1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My 2009 TRD Sport Double Cab Long Bed

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by vwguy60, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Jun 16, 2009 at 10:33 PM
    vwguy60

vwguy60 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport DC LB
    Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit, TC ucas, TRD CAI, powder coated OEM tube steps, powder coated TRD skid plate.
    I didn't really take a lot of pictures but here is my 2009 TRD Sport Double Cab Long Bed. I've had it 3 months now and it came along faster than I thought.

Here is my truck when I first bought it:

[​IMG]

I made a bike mount that goes in the rail to hold my road bike, that was technically my first accessory I made myself.

[​IMG]

The first purchased accessories were all weather mats and a rubber bed mat (not shown):

[​IMG]

I liked the look of the OEM tube steps because the gap between the body and steps were minimal, I have dogs and I didn't want their legs to get stuck between the body and step so I got those. The bad part was they only came in silver so I took them apart (a real PITA) and got them powder coated semi gloss black.

I then decided I wanted to lift the truck (I had lifted trucks in the past) but I wanted a practical lift that did not affect my mpg too much. I liked the size of the double cab long bed (I always had a full size truck) but felt it was too low from the factory. I start looking for deals and ordered the Toytec Ultimate lift kit, Moto Metals and Nitto TGs. I drove down to a buddy's house and we installed the lift. Here is all my parts in the truck:

[​IMG]

We installed the front c/o's and here is a pic, looks pretty funny:

[​IMG]

I didn't take a picture after we put the aal in but with the stock tires, it looked pretty wimpy. After that it was off to Firestone to have my TPMS removed and put in my new wheels:

The c/o's I got with the silver Eibach 600# springs, they were out of red and told me if I wanted silver it was available, I thought it might look better since I didn't have any other red parts so I went for it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here it is with all my stuff:

[​IMG]

After more reading on TW in the buy/sell I found an ad for a powder coated TRD skid plate. I procastiated a while but emailed the guy. I thought the front end was missing something. He was pretty cool but told me there was someone else who was interested in it first so he had dibbs. He said he would confirm the sale but let me know the outcome. He emailed me back an hour later and said the first guy could not buy it for a month, I paypaled him that night and he shipped it the following Monday, I had it a few days later!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After driving it around about a month or so, I was getting sick of wandering around on my commute to work. I adjusted the c/o's to right around 3.25" and my poor balljoints looked like it was almost binding. My alignment guy said the caster was close to factory specs (but not exactly there) but the adjusters were maxed out. Johnny from Wheeler's and I worked out a trade for something he needed for some Total Chaos UCAs and we did the trade. Now we're both happy and being the great guy he is became a friend that I never met in person yet. I installed the UCAs and got another alignment per Chris4X4's specs (thanks Chris if you see this) and it drives perfect and my alignment guy was happy the adjustment is no longer maxed out.

Here are pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was in the past 3 months... What is next, I have no idea. The TRD supercharger kit looks interesting. I forgot to add I have the TRD intake, no pictures but I installed it a couple weeks before the lift kit. Sounds pretty cool. I didn't tell the wife everything I did (she only thinks I got wheels and tires) so don't tell her.

2. Jun 16, 2009 at 11:13 PM
    TRICOMA

TRICOMA Tacoma with the TRI package

Member:
    First Name:
    Tri
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC SB 4x4 TRD Off Road
    King Off-Road Shock Coilover 2.5 with Resi in the front. King Off-Road Shocks 2.5 with Resi's for the rears, Rear Spring TSB, KMC XD Enduros 16x8, Black Vinyl Fenders, Bed compartment locks, Cobra 19 DX IV with Lil Wil mag mount antenna, CoverKing Seat covers front and rear, Built Right UCAs, Aluminess Expedition Bumper, GY Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar 265/75-16, Custom hybrid style rock sliders.
    Nice build!!!

3. Jun 16, 2009 at 11:15 PM
    AFButters

AFButters Rigger, Please!!

Member:
    First Name:
    "Butters"
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2008 335xi BMW
    Grrrr.. I hate how sexy your truck is.. im so Jealous

4. Jun 16, 2009 at 11:57 PM
    TacoBlanco

TacoBlanco Active Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    '08 SW DC LB Trd Sport
    Very nice! This height would look sweet on my super white 08 dc lb. How does the ride quality compare to the stock bilsteins.

5. Jun 17, 2009 at 12:22 AM
    jacob_wood

jacob_wood Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Jose, CA (Nor-Cal)
    Vehicle:
    2010 SSM DCLB
    Sweet truck I really dig those wheels!

6. Jun 17, 2009 at 12:27 AM
    Tool

Tool Who Inspires You?

Member:
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD Sport
    TRD SuperCharger 6in ProComp Lift, DTLT Headers, JBA Exhaust, Pioneer Appradio 4, Coverking seat covers, 2 10in Rockford Fosgate subs, Rockford Fosgate Amp, N-fabs, 6000k HID LED Taillights
    looks good =)

7. Jun 17, 2009 at 2:38 AM
    S7ICKlVlAN

S7ICKlVlAN Cpt. Bubbleguts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB
    TRD badged | Hunting Cage | Smoked Tails | LED Everything | Slim Cubby HID bi-xenon's | Spidertrax 1.25" | BHLM | FLM | S2000 Ant | 20% Shade | PL 8521 | OME 885 | Bilstein 5100's | Toytec 2" AAL | FN 18x9" Bronze BFD's | 275/65-18 Duratrac's | Wrinkle Red Valve Covers | 3M Di-Noc Wrapped Interior | Kode MB Push Button Ignition | Relentless Sliders | URD TCAI | Mr.Marv Enclosure | Arc Audio 10" | Hybrid Audio Clarus F/R | Alpine PDX-5 | Alpine INE-S920HD
    Great looking truck. I was eye balling those same wheels.

