Notices

darkfader's mild build and pic thread

Old 08-15-2014, 07:00 PM   #1
darkfader is on a distinguished road

Firefighter:
Name: Josh
darkfader's Tacoma Gallery
darkfader's mild build and pic thread

i've had my '13 DCSB Sport for a couple weeks now, and thanks to this site, i'm dying to throw money at it.

after some exhausting research, i'm pretty sure i have a good idea for my parts list. i've read almost the entire suspension and wheel sections here and still just a little confused, but i think i have a good idea of what i want to do and need to buy to get there. i'll be using this thread for pics and updates, and a log of sorts to keep track of my mods. please, by all means, if anyone sees something wrong, or just wants to comment on anything at all, feel free to chime in.

i bought my '13 used with 16k miles on it. it had a Body Armor rear bumper on it that i did not like so i traded mine for a stock bumper with Bob who is 'Drainbung' on here. helluva nice guy and his taco is badass. i'm sure you all know what a body armor bumper looks like, but here's a pic of what my truck looked like when i bought it.

my new stock bumper is magnetic gray, and currently at my dealership getting shot with silver to match my rig. once i get it back, i'll mount it up and take a pic for the thread.

now for the list of mods i would like to do.

- small lift with the end result being a level truck
- wheels and tires with a slightly wider stance than stock
- tint driver and passenger windows to match the rear
- laminX headlights to prevent dulling
- front skid plate
- side steps
- some kind of grill mod(undecided)
- some kind of bed cover, undecided on a tonneau or cap
Old 08-15-2014, 07:14 PM   #2

Firefighter:
FOR MY LIFT, i have read so many threads and i believe my best bet will be billsteins all the way around, eibach coils, and a wheeler's progressive 3 leaf AAL. i'll install the 1/4" spacer on the driver's front while i'm in there to eliminate the taco lean. i'm not exactly sure if this will get me what i want. i know this is a topic that is beaten to death and there is so much info out there, it's overwhelming. i've measured my heights at each hub and fender on a fairly flat garage floor, and here is what i have:

driver's front - 20.5"
driver's rear - 21.75"
pass front - 20.75"
pass rear - 21.75"

i'm measuring from the center of the toyota symbol on my hub cover so i'm doing the best i can on these measurements. my main thing is having the truck as close to level as possible while bringing it up just a little. if i don't need to invest in UCA's, i'd rather not.

i THINK that billsteins with the eibach coils and a 1.5" 3 leaf pack can get me there, yes? not entirely sure which setting the front shocks need to be on, but i haven't ordered anything yet and will not until i have talked to vendors and gotten enough feedback from you guys to know i'm doing the right thing.

my main issue is, even though i already have 3+overload factory leafs, they look awfully flat to me, even with only 17k on them. so part of me believes that i should save for a complete new leaf pack. should i mention this to the dealer while i still have warranty? with brand new factory leafs, would the 3 leaf progressive pack be good for me. my lift will be more for looks than for any serious off roading. at most i will hit trails and farm roads during hunting season. typically this truck will see highway commuting so i will still want a comfortable ride.

thanks for any advice on this matter as the possibilities and combinations seem endless.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:27 PM   #3

Firefighter:
WHEELS AND TIRES

another topic that scares me. i know i want the ultra maverick. i have no freakin clue what size or offset to go with though.

here are my options:

17x8 with a 0, 10, or 25 offset
18x9 with a -6, 10, or 25 offset

i want a wider stance than stock but don't want them to stick out too far. i know that's vague but i hate to sling rocks up on my flawless paint at this point.

i will go with hercules terra trac AT II no matter what because i get a great deal on them. wheel size will obviously dictate tire size, but i'd rather not have any trimming. i'm not against removing mudflaps, but i'm apprehensive to do any cutting. i refuse to chop a cab mount.

how much offset can an 8" wheel have without trimming? and a 9" wheel?

if i understand offsets and backspace, my stock 17's are 7.5 wide with a 30 mm offset. so an 8" wheel with a 0 offset would stick out about a 1 3/4"?? this is what i need help with. i want the wider stance without trimming or rubbing. i will post up in the wheel and tire thread when i get closer to purchasing of course, but if anyone knows the answers to my questions here, feel free to post up. i will do my lift first so i have an inch or two more height, and i realize stock is what fits. i don't need to go larger like 285s or anything.

i think these will look nice against my silver paint:

Old 08-15-2014, 07:32 PM   #4

Firefighter:
i should be getting the tint done this week and of course i will post pics. but for now, here's a few pics of my taco with others at work. about half of my department own tacos whether first gen or second. there's several 4runners as well as a couple tundras. we all love our yotas!

Old 08-21-2014, 07:10 AM   #5

Firefighter:
just a little update, i got my new stock bumper back from the dealer's body/paint shop a couple days ago and got it mounted up. i'm so happy to have the proper part and color back there finally! i think it looks great and the color is a perfect match. it only cost me 80$ for the paint.

i'm struggling on my decisions for the lift. i'm thinking of just getting 5100's front and rear and just raising the front enough to level it. i don't want to deal with vibes or any other problems, so maybe just level the front to the rear, get it aligned and call it good. if i decide i want to go higher in the future, i suppose i still can.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:16 AM   #6

Firefighter:
i finally had the time to drop the taco off for tint this morning. i'm happy with the results.

i ordered 5100's from headstrong off-road, and marie was very nice to deal with. she told me she only had 3 sets available and 2 were already spoken for so i quickly paid for the last set and she had them drop shipped straight from her supplier. ups tracking shows them only an hour away from my house as of last night so i'm hoping they arrive today but if not it's ok as i will probably wait until i can get into the dealer for the driveline vibes TSB now that i know the 6speed manuals have been included.

i'm still torn on wheel sizing. i can't decide whether to go with the 17x8 with 0 offset or the 18x9 with -6 offset. if anyone has any suggestions, i'm all ears. thanks
Old 09-05-2014, 08:34 AM   #7

Firefighter:
i just got home from work and this was waiting for me! : taco:

i also stopped by the stealership this morning and scheduled an appointment to 'diagnose' my driveline vibes. the service manager said they would diagnose it and then order parts so hopefully i don't get the run-around on it. once that is complete i will install the 5100's.