1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mountain State Overland - Overland Conversion

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by msoverland, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Jan 21, 2015 at 11:58 AM
    msoverland

msoverland [OP] Mountain State Overland

Member:
    First Name:
    Mountain State Overland
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma DCSB
    Expedition Equipped
    Mountain State Overland - Overland Conversion

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

During Season 1, we logged several miles of terrain and filmed some amazing stories in Appalachia during 2014 and we're doing it again in 2015! Over the next few weeks will be making some major to changes to the MSO Tacoma and sharing some details from the build here on TacomaWorld.

It's been and will continue to be a busy few weeks as we work through each phase of the builds and film the different stages of the conversion. Both builds will be filmed on location at the Blue Ridge Overland Gear shop in Bedford County, VA.

So grab your laptop, your choice beverage and share your comments as we prepare the trucks for Season 2 of Mountain State Overland.

Truck: 2013 Toyota Tacoma 4DR TRD Off Road 6SPD w/ Leer 100R Truck Cap

Phase 1: Suspension Swap and Front Bumper complete

[OLD]
    Toytec Eibach Coils
    Toytec 1/2" Spacer - Driver
    Toytec 1/4" Spacer - Passenger
    Toytec Rear Add-a-Leaf
    Bilstein 5100 0.85" - Front
    Bilstein 5100 - Rear
    Stock bumper and fog lights
    [NEW]
    SPC Performance Light Racing Upper Control Arms
    OME 886 Coils
    OME Dakar Leafs
    OME 9000 - Front
    OME Sport - Rear
    ARB Deluxe Bull Bar
    ARB Bull Bar LED Signals
    ARB Bull Bar Fog Lights​

Phase 2: Electrical and Accessories complete

[NEW]
    Trail Gear Battery Box
    DFNA True Dual Battery Kit
    Blue Sea Fuse Panel
    Blue Sea Fuse Block
    Blue Sea USB and 12V Sockets
    IPF 900DB Dual Beam Lights
    Lifetime LED Rear Lights
    Warn Xeon 8 Winch
    Engel MT45
    K40 Antenna
    Cobra 75WXST CB Radio​

Phase 3: Storage complete

[OLD]
    Custom Full Bed Drawer Slide​

[NEW]
    Prinsu Design Studio Cabrac and Toprac
    Goose Gear Storage
    Tembo Tusk Standard Front Pull Slide w/ Cutting Board​

Phase 4: Shelter complete

[EXISTING]
    Oztent Foxwing​
    [NEW]
    Cascadia Vehicle Tents(CVT) - Mt. Bachelor​

Phase 5: Finishing Touches complete

[NEW]
    Vehicle Wrap​

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
    Arailt likes this.
  2. Feb 3, 2015 at 5:39 PM
    zscott

zscott Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB Off-Road 4x4
  3. Feb 4, 2015 at 7:33 PM
    msoverland

Member:
    First Name:
    Mountain State Overland
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma DCSB
    Expedition Equipped
    That's right Zach - let's play ball!

First on the list for Phase 1 was dropping out the OEM upper control arms to give the Tacoma a little more travel, camber adjustment and clearance for larger tires at some point.

We installed a set of new SPC Performance Light Racing UCAs that we purchased here on TacomaWorld. The install went fairly easy with only some minor sheet metal bending in the fender to allow for removing and resetting the long UCA bolt. We resourced the SPC Performance install video and some of the other install threads here on TW to make sure we didn't miss any important steps.

The alignment was a different story - I didn't tell the alignment shop about the extra camber adjustments available on the LR UCAs and I paid the price.

After the first alignment, the truck came out with about 2.0 degree of positive camber but it was too late before I realized it. I took it to some friends at Firestone for the second alignment and delivered the adjustment sheet from SPC Performance so they were aware of the options for tuning things in.

The Tacoma is sitting true now and I'll share some pictures of the setup after we've completed the bumper install.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Feb 4, 2015 at 7:56 PM
    Nate87

Nate87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    2013 AC TRD OR
    Can't wait! Interested to see the electrical work going into this thing.

Nate

5. Feb 10, 2015 at 7:54 PM
    msoverland

Member:
    First Name:
    Mountain State Overland
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma DCSB
    Expedition Equipped
    Me too Nate87, ha! The plan is to fit the battery in the engine bay on the passenger fender up against the fire wall. There's a nice open space there and we've got a battery cage that should weld in perfectly!

6. Feb 10, 2015 at 8:04 PM
    msoverland

Member:
    First Name:
    Mountain State Overland
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma DCSB
    Expedition Equipped
    OME 886 coils and 9000 series shocks are in and mounted! We got a little lazy with the camera for the install unfortunately and it was probably a good thing; there was a bit of words exchanged and some tools flying across the garage.

Some aftermarket lower control arms may have made the install a bit easier but we got 'er done. The spring compressors stopped squeezing the coils about 1/2" too short so we improvised by loosening the LCA bolts and dropping it down enough to get it the coil and shocks in place.

