem MGM to match the rest of the truck. I used Dupli-Color Perfect Match and it went on perfect. Three coats of paint and three of clear had it come out looking excellent!

Problem is after a few weeks it was already chipping off in three different spots. So I ordered some Anthracite Plasti-dip from DipYourCar.com and re-painted it. I've used Plasti-dip before on other vehicles and it's rubberized nature is excellent at keeping it from chipping. It came out looking good, just not glossy. Maybe I'll redo it later and add some glossifier.

------

Finally, got my hands on a Baja Kit. I felt like a little kid when this showed up.

Freshly installed!!

Cleaned up the truck some after the suspension install and took some pics.

I picked up a set of the OEM smoked headlights that are available on the SR and TRD Pro edition trucks. I did this over the BHLM because I didn't want to break the factory seal on the headlights. I also didn't have the time or desire to go through the whole process of doing it. OEM options work just fine for me.

My truck came from the factory with the 4 leaf pack in the rear (3 +1), so when I installed my Icon AAL I had to grind away one of the clamps on each spring pack to allow the AAL to fit properly. I got a head start a couple weeks ago by taking the Icon AAL kit apart and wire brushing away all the rust that was between the leafs since Icon, or their supplier, coats the leaf pack assembled. Then, after applying some fresh coats of paint, I let it cure and added a thin coating of red marine grease between each leaf where they touch.

Installation was pretty straight forward and with the help of a friend took about 3 hours. Grinding off the factory pack clamp wasn't that bad with the help of an angle grinder and cutting wheel. We managed to get it done without even removing the leaf packs from the truck. I had to enlarge the holes for the e-brake cable bracket, which I had heard I may have to do. I reinstalled my factory U-bolts and nuts, the Icon U-bolt package that was included had one nut that was the wrong size. After contacting Icon they were very helpful and have a replacement on the way. Overall lift in the rear seems to be just over an inch. Right now I have a full tank of gas so I'll measure again once it's empty. Before the install the rear wheel gap averaged about half an inch lower than the front. Now it's a little over an inch higher.

Whenever the TRD Pro grill makes it's way to the market I'm thinking about switching out my grill for one of those. Then maybe some armor down the road.

I'll try to keep updating this with some pics as I make progress. Thanks for looking!!
Old 12-23-2013, 06:11 PM   #2
Third Shift
ThatguyJZ has a spectacular aura aboutThatguyJZ has a spectacular aura aboutThatguyJZ has a spectacular aura about
Figured I'd also include some pics of my Dad's truck. After hearing me talk over and over about getting a Tacoma before I actually bought mine, the old man figured he'd get one himself and beat me to the punch. Our trucks were built exactly one month apart, to the day. Yesterday we finished installing some KC HiLites to an N-fab light bar. He's also installed a TRD skid plate, TRD center caps, and OEM exhaust tip. Nothing too extreme with this one. Turned out looking good though.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:39 PM   #3
MikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MikeyMcFly's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, you're basically my DCSB twin!
Old 02-02-2014, 08:59 PM   #4
Third Shift
Just pulled the trigger on an Icon AAL... I need to stop being so impulsive.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:34 PM   #6
ROAD DAWG is on a distinguished road
Navy: boatswains'mate,2nd
ROAD DAWG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatguyJZ View Post
super clean build man,how do you like the 5160's with the 4 leaf pack?i'm on bilstein 5100's and had my tsb done a year ago,ride is nice,but those 5160's look so cool.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:39 AM   #7
Third Shift
Thanks guys!

Firetaco - I didn't really measure anything before, but the Baja suspension did lift the front end a few inches from the difference in wheel gap. Driving behind other cars, I can tell the cut off for my headlights is higher than before... something I'm hoping fixes itself when I install the AAL to bring back some rake. I've had coilovers for years on other cars that I've owned. Been there, done that, and honestly just tired of it haha. This suspension is exactly what I wanted and should fit my needs just perfect.

