Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

Adventure Time Icon 3" Build - No Big Deal

Old 03-22-2015, 08:38 PM   #1
NoBigDeal is on a distinguished road

Marines: 1st Battalion, 5th Marines
NoBigDeal's Tacoma Gallery
Adventure Time Icon 3" Build - No Big Deal

Goal of the build: A vehicle able to easily navigate the roughest of backwoods trails, while being a comfortable drive on and off road, without completely destroying my MPGs, and keep all its upgrades below $10,000.

As she sits today:

2013 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab 4x4 manual.

Suspension:

-Icon Stage 4 Billet suspension kit
-AllPro U-Bolt flip kit (Sitting in garage. Still need to install)

Wheels and Tires:

-Raceline 981 Raptor Black 16"x8" - 4.5" Back spacing
-Toyo Open Country A/T II 285/75R16 (Worked for me with little trimming. Here's how it went for others)

Performance:

-aFe Stage 2 Pro Dry intake

Aesthetics:

-HomerTaco "Ghost Raptor" mesh grill
-Simply HIDs 6000k Slim Ballasts
-Debadged
-Smoked out the taillights thanks to THExBUSxDRIVER

Future Projects:

-Nitro 4.10 Differential Master Install kit.
-Exhaust (haven't decided what type)
-AllPro APEX 3 hoop aluminum front bumper
-14"x3" 700lb Coil Over
-LED interior lighting kit
-Rock Sliders
-AllPro Rear leaf pack maybe Dakar (what do you think?)
-Wrap for the truck. (Way down the road, when the itch to buy a new truck is too great. But I know having no payments is worth it, so I'll just make it look new.)

My build began after I saved up some money after my deployment. Christmas was good:

All stock ready to have the lift, wheels, and tires installed:

Having the lift put on took all day and then it was going to take another three hours to have the wheels and tires installed and aligned. Unfortunately for me I was going out the the field the next day and didn't have the time. This is what the Icon Stage 4 looks like with everything else stock:

Turns out Firestone offers LIFETIME alignment for your vehicle for only $180. Yeah, you can four wheel every weekend and make an appointment every Monday to have your truck aligned no charge. We have a Firestone on base so I drove over there and had the wheels and tires put on.

Close up of the ICON Stage 4 Billet:

So, 285/75R16 will fit on a 2013 if you only drive on the road and don't allow the suspension to articulate while turning. In other words, it will rub every time you hit a bump. As you can see it is clear toward the front of the wheel well, whereas the rear of the fender rubs substantially:

But a quick Dremel job can fix the issue in no time:

Side Note: After a few times off road with this set up I have not had any rubbing from the tire on the cab mount. It appears that although it is a tight fit the travel of the wheel does not move the tire closer or further from the cab mount.

Next up is the new HIDs my wife got me for my birthday. Simply HIDs slim ballast 6000Ks. I decided to waterproof them with the ole hot glue gun. I actually like the two tone look of the headlights vs. fog lights:

Then I spoiled myself with the aFe Stage 2 Pro Dry intake:

Stock:

aFe Stage 2 Pro Dry:

Then, as I am sure everyone who spends way too many hours on this site have, I stumbled upon HomerTaco and his business venture. Ghost Raptor Mesh:

Surgery has commenced:

Ghost Mesh Grill:

My next venture will be to fix this. From an engineering standpoint(heck even just a common sense standpoint) why would you make the lowest point on any 4x4 the exhaust?

Continue to tune in as I find ways to convince my wife that it is a good idea to spend more money on my truck. Also I'm all ears for any suggestions.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:36 AM   #2
Acerwin is on a distinguished road
Name: Andrew
Acerwin's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good excited to see more pics!
Old 03-24-2015, 03:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acerwin View Post
Looks good excited to see more pics!
Thanks. Hopefully soon I can add some action shots.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:12 PM   #4

Rock Sliders or Fix the poor exhaust design?

The next thing on my list is to regear the diffs to 4.10. But I'd like to either fix the ridiculous exhaust system or buy rock sliders at the same time or immediately following. The wife is starting to crack down on my spending so it only looks like I can do one or the other in the next few months.

On one hand I should see a little power increase, maybe some MPG increases(minimal), and some improved ground clearance with new pipes. On the other I wouldn't mind having the sliders as a step into the truck, and they will help keep the rocks from flying up and tearing more paint off.(Obviously they will act as protective armor too)

What do you think?