I guess I didn't figure it'd be a tough install after swapping out the front end in the past a few times to make adjustments the 5100s and add spacers - I was wrong. Anyhow, its done and the LR UCAs resulted in good numbers when I had it aligned at Firestone.

I had the OME Dakar leafs installed at a local offroad shop. For the price they offered for the install I couldn't refuse. The only thing they didn't address was the parking brake cable. I ordered some of the factory cable hangers from Toyota and fitted them onto the spring clamp bolts on either side as I was worried that that the leafs would gradually wear through the cables.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  7. Feb 10, 2015 at 8:30 PM
    msoverland

Member:
    First Name:
    Mountain State Overland
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma DCSB
    Expedition Equipped
    [​IMG]

With the front and rear suspension in check I moved on to the bumper. Since the team split up and headed back home, I planned to wrap up the install over a few evenings in my own garage.

With instructions in hand, the ARB Deluxe went on with very few glitches. Popping plastic rivets and being patient was the key. I only snapped a small piece of the filler plate under the headlights because I got a little rushed. Where the bumper bracket bolts underneath the radiator was really the only chore and nothing some kicking, a board and a sledge hammer couldn't fix.

Cutting the existing plastic bumper was only tricky because there's a bit of interpreting involved with the supplied instructions. Either way, I was happy with the lines I marked and cut using a laser jig saw.

With the brackets set, I simple carried the bumper over, reseted it in place and set the bolts. I torqued everything to spec and I'll double check when its time to mount the winch.

For the LED turn signals and fog lamps, I spliced, soldered and wrapped them generously with 3M electrical tape. I had to test the leads for the turn signals since there wasn't really any guidance or instructions available.

The only pieces that are missing now are the winch pan and splash guard. I plan on leaving them off the truck until I can get to the winch this weekend. Here's how she sits with with the new suspension and bumper - just a little more work and its on to the electronics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  8. Feb 18, 2015 at 8:07 PM
    msoverland

Member:
    First Name:
    Mountain State Overland
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma DCSB
    Expedition Equipped
    With Phase 1 of the MSO Tacoma Overland Conversion build complete, we're quickly moving into Phase 2. We spent the better part of the weekend brainstorming where to fit the second battery under the hood.

Instead of buying/installing an aftermarket dual battery setup to replace the existing OEM battery, we opted to save money and offset the weight of second battery on the passenger fender well. Under the hood of the 6SPD 2013 Tacoma, theres a large opening against the firewall on the passenger side where I knew I could fit a group 34/78 AGM battery; I just had to figure out some way to mount it.

I couldn't convince myself to fork out several hundred $ on 2 new AGM batteries and a dual battery mount so I purchased a Trail Gear Battery Box ($35) and a single Diehard Platinum Group 34 ($200). With a little thought and some minor fab work, we positioned the battery box for easy service and ample clearance under a closed hood.

The only cutting needed was an existing factory mounting plate and some threaded studs. We welded the battery box in so that beads were set vertically along the fender supports and laterally along the fender well. As it sits, the weight of the battery will be dispersed along the fender and wheel hump.

To make battery extraction a little easier, we stitched a webbing loop around the batter so it could easily be pulled out when it comes time to replace it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Feb 18, 2015 at 8:36 PM
    Nate87

Nate87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    2013 AC TRD OR
    AWW COME ON! We need more photos than that! What's that ARB breather lead to?

10. Feb 26, 2015 at 5:14 PM
    msoverland

Member:
    First Name:
    Mountain State Overland
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma DCSB
    Expedition Equipped
    Hahaha! You're right, I missed a couple from the battery cage install; here's what I did for prep work before we got to welding -

1. Pull this dohicky off the passenger fender, unplug it and set it aside; you'll need to relocate it later.

[​IMG]

2. Start moving stuff out of the way so you can test fit the cage.

[​IMG]

3. Hack off the three studs the stand vertically on the fender unless something already mounted to 'em - if this is the case you might be SOL.

[​IMG]

4. Use mineral spirits or rubbing alcohol and wipe down the surface of the cage; it ships as oiled bare metal. I used my Big Buddy heater to help bake the paint on between coats. (Be sure you're heater is out of the way when you start spraying or else your night might end pretty quick.)

[​IMG]

5. Test fit again, grind down for your welds and start mending. Does help give you a better picture Nate87?

11. Feb 26, 2015 at 5:24 PM
    msoverland

Member:
    First Name:
    Mountain State Overland
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma DCSB
    Expedition Equipped
    The ARB Breather leads to the rear diff; it's a very easy install. I was honestly expecting it to take some time finding all the existing breathers but half of them already come up into the engine bay.

Everything you need is included in the box and I even ordered more hose but never used it. Here's some snap shots from the install -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pirhett likes this.
  12. Feb 26, 2015 at 8:33 PM
    zscott

zscott Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB Off-Road 4x4
    That garage though. Wish mine looked like that. Nice install pics. The breather is still something I need to do.:eek:

13. Feb 28, 2015 at 9:28 AM
    2012Taco

2012Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB TRD
    OME 886's & Dakar's & LR UCA's, LT265/75 Duratrac's on Countersteer Offroads, 100RCC, ARB 50 fridge/freezer, ARB bullbar w/ Warn 9.5xps, dual battery setup, on board air and water, PrInSu topper rack carrying the gear and more to come!
    Keep the updates coming guys, I remember meeting you guys at the Mid Atlantic Overland Festival last year and got some ideas from your build. Beautiful shop by the way!

