Delta00's 2002 Tacoma 4WD

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

AlumEscape Expo Build

Old 03-03-2015, 06:14 PM   #1
2012Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2012Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2012Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2012Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2012Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2012Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2012Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2012Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2012Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2012Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2012Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2012Taco's Tacoma Gallery
AlumEscape Expo Build

Well I figured I ought to get a build thread going on here to track the build of my Tacoma now that it's really gaining some steam. First the basics, it's a 2012 DCLB MGM with the Sport package that I picked up new in December 2011. I really didn't plan to do much to it and was going to keep it stock other than some little things here and there as I already had a play toy (a fairly built '85 Bronco II that I swapped in a 4.0 V6 with efi, small lift, ARB locked front and rear, winch, custom bumpers, etc).

That lasted a about a year or so while I really only added some gingerbread stuff like Wet Okoles, vent visors, did the foglight anytime mod, added the Sienna heated mirrors, etc. When I came due for new tires that's about when the cash started flowing but I'm surprised it took that long.

Now that I've bit the bullet and started building this rig too it's definitely gained some personality. I'd call it an Expo style build, which despite being a bit of a trend right now, is definitely done in my case for a purpose. For those interested in seeing the purpose I have another running build thread over on Expedition Portal for my homemade Expo trailer – check it out here.

Most recent shot, March 2015:

Exterior Work:
Install ARB Bullbar and Warn 9.5xp-s
Partial debadged dailgate

Plastiderped Tacoma on doors and tailgate
Fog light anytime mod

Pop-N-Lock manual locking tailgate handle
LEER 100RCC with Thule Racks
MGM headlight mod
Color-matched the Toyota badge on the grille
Custom “Expedition Edition” bedside decals in matte black from spieler

Expedition Add-Ons:

Dual Diehard Platinum 35 batteries on custom tray/hold down
Blue Sea 7622 Charging System
ARB 50qt fridge, slider and transit bag mounted in the bed
Custom bed drawer setup
Viair 450C compressor and 2.5 gallon tank
On board water using 16 gallon bed mounted tank and FloJet pump
Extended rear diff vent

Interior Work:
Wet Okole seat covers, front and rear

Weathertech floor liners, front and rear
Weathertech vent visors, front and rear
Lighted 4x4 switch using stock 4Runner switch
LED dome and map lights
FJ Cruiser lighted foglight switch
Scan Gauge

Suspension Work:
OME 90000 front struts and 885 coils (driver side shim)
Light Racing UCA's

OME 60091 rear shocks
OME Dakars

Wheels/tires:
Konig Countersteer Offroad wheels, 16x8 in Graphite Gunmetal (x5)
Duratrac LT265/75R16 (x5)

Other Stuff:
Sienna heated mirrors
Locking bed compartment door mod
Manual switch override for reverse camera
LED lighting in topper interior courtesy of mattgecko
Maxtrax
Redline hood struts
Fotga VCI Cable for TPMS sensor reprogramming for rotating in second set of wheels/tires
Tekonsha P3 brake controller

To do this year:

Install extended brake lines and EBC Stage 5 brake kit
Swap in 886 coils in place of the 885's (maybe put the D29XL's in the Dakars too?)
Mount LED driving lamps on the ARB
Mount and wire OTRATTW LED Contura switches in center console (foglights, driving lights, reverse lights, compressor, winch power & winch in/out)

Additions Down the Road:
Fab and install homemade sliders and skids
PrInSu Topper Rack

Homemade rear bumper and carrier for fullsize spare and Rotopax gascans
4.10 re-gear with ARB's, front and rear

First week I had her:

A couple miscellaneous shots through the last year with various upgrades:

^ Installing the OME lift

^ Front done, not a fan of the bro look

^ Excited to get that fixed

^ Much better, even with the stockers

^

^ I was on the fence for a long time about getting a topper cause she looks so good naked – I knew I need the space for the next stage in the build though so I bit the bullet.

