Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

Matt's 2012 Tacoma "Daily Driver" Build

Old 12-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #1
06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
06HAOLE's Tacoma Gallery
06HAOLE'S 2012 Tacoma "Daily Driver" Build

I bought this 2012 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 w/TRD Off-Road package used with 4565 miles on the odometer from San Marcos Toyota in San Marcos, Texas. This is my fourth Toyota Tacoma and by far the nicest I've ever had.

My plan for this truck is for it to be a weekend warrior that does not require any more maintenance other than changing the oil and an occasional coat of wax.

So far I am keeping with my goal of a fun weekend warrior. I wont go LT until I can do it all at once and do it right..........Thats the plan anyway

How it sits now. 30 March 2014

2012 Toyota Tacoma 4WD w/TRD Off-Road Package and OEM towing package

Current Mods:

EXTERIOR
TRD Sport hood
Toyota OEM bed mat
Window tint 35%

LIGHTING
Rigid 30" E series light bar mounted using Rigid bracket part #40156
Rigid Dually lights (2) w/amber covers (dust lights)
PIAA headlight bulbs

INTERIOR
Toyota All-Weather floor mats
Toyota Entune Navigation

FRONT SUSPENSION
Total Chaos UCA
King 2.5" OEM Extended travel coil-over w/Resi and 700lbs springs
Removed front sway bar
(ordered) Total Chaos stock length race lowers
(ordered) Total Chaos secondary shock hoop
(ordered) King double bypass for secondary shock
Solo Motorsports spindle gussets

REAR SUSPENSION
All-Pro standard leaf pack
King 2.5" OEM Rear resi shocks w/1" longer rod end

DRIVETRAIN
TRD exhaust
TRD drop in air filter

WHEELS AND TIRES
Method Double Standard 16x8 wheels
BF Goodrich All Terrain 285/75R16 tires

MISC
EBC Stage 4 brake kit
Stainless brake lines F/R
All-Pro IFS skid
Demello Offroad Bolt-on sliders
Cab mount chop done by Speed Freak in SD
Bestop soft topper
Hella Super Tones horn

My last truck was a 2006 Tacoma 4x4 DCSB that evolved from a weekend warrior/rock crawler into a full tilt LT build. I loved that truck but the time it took to keep it in shape was more than I had to give and I sold it in 2011. My advice is if your going to have a full-tilt LT truck then keep it parked during the week and drive a DD economical car to work. All of the fun goes out of it when you need to work on your ride to get to work.

The build thread
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-lt-build.html
Old 12-29-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
06HAOLE's Tacoma Gallery
This was with my first suspension and tire combo. I had my King coil-overs at zero lift and ran the Icon AAL with my stock leaf pack with overload spring removed. I ran my stock TRD off-road wheels with 265/75R16 BFG All-Terrains.

This was a perfect combo that didnt rub anywhere and let me get 18-20mpg on the highway.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
06HAOLE's Tacoma Gallery
I did the cab mount chop, raised my coil-overs, added the BFG 285's on Method wheels, and added the All-Pro standard leaf pack.

I picked up a used Rigid 30" E-series LED light bar on Race Dezert for cheap that was originally used on a Class 7200 truck for one race. I used the Rigid brackets part #40156 to mount it in my lower valence. The brackets are designed to use with a Rigid 30" SR single row light bar. Other members have stuffed 30" LED double row light bars in the lower valence with good success so I followed a proven formula and did the same.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:51 PM   #4
uscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: AMT3 kodiak 60T jayhawks
Name: coby
uscg2008's Tacoma Gallery
Thats def a good start man, it's a good clean truck.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:19 PM   #7
06HAOLE's Tacoma Gallery
I picked up these Rigid dually lights BNIB from a fellow TW member for a great price. I plan to use both of these as dust lights by buying the yellow clip on filters from Rigid.

http://www.rigidindustries.com/light-covers/20193

I also picked up these Hella Super Horns from 4WP. I used a $25 off a $50 purchase coupon and picked up these $60 horns for $35. I had these on my last truck and they are a great upgrade to the stock horn.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:20 PM   #8
06HAOLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscg2008 View Post
Thats def a good start man, it's a good clean truck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusher View Post
Good lookin' truck man! I'll be keeping an eye out for your future mods!
Quote:
Originally Posted by krob32 View Post
Nice. Clean job with the light.
Thanks guys. I have held off on modifying this truck for a long time. Im excited to finally put a few parts on it.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:41 PM   #9
05azyota is on a distinguished road

05azyota's Tacoma Gallery
Beautiful truck. Those method wheels are sweet!

I've been considering a similar suspension set up on my own rig.. curious what the ride is like with the all pro leafs? Does it feel pretty stiff in the back when youre driving around town?

Also is the ride on the kings quite nice? I've heard back and forth comments that the OEM kings ride a little stiff compared to say an icon, but seeing you had the LT before I was assuming you fell in with the kings.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:55 AM   #10
06HAOLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05azyota View Post
Beautiful truck. Those method wheels are sweet!

I've been considering a similar suspension set up on my own rig.. curious what the ride is like with the all pro leafs? Does it feel pretty stiff in the back when youre driving around town?

Also is the ride on the kings quite nice? I've heard back and forth comments that the OEM kings ride a little stiff compared to say an icon, but seeing you had the LT before I was assuming you fell in with the kings.
The All-Pro standards feel great riding around town and don't ride stiff to me. I've had no issues other than I want them to settle a bit. I plan on doing a quick shakedown run soon and that will help them settle.

My preference for King over Icon is for their parts availability and ease to rebuild. They are both top companies that make great products. I ran Icons/Donahoe Racing shocks on my last truck before I went LT and loved them.