Road Dawg - The 4 leaf pack is still pretty soft. With two people sitting on my tailgate I was nose high. Performance wise, to be honest I haven't really pushed it all that hard. I feel like with the external reservoirs they're one of those things you really have to thrash on to see the benefit. It feels good over junky roads and overall I'm very satisfied with it. I got it up to speed over some open gravel/dirt the other day and it felt plenty confident and smooth. Realistically, you could say it's overkill, but I'm in it for the fun.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:38 AM   #8
whisk3ythrottle is on a distinguished road

Name: Colin
whisk3ythrottle's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm looking at doing a similar set up to what you have because I think your truck looks very level in the pictures you have. So the front is the baja suspension? and the rear ICON AAL is three leafs added on to the original pack? Also, when you say you have four leaves, does that include your overload leaf?
Old 02-15-2014, 01:29 AM   #9
Third Shift
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisk3ythrottle View Post
I'm looking at doing a similar set up to what you have because I think your truck looks very level in the pictures you have. So the front is the baja suspension? and the rear ICON AAL is three leafs added on to the original pack? Also, when you say you have four leaves, does that include your overload leaf?

Thanks. I haven't installed the Icon AAL yet. In all the pics so far it's just the Baja Suspension with my factory 4 leaf pack. It's close to level, but with the rear maybe 1/2 an inch lower than the front.

Yeah, by saying 4 leaf pack, I mean 3 leaf plus one overload. So honestly, it's the exact same setup as a factory Baja.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:55 AM   #10
ROAD DAWG is on a distinguished road
Navy: boatswains'mate,2nd
ROAD DAWG's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Thanks. I haven't installed the Icon AAL yet. In all the pics so far it's just the Baja Suspension with my factory 4 leaf pack. It's close to level, but with the rear maybe 1/2 an inch lower than the front.

Yeah, by saying 4 leaf pack, I mean 3 leaf plus one overload. So honestly, it's the exact same setup as a factory Baja.
not really seeing that"1/2 in lower" in the back,looks level to me,unless the front is on a slight road incline,but i think the icon aal will do you justice,either way it'll look good..man you did a great job.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:35 PM   #11
Third Shift
Thanks Road Dawg! I appreciate it!
Old 02-20-2014, 02:56 PM   #12
.J. is on a distinguished road
Name: Jason
.J.'s Tacoma Gallery
Subed and thanks for the heads up on the Salex, bought one based off of your photo alone.

Keep up the momentum,
J.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:41 AM   #13
whisk3ythrottle is on a distinguished road

Name: Colin
whisk3ythrottle's Tacoma Gallery
Where did you find the baja suspension kit? And if I'm not mistaken, it looks like the front coilovers have two notches for different ride heights. Are you on the higher setting if that is the case?
Old 02-23-2014, 09:02 PM   #14
Third Shift
The shocks are not adjustable, but you are right about them being different. The front left and front right shock are different part numbers for a reason. The lip for the perch on the driver's side is higher, to account for lean, with a grove below it. While the perch lip on the passenger's side is lower, with a grove above it.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:35 PM   #15
stevecraighead is on a distinguished road
stevecraighead's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2014 4 door 4 x4 TRD Off Road and want to put the same wheels on my truck. Is there any thing else I need except the wheels. I found some on E-bay from Toyota dealership in California.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:56 PM   #16
Third Shift
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecraighead View Post
I have a 2014 4 door 4 x4 TRD Off Road and want to put the same wheels on my truck. Is there any thing else I need except the wheels. I found some on E-bay from Toyota dealership in California.

Wheels and lugnuts. I got my lugnuts from Discount Tire instead of the way overpriced TRD lugs. They use a low profile, tuner style spline drive.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:39 PM   #17
Third Shift
Installed some SR / TRD Pro smoked headlights today. Here's a couple shots of them next to the normal chrome bezel lights to help show the difference. I updated the original thread with a quick pic of them installed.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:29 PM   #19
Third Shift
They were around $470 from the dealer.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:40 PM   #20
TRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TRDMEDIC's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have the part number for the gentex mirror? Does that one have the temp display as well?

Products Discussed in this Thread