^ Went with the LEER 100RCC so that I could get the factory THULE rails with the added roof capacity and went with the windoors on both sides to get access to all my gear. Very happy with the decision!

More pics of old work coming soon along with fresh updates of work as it's done!
Old 03-04-2015, 05:13 PM   #3
Tacotrd311 is on a distinguished road
Tacotrd311's Tacoma Gallery
You happen to have pictures of that dual battery setup?
How do you like the 35? I just put one in my truck the other day. Went with the 35 because I didn't really feel like messing around with the cables to make a 65 fit.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:21 PM   #4
TacoMAUI95 is on a distinguished road

TacoMAUI95's Tacoma Gallery
I really like your truck. You gonna put a RTT on your camper. Would you feel comfortable doing that?
Old 03-04-2015, 05:33 PM   #5
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
Truck looks great, nice build so far!

That trailer is impressive! Well done man, pretty talented
Old 03-04-2015, 05:40 PM   #6
2012Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2012Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2012Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2012Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2012Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2012Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2012Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2012Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2012Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2012Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2012Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready6delta View Post
Nice build man!
Thanks man, these things snowball outta control on here quick!
Old 03-04-2015, 05:47 PM   #7

Dual Battery Setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacotrd311 View Post
You happen to have pictures of that dual battery setup?
How do you like the 35? I just put one in my truck the other day. Went with the 35 because I didn't really feel like messing around with the cables to make a 65 fit.
Indeed I do Tacotrd311! I wasn't originally going to go with the 35's but I found them at a price I couldn't pass up and it fit the direction I was generally heading with having a second dedicated battery to support the ARB fridge, water pump, air compressor, aux. lights, etc. I think a single 35 would still be a step up from the factory and I've been happy with them so far. A buddy of mine has been running his dual 35's for a few years now and likes them a lot.

I've always run dual battery setups in my trucks so this got the same treatment. By running the dedicated house battery with the Blue Sea I'll never get stuck some place because something was left on in camp too long. The bonus of the Blue Sea is when drawing heavy loads like a cold start or winching, the relay can be manually overridden by the in-cab switch to pull from both batteries without the low voltage disconnect kicking on.

Anyway, the tray was fabbed from some 2” x 1/8” angle I had leftover from a previous project and some 2” x 3/16” flatbar bent to get the tray sitting at the right height in the stock location.

^ Mocking the flatbar and tacking to check fitment

^ Stock battery and plastic tray out of the way

^ Checking the fit

The fit is quite tight but I didn't need to modify the stock parts other than moving the stock battery cables around to suite the main battery posts being shifted around.

^ Gave myself some wiggle room for the bolts to mount the tray to factory holes on the inner fender support/tray and burned on some long studs to secure a bar to hold the batteries in the tray.

^ Tossed on some paint

^ Back in the truck and bolted down with some thin rubber isolator material to do things right

^ Used some scrap 2” x ¼” aluminum for the bar

^ Blue Sea Auto/Disconnect/Connect switch mounted in the console

^ Finishing up the cables, the battery on the left is the starting battery and the right battery is for all the accessories. The Blue Sea controller is mounted on the top of the fuse box behind the batteries and I fabbed up a panel to bold to the inner fender to hold my main breaker and the auxiliary fuse panel. I've still got some wiring to do once the ARB comes and I get all the lights mounted up but I've got the power now!
Old 03-04-2015, 05:51 PM   #8
CollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
CollegeKevin's Tacoma Gallery
Beautiful truck. Love the build. Subbed
Old 03-04-2015, 05:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMAUI95 View Post
I really like your truck. You gonna put a RTT on your camper. Would you feel comfortable doing that?
Thanks TacoMAUI95, a RTT on the camper probably isn't in the cards. Between the roof vent being up there and the solar panels, I'd be giving up quite a bit to get a RTT on there.

I have considered one day down the road picking one up to toss on the Tacoma if the right deal came along as it'd get me off the ground and you don't always want to haul the camper some places.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by teneighty View Post
Truck looks great, nice build so far!

