Delta00's 2002 Tacoma 4WD

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

Johnny's Build 2015 Black TRD Off Road 4X4

Old 03-14-2015, 03:33 PM   #1
Over da Hill has a brilliant futureOver da Hill has a brilliant futureOver da Hill has a brilliant futureOver da Hill has a brilliant futureOver da Hill has a brilliant futureOver da Hill has a brilliant futureOver da Hill has a brilliant futureOver da Hill has a brilliant futureOver da Hill has a brilliant futureOver da Hill has a brilliant futureOver da Hill has a brilliant future

Name: Johnny
Over da Hill's Tacoma Gallery
Johnny's Build 2015 Black TRD Off Road 4X4

Johnny's Build

2015 Black TRD Off Road 4x4 Tacoma

As She Sits Today

Before Lift

Black Rhino Sidewinders 17X9 5 inch backspacing (Pre Lift Tires)

Before Supercharger

TRD Supercharger Installed

Icon Stage 3 Suspension Lift (Front)

Icon Stage 3 Suspension Lift (Rear) / (Post Lift Tires: Toyo Open Country 285 70 R17)

After Lift

Joshua Tree Trip March 2015

Me and the Buddies

Airing up...gotta install an onboard compressor soon.

Wash me!

All clean!
Old 03-14-2015, 03:36 PM   #2
300AACTaco has a brilliant future300AACTaco has a brilliant future300AACTaco has a brilliant future300AACTaco has a brilliant future300AACTaco has a brilliant future300AACTaco has a brilliant future300AACTaco has a brilliant future300AACTaco has a brilliant future300AACTaco has a brilliant future300AACTaco has a brilliant future300AACTaco has a brilliant future

Name: Caleb
300AACTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Jeez man this thing is sick! Nice to see another 2015 Black DCSB, although it makes mine look like a little bitch
Old 03-14-2015, 08:38 PM   #3
Over da Hill has a brilliant futureOver da Hill has a brilliant futureOver da Hill has a brilliant futureOver da Hill has a brilliant futureOver da Hill has a brilliant futureOver da Hill has a brilliant futureOver da Hill has a brilliant futureOver da Hill has a brilliant futureOver da Hill has a brilliant futureOver da Hill has a brilliant futureOver da Hill has a brilliant future

Thanks! Probably the camera angle... I like your build, was checking it out not to long ago. Keep having fun!!!
Old 03-15-2015, 07:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatMyTacomaDust View Post
Awesome Truck Man!
Thank you!
Old 03-15-2015, 11:29 AM   #6
iHacker is on a distinguished road
iHacker's Tacoma Gallery
I love your truck 👍👍👍 How much did you pay for the lift kit plus installation
Old 03-15-2015, 11:54 AM   #7
DJFRENZY is on a distinguished road
DJFRENZY's Tacoma Gallery
Great looking Taco! Love how black shines keeping everything classic and elegant. Supercharger! Sweet!

What are the specs on the BFG tires and size of the Black Rhino wheels? I'm trying to take the same route by getting wheels and tires first then Icon Stage 3, but with different wheels.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHacker View Post
I love your truck 👍👍👍 How much did you pay for the lift kit plus installation
Thanks. I paid $2,875 for Icon parts and labor. Not including the new tires, alignment and balancing. That was about another grand.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:23 PM   #9
iHacker is on a distinguished road
iHacker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over da Hill View Post
Thanks. I paid $2,875 for Icon parts and labor. Not including the new tires, alignment and balancing. That was about another grand.

Thanks for the info, your truck look awesome
Old 03-15-2015, 02:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJFRENZY View Post
Great looking Taco! Love how black shines keeping everything classic and elegant. Supercharger! Sweet!