14. Feb 28, 2015 at 12:42 PM
    Nate87

Nate87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    2013 AC TRD OR
    Right on! Thanks. Can't tell from the photos, but did the battery cage end up being bolted in or welded in?

For the ARB breather, do you plan to connect front diff breathers to it as well?

Looking good!

15. Mar 1, 2015 at 6:56 AM
    msoverland

Member:
    First Name:
    Mountain State Overland
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma DCSB
    Expedition Equipped
    Thanks for the comments guys!

Wish mine did too! That's the shop of a close friend of mine; I'd never give up my Beemer for a Harley ;-)

Thanks man! Yeah, I remember you and that sweet trailer for sure. If I'm not mistaken you had just installed an OME setup on your truck then? Hope to see you there again this year!

Yep, it's welded in; couldn't figure out a way to bolt it in without rubbing the battery. As for the breather, no. The existing breather lines from the front end come up as high as I already have the ARB Breather. And for the work it would require I opted to keep it factory. If I'm ever that deep in water I'll be sucking in H2O through the ARB breather too -

[​IMG]

16. Mar 1, 2015 at 7:37 AM
    2012Taco

2012Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB TRD
    OME 886's & Dakar's & LR UCA's, LT265/75 Duratrac's on Countersteer Offroads, 100RCC, ARB 50 fridge/freezer, ARB bullbar w/ Warn 9.5xps, dual battery setup, on board air and water, PrInSu topper rack carrying the gear and more to come!
    Haha thanks! I'm still running the same suspension as I was then but I've got a pair of 886 coils in the garage that'll probably get swapped in since the ARB and Warn winch are going on soon. How do you like the ride so far with the 886's?

I see you're running the Dakars too; did you go with the extra D29XL leaf in them? I bought them when I bought my whole setup but I still haven't put them in. Even with the topper, fridge, bed drawers and the trailer it still seems to sit fine :confused:

And I hope to make it out there again this year too!

17. Mar 1, 2015 at 7:49 AM
    msoverland

Member:
    First Name:
    Mountain State Overland
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma DCSB
    Expedition Equipped
    Next in line - the Warn Zeon 8 winch and K40 antenna install.

[​IMG]

With the ARB Bumper fitted in place, it's easy to pull the winch into place with a few pull straps and a little patience. By far easier with two people, you can still easily do it all on your own.

Before I started lifting the winch into place, I pulled the control box from the top and prepped it for installing on top of the bumper. There are a few different relocation kits available for the Warn Zeon 8 so make sure you purchase the kit with the mounting bracket. Without the bracket, mounting the control box on the bumper will be a challenge because of its concave base.

With the control box removed, you can begin to lift the winch into place. Once its lined up, set the two top bolts but don't tighten them quite yet. Next, you'll have to mark some extra holes to be drilled on the roller fairlead or find a hawse lead to fit; the factory holes on the ARB bumper don't accept the roller fairlead unfortunately.

Snug the winch up with the fairlead and then find a star bit to clock the winch at 70 degrees. This allows you to access the free spool lever through the access points already cut into the bumper - be careful not to pull the end of the winch off more than a 1/4" when you turn it or you'll have some fun reassembling that end of the winch.

The control box and mounting plate fit together nicely but there's a bit of creativity necessary to find to fit the box on top of the bumper. The ARB bumper is a little too shallow to accommodate the hole pattern for the Zeon 8 mounting plate.

I chose to use the existing control box stand that came with the bumper. With a couple holes marked, I drilled out the plate and stand and bolted it all together. The stand is plenty strong enough to support the weight of the control box if you're wondering.

Final step is wiring and that only took an hour or so to get things dressed up for my taste. While I was already on the floor of the garage, I mounted up the K40 antenna and bent the whip to align with the body too. Here's a few shots from the install; cheers -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  18. Mar 1, 2015 at 5:45 PM
    Base Camp

Base Camp Instagram: @willismtc

Member:
    First Name:
    Willis
    Roanoke, VA
    Vehicle:
    '14 Base Model 4x4
    Wow. Come a long way past couple of months! Glad i found y'alls page. Keep up the good work! :popcorn:

19. Mar 1, 2015 at 5:48 PM
    saundern

saundern Swerve for nothing

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Simpsonville, SC
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport
  20. Mar 2, 2015 at 6:34 PM
    msoverland

Member:
    First Name:
    Mountain State Overland
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma DCSB
    Expedition Equipped
    Awww, is an area code that 540 seems to ring a bell, thanks 540Taco!

And keep stuffing that bag of popcorn Saundern; the build is just a piece of the story.

Cheers guys! :cheers:

Products Discussed in

To Top