That trailer is impressive! Well done man, pretty talented
Thanks teneighty, one day I'd like to figure out how to make money at it instead of spending it all
Old 03-04-2015, 06:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeKevin View Post
Beautiful truck. Love the build. Subbed
Thanks Kevin, there's certainly going to be a lot of updates in the next couple of months to get the thread up to date plus all the goodies I've been squirreling away over the winter
Old 03-05-2015, 05:36 AM   #12
Tacotrd311 is on a distinguished road
Tacotrd311's Tacoma Gallery
That looks awesome, really nice clean setup. Thanks for posting the pictures.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacotrd311 View Post
That looks awesome, really nice clean setup. Thanks for posting the pictures.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:56 PM   #14
The Mountains are Calling and I Must Go
Asta is a splendid one to beholdAsta is a splendid one to beholdAsta is a splendid one to beholdAsta is a splendid one to beholdAsta is a splendid one to beholdAsta is a splendid one to beholdAsta is a splendid one to beholdAsta is a splendid one to behold

Name: Daniel
Asta's Tacoma Gallery
Nice clean looking truck!
Old 03-08-2015, 02:02 PM   #15

Some older Mods!

Heated Mirrors – Used factory Toyota parts to get heated mirrors with a factory appearance. Part Numbers used include:
Heated Mirror Switch – 84871-48030
Plug Connector for Mirror Switch – 90980-10789
Heated Glass, RH - 87931-AE020
Heated Glass, LH - 87961-AE020
CONN-11856 Sumitomo TS / SL Female Terminals for Plug

FJ Cruiser lighted foglight switch:
FJ Cruiser Foglight Switch - 84160-04010
Plug Connector for FJ Cruiser Foglight Switch - 90980-11090

4Runner 4x4 Switch - I really wanted the lighted switch and have no idea why Toyota couldn't do this!
4Runner 4x4 Switch - 84724-35020
Plug Connector for 4Runner 4x4 Switch - 82998-12420
Bulbs (green) - 90010-01062

Bed Door Locks - Did the lock mod on the bed storage doors too using CCL 62207 locks:

Old 03-08-2015, 02:17 PM   #16
crazy joker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazy joker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazy joker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazy joker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazy joker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazy joker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazy joker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazy joker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazy joker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazy joker is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazy joker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jesse
crazy joker's Tacoma Gallery
I'm glad I stumbled on this build. Looking good. I'm looking to go in the same general direction with mine, so I'm looking forward to some ideas from yours. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:51 PM   #17
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
Sick! How much was the lighted 4x4 switch? Plug n play?
Looks good
Old 03-14-2015, 11:29 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy joker View Post
I'm glad I stumbled on this build. Looking good. I'm looking to go in the same general direction with mine, so I'm looking forward to some ideas from yours. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:33 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by teneighty View Post
Sick! How much was the lighted 4x4 switch? Plug n play?
Looks good
I ended up getting a smokin' deal on it at the time of $40. The list was about $75 which wouldn't have been worth it to me.

The install was nearly plug-n-play; the switch fits right in the stock Tacoma hole once you get the darned thing out. The only mod required is connecting into the dash light circuit for the 4Runner switch lights which I did with the pigtail part number listed above. I tied into the wiring going to the climate controls and presto - lighted switch!
Old 03-14-2015, 11:51 AM   #20

Once the topper was on I went ahead and pulled the ARB fridge from the cab where I had it and fabbed some mounts for in the bed.

The mounts use the existing bed bolts to avoid unnecessary holes and guarantee that nothing moves.

I installed the cover while I was at it.

The first iteration of power to the bed used a Blue Sea 6 circuit fuse block mounted in the passenger side storage compartment. The fuse block is fed by the second battery using 2ga wire, leaving room for future items.

And a brew for a job done.

Next up – bed storage including drawer, on board air and on board water; stay tuned!