Keep us posted with more pics please.

Aloha, Kidd

8. Jun 17, 2009 at 6:57 PM
    vwguy60

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport DC LB
    Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit, TC ucas, TRD CAI, powder coated OEM tube steps, powder coated TRD skid plate.
    The ride is better in a firmer type of way. It no longer leans into turns and I hated that! It doesn't feel as boat-ish.

Thanks everyone for the compliments!

9. Jun 18, 2009 at 8:36 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Lookin sweet! :)

10. Jun 18, 2009 at 9:05 PM
    Razorecko

Razorecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 Pyrite DCLB TRD Supercharged
    looks badass, what size tires & wheels ?

11. Jun 18, 2009 at 9:06 PM
    vwguy60

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport DC LB
    Thanks! The tires are 285-70-17s and the wheels are 17"X9".

12. Jul 27, 2009 at 2:42 PM
    MUDFISH

MUDFISH Well-Known Member

Member:
    Syracuse
    Vehicle:
    12 Double Cab SR5
    Great looking truck... the lift/wheel/tire combo looks mean... Makes me jealous...

13. Oct 19, 2009 at 8:37 PM
    Rodeoclowns

Rodeoclowns Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    2010 Magnetic Grey DC LB TRD
    Stock other than 265/70/17 BF Goodrich A/T
    Hey,

Just ordered the same truck but 2010 model and was wondering what size lift you installed? I'm super stoked but don't get the truck till mid November. I'm not a mechanic nor do I have friends who are savvy. The dealer will install a 2.5 or 3" lift for 1500 bucks... your thoughts?

14. Oct 2, 2011 at 10:30 AM
    NFK

NFK Death Technician

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Canada, BC, Vancouver Island, Victoria
    Vehicle:
    BLACK THUNDER
    Tiers 33/11.5 tiers Mickey Thompson,Wheels Mickey T Side Bitters 17” 3” Rev Tech Lift,Added Leaf Spring,Black Projector Headlights CCFL Halo’s / HID’S Blacked out tail light Mod,Grill craft Grill Top and Bottom Hella 500 Behind Gril,FJ40 1986 Toyota Land Cruiser Emblem Front Grill K&N Air Filter,TRD Emblem Lower Grill Bottom Right,Toyota Bug & Stone Deflector Toyota Skid Plate Rhino Lined,WeatherTech Window Visors AVID Step Up Sliders,Bushwhacker Pocket Style Fender Flares Key Hole Plugs Colour Matching,Tacoma Bed MattRear,Tailgate Anti-Theft Mod ( Key Hose Clamp) Leer 100XQ Canopy,Semi De-BadgedPainted Remaining Badges (black) FA-series Short Stubby Antenna Length: 8" TRex Eyelids,Wet Okole TRD Seat Covers Charcoal And Black With Center Console And Rear Pockets With TRD Emblem logo WeatherTech Floor Mats,48 LED Blue Dome Light
    nice clean look i like

15. Oct 2, 2011 at 3:11 PM
    vwguy60

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport DC LB
    Thanks...It has been a while since I posted that. I still have the truck and it now has 36,000 miles on it. The lift has held up well, the only thing is the rear aal has the little plastic pieces that make contact with the stock leaf and have worn out. The rear leafs squeak from the metal to metal rub. I may just get a new leaf pack and if I could find a 1.5", I'll probably just change them out when I have time.

I haven't done much else since it is my daily driver, but I added a huge improvement! The stock stereo was acting up and the lcd display was getting flaky. I was good with the sound (the stock JBL upgrade) so I replaced the head unit to this:

[​IMG]

Totally happy with it and I now have navigation which was not an option. Bought a iPod dedicated to the truck (160gb Classic) and it stays in the truck 100% of the time. Other than that it is the typical very reliable Toyota! I have a lot of people who want to buy it if I ever decide to sell it but it is one truck I will have a long time. Last year I bought a second fun car so it makes it even better. It is signifcantly lower and between having a higher vehicle and a low one (Corvette) they are complete opposites. The Corvette is lowered, wheels/tires, and some engine mods. Way different, rather than doing a blower on the truck I am doing one on the Vette instead...

16. Dec 29, 2011 at 3:32 PM
    vwguy60

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport DC LB
    This seems to be a good way to chronical the things on the truck. The squeak and sag from the leaf springs were driving me insane so I ordered a set of OME rear leafs. Since it is my daily driver I figured I would splurge a little but not as much as the Deavers. Upon removal of the stock leafs and Toytec AAL I found this:

[​IMG]

This is why it was sagging, the AAL broke! Here is a comparison pic I took of the OME leafs against my stockers:

[​IMG]

The ride height is back up to just past level and it rides a lot better. The original build was with around 2000 miles on the truck and it is now at 39,000. I still love the truck and with the addition of the stereo I like it even more.

Here is a recent pic of the truck 37,000 miles after the original build:

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top