The whole progressive/digressive coil over debate is silly to me. They both stiffen up your ride a lot on the street and soften up well in the dirt. The only variable to me worth mentioning is having the right coil spring 600/650/700 and valving for the weight of your truck. These can both be adjusted regardless of which shock you buy. Some guys buy Eibach or King springs and put them on Icon shocks. It's all about having the shock set-up for your particular truck.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:33 PM   #11
Rock magnet
BajaRunner has much to be proud ofBajaRunner has much to be proud ofBajaRunner has much to be proud ofBajaRunner has much to be proud ofBajaRunner has much to be proud ofBajaRunner has much to be proud ofBajaRunner has much to be proud ofBajaRunner has much to be proud of

Law Enforcement: Police Sergeant
Name: Drew
BajaRunner's Tacoma Gallery
So much for keeping it simple huh? I remember talking to you when I was selling my 06 DMZ built 4Runner, we were both talking about buying new trucks and doing a simple expo build. The new truck is looking great you have the wheels I want. How are the All Pro standard leaf packs? Did they give you a lot of rake from front to rear? I'm considering a set or a customized Deaver J66 pack.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:56 PM   #12
06HAOLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaRunner View Post
So much for keeping it simple huh? I remember talking to you when I was selling my 06 DMZ built 4Runner, we were both talking about buying new trucks and doing a simple expo build. The new truck is looking great you have the wheels I want. How are the All Pro standard leaf packs? Did they give you a lot of rake from front to rear? I'm considering a set or a customized Deaver J66 pack.
It has been a long time man. The All Pro standards have given the truck a lot of rake but I need to really flex them out and put my spare tire back in. I know they will settle an inch or so once that happens.

I would stick with these standards vice a customized Deaver. J-66 pack. Those Deavers are going to be another $250 over the All-Pro and I don't see how they will be much better. Just make sure you get long shocks because these All Pros have 10-11" of travel in them and most bolt in shocks are too short. I need to add limit straps as it is to protect my Kings .
Old 01-01-2014, 12:57 PM   #13
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Old 01-02-2014, 01:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06HAOLE View Post
The whole progressive/digressive coil over debate is silly to me. They both stiffen up your ride a lot on the street and soften up well in the dirt. The only variable to me worth mentioning is having the right coil spring 600/650/700 and valving for the weight of your truck. These can both be adjusted regardless of which shock you buy. Some guys buy Eibach or King springs and put them on Icon shocks. It's all about having the shock set-up for your particular truck.

What size coil spring did you go with on yours? and how much extra $$ was it to get a longer rod end for the rear?

I appreciate your suggestions. Your build is almost exactly what I was wanting to go in the direction for mine. One day LT, but I know itll be a pain to break/fix in order to DD a LT truck.

I also forgot to ask whats your opinion on the expo vs standard all pro leaf springs? if youre going to have that extra weight of gear/rear bumper then defiantly the expo springs?
Old 01-02-2014, 08:16 AM   #15
06HAOLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What size coil spring did you go with on yours? and how much extra $$ was it to get a longer rod end for the rear?

I appreciate your suggestions. Your build is almost exactly what I was wanting to go in the direction for mine. One day LT, but I know itll be a pain to break/fix in order to DD a LT truck.

I also forgot to ask whats your opinion on the expo vs standard all pro leaf springs? if youre going to have that extra weight of gear/rear bumper then defiantly the expo springs?
I'm running the 600lbs King springs that came with them off the shelf. I don't plan on adding a plate bumper or a winch so a 600lbs spring is good for me. Icons come with a 650 lbs spring off the shelf I believe. Downsouth Motorsports can build you a King or an Icon coilover with the correct spring.

The longer rod ends are like $80 or so. I don't remember if that is per shock or total. Sonny at Downsouth Motorsports added the longer rods to my shocks when I brought them to him used for a rebuild.

I have no experience with the Expo springs but there seems to be quite a few of the Expo guys who run them and love them.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:05 AM   #16

Just curious any new developments on this "Daily Driver"? I know you mentioned limiting straps to protect the Kings. But anything else goin on?

I appreciate your insight. This is the sorta MT daily driver build Id like to use to get my own ideas going.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:31 PM   #17
rcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rcfreak201's Tacoma Gallery
Wow your truck looks sick Matt! So clean

Needs some TC lowers and bolt on hydro bumps now.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:45 PM   #18
06HAOLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just curious any new developments on this "Daily Driver"? I know you mentioned limiting straps to protect the Kings. But anything else goin on?

I appreciate your insight. This is the sorta MT daily driver build Id like to use to get my own ideas going.
I haven't gotten around to limit straps yet. It needs to happen.....

My only new addition was wiring up the Rigid Duallys I picked up and buying yellow covers for them to use as dust lights. I mounted them on the rear bed rail with bolt on brackets.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:50 PM   #19
06HAOLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfreak201 View Post
Wow your truck looks sick Matt! So clean

Needs some TC lowers and bolt on hydro bumps now.
Thanks man. I do want to run the TC lowers with a secondary shock but I'm waiting on a used setup to come up in the classifieds. I'm just waiting for someone to upgrade to a full 3.5" LT kit.

I think that a secondary shock and rear hydro bumps will complete my suspension for the next few years.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:49 AM   #20
06HAOLE's Tacoma Gallery
My coil overs were really soft on my last offroad trip to Barstow so I contacted the crew at Downsouth Motorsports this week to swap out my 600lbs springs for a 700 lbs spring.

Im a double cab short bed 4x4 without a plate bumper so I thought that I would be fine with the 600lbs springs.

I have the coil overs back on the truck now so we will see how they settle. Im also curious to see if I need to go back down to a 600lbs spring when I add a secondary shock next year.