LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

My Slow Build/Plan/Wishlist

Old 02-03-2014, 10:28 PM   #1
ToyotaLover
Smar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
Smar969905's Tacoma Gallery
My Slow Build/Plan/Wishlist

So I have had my truck for about 2 and a half years now, and have seen other people's builds, and thought it might be about time to start mine, without pics for now.

For those who don't care about my story, skip down to the Have done section. For anybody else, here is a little story. Before I got my truck, my wife and I had been renting a condo that was a little over 1000 square feet with at the time 3 dogs and a cat. I ended up getting in a wreck in my car, which left her totalled. The wife and I had been looking into buying a house as well to upsize a bit. We ended up buying our first house at the bottom of the market, about the best possible time to buy, and got a 2548 square foot house landed on 3.28 acres. While looking for a house, I was also looking for a new vehicle for me, because I didn't want to be using my little brother's car for long. With the thought in mind of having property, I said that I would need a truck, so I looked at various trucks online, including dodge, chevy, toyota, nissan, suzuki, mitsubishi, but not ford. After comparing them all, for the packages I would not live without, Toyota kept coming out cheapest, I liked the look of 2nd gen Tacos best, and I have only owned toyotas my whole life. So in a 3 week period of time, I bought a truck, bought a house, and got married (in that order too). I got my 2011 MGM 2.7 liter 5 speed ACLB 4x4. I really only told the dealership I wanted the 4 banger, 4x4, manual, ACLB, and not black or anthracite for color.

Since then, she has received the name Chaquita Magneta Taquito. I call her Magneta for short. She arrived as my girl with about 80 miles on her.

Shortly after getting her, I was quickly seeing a need to pull a trailer, since I had my mom's best friend's utility trailer sitting around my place. My parents paid for a tow package to be installed onto my truck by a local uhaul store. That came with a 4 pin flat connector. It wasn't long before my wife was looking at horse trailers to pull our 16.2 hand gelding around to ride on some local trails. Every horse trailer we found except 1 of them required a 7 pin round connector, so I went back to the morons at this uhaul store and had them install a brake controller, 7 pin round (with built in 5 pin flat) connector, and do the wiring for these, as I didn't have time with work to do it myself. It took 3 tries for them to get it working right, and even then, they only had 5 of the 7 pins hooked up. I looked up with the wiring should be, and did the rest myself and I now have a fully functional 7 pin round harness at the back end of my truck to go with my tow bar.

While watching TW, I decided I wanted to get some armor for my poor truck, since I got her under the theory that a truck isn't a truck unless you abuse it like a truck, and my girl was no trailer or pavement princess. The first group buy I could afford was BAMF LCA skids. I got lucky and got a "blemished pair" because a hole or 2 for the carriage bolts wasn't cut quite right. Since then, I have also replaced the front piece of steel meant as a secondary front recover point with an actual hook. Off of my tow bar, I usually have a triball stinger in, but for offroad excursions, I swap that out for a hook that is less likely to get caught on a tree root on the first dip in a run. I also did the secondary air filter removal very early on and noticed a difference right away. Recently, I read the 2Low mod, and got a good start on that, but got to a pausing point where I may need to dig deeper in to see if I can really make it happen because the writeup was done for 08 and older second gens.

After having been on TW for awhile, I finally went on my first wheeling trip, and that was both a triumphant success for me, as well as a great learning experience for how to do some things, as well as what to carry with me.

Have done:
Uhaul Tow Package w/ 7 pin harness (2 additional fused circuits added [5A & 10A] for brake controller and Aux power)
BAMF LCA Skids
Front recovery hook replacement
Secondary Air Filter Removal
Drink Beer
Share good beer with fellow TWers

What I Want/Plan/Hope to do:
Suspension all around, about a 3" lift, and heavier duty springs all around, maybe air bags in rear as well but not sure yet. I think I want the CS047R Rear Leaf Springs, Dakar pack.
Front bumper - custom using a piece of 4"x8" tube steel, 5/16" sidewalls, not entirely sure on design yet
Winch - Promark 12k#
Rear bumper - Custom Made by member 55chevy05Taco, high clearance, 2" receiver, pull out spare tire carrier
skid plates - Front/mid one piece skid custom made by 55chevy05taco, other skids but not sure what yet
2nd set of wheels - with true beadlocks, and a very aggressive offroad tire
Sliders - custom designed and made by member jeverich
2Low mod - started
Extra exterior lighting
New AT All season tires (Hankook Dynapro ATm RF10 in 265/75/16)
Hood Struts

Considering but not sure I want to do:
Air Lockers
Canopy
Under hood hard mounted air compressor
Get a bigger truck
Rent my body to get mod money faster
Gun rack
Old 02-04-2014, 12:57 PM   #2
Jhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedJhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedJhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedJhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedJhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedJhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedJhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedJhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedJhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedJhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedJhodgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
Jhodgman's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

"Have done:
Uhaul Tow Package w/ 7 pin harness (2 additional fused circuits added [5A & 10A] for brake controller and Aux power)
BAMF LCA Skids
Front recovery hook replacement
Secondary Air Filter Removal
Drink Beer
Share good beer with fellow TWers"

I like the bottom 2 on the list. This goes well with just about any mod.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:54 PM   #3
ToyotaLover
Smar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Providing beer for others tends to have positive consequences. Another guy here has given me all his stock suspension and a couple aftermarket lights he had on his bumper. Could be because he likes me, although sharing beer with him couldn't have hurt anything.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:12 PM   #4
oldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Maintainer
Name: John
oldblue1968chevy's Tacoma Gallery
Haha im in spokane as well!
Old 02-15-2014, 08:16 PM   #5
ToyotaLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue1968chevy View Post
Haha im in spokane as well!
Not in Spokanistan yet. Big move is on Tuesday.