What are the specs on the BFG tires and size of the Black Rhino wheels? I'm trying to take the same route by getting wheels and tires first then Icon Stage 3, but with different wheels.
Hey DJ,
The BFG's were my pre lift tires, they were "Rugged Trails" 265 70 R17 (~31.5 inches)
The Sidewinder Wheels are 17X9 with 5 inch backspacing
The new tires (Post Lift) are Toyo "Open Country" 285 70 R17 (~33 inches)
Old 03-15-2015, 02:58 PM   #11
DJFRENZY is on a distinguished road
DJFRENZY's Tacoma Gallery
Ahh OK. Looks nice on the pre lift as well! Thanks for the info.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:59 PM   #12
300AACTaco has a brilliant future300AACTaco has a brilliant future300AACTaco has a brilliant future300AACTaco has a brilliant future300AACTaco has a brilliant future300AACTaco has a brilliant future300AACTaco has a brilliant future300AACTaco has a brilliant future300AACTaco has a brilliant future300AACTaco has a brilliant future300AACTaco has a brilliant future

Name: Caleb
300AACTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Those Toyos are great looking tires, I might have to ditch my nittos in the future for those!

Any rubbing with those 285s?
Old 03-15-2015, 09:06 PM   #13
ragincajun35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedragincajun35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedragincajun35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedragincajun35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedragincajun35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedragincajun35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedragincajun35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedragincajun35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedragincajun35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedragincajun35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedragincajun35 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Spencer
ragincajun35's Tacoma Gallery
sweet truck
Old 03-16-2015, 06:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300AACTaco View Post
Those Toyos are great looking tires, I might have to ditch my nittos in the future for those!

Any rubbing with those 285s?
Too soon to tell, just installed and not tested offroad. I'll keep you updated...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragincajun35 View Post
sweet truck
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready6delta View Post
Looks good man nice Lift choice!
Thanks!
Old 03-16-2015, 06:50 PM   #16
Eric NJ is on a distinguished road
Eric NJ's Tacoma Gallery
can I ask how much all of those upgrades cost combined?
Old 03-16-2015, 07:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric NJ View Post
can I ask how much all of those upgrades cost combined?
The cost of big stuff was:
Supercharger $4200 plus tax (I worked the dealership hard on price. It took me two months of bugging them to get the price down from $5,000. $800 install (worked that down from $1,200)

Icon stage 3 suspension $2875 installed,
Wheels and tires were approximately $2,000 still need a spare.

All told, close to $10,000.
Tacoma World's fault!!! Still love ya though...
I'm gonna tap out for a while and save up for more mods.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:03 PM   #18

Update:
Went out for my first off road test run with the new Icon suspension and bigger tires I just installed last week. I am in love with the set up. This truck just plain and simply kicks ass!

I went with two of my buddies through some of the back 4x4 trails of Josuha Tree National Park. Entered the park off Dillon road up Berdugo Canyon and after a little camping exited the park via Old Dale Mine trail. Both are moderate 4x4 trails with some fun obsticals, Dale road was a little harder and had several places to recreate once over the mountain pass. One friend had a Jeep Rubicon (tricked out) and the other had a FJ cruiser (mostly stock). We all agreed that each vehicle performed better at different tasks, but they both mentioned how impressed they were with how well the Tacoma performed at everything. They had me lead because they had difficulty keeping up to speed with their shorter wheelbases. The Tacoma ate up the whoops like a pro, sailed over the sand and looked good while doing it. Over most of the mountain passes there were medium difficult (rated 6 of 10) tight trails with cliffs on one side and large rocks to climb. The new (bigger) tires combined with the Icon setup tackled the rocks and rutted trails like I've never experienced before.

After pushing it hard and really beating the heck out of my truck (gotta test the new shocks) the only issues were a busted clip on my fender moulding and a tiny bit of tire rub when I bottomed out.

The FJ and Jeep are fine 4 wheelers...no let me rephrase that, excellent 4 wheelers, but I would not choose anything different, for a daily driver that can excel both on and off road, than the Tacoma.

Thanks for sharing in my excitement.

I'll post some pictures for the trip.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:44 PM   #19

Joshua Tree Run

Non-RTT:

Little Plastic Clip Broke on the fender moulding: (can't really see it, but the molding is a little loose)

Ever so slight tire rub, after the Icon install: (happened when I bottomed out)
Old 03-23-2015, 07:53 AM   #20
Justn868 will become famous soon enough
Name: Justin
Justn868's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Sweet Build!