Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

Rugged Trail Correction Build

Old 07-19-2009, 09:26 AM   #1
James08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

James08's Tacoma Gallery
Rugged Trail Correction Build

I bought an 08 Black Sand Pearl TRD Off Road Rugged Trail Edition May 18th of 09, and even though I really like the truck there is a couple things that I think Toyota missed on.

So, here is what I'm working on:

BSP grill surround- Completed 8/7/09
Black Emblems- Completed 7/25/09
Black rear bumper- Completed 7/25/09
BSP TRD Skid Plate- Completed 7/22/09
BSP Eyelids- Completed 8/7/09
BSP BHLM- Completed 7/22/09
Tinted windows- Completed 5/19/09
PA15-TOY iPOD adapter- Completed 5/27/09
Upper and Lower Grillcrafts- Completed 8/7/09
HIDs- Completed 7/18/09
Nightshades Tails- Competed 7/18/09

Stock:

I thought it would be helpful if I also posted a parts list with a price talley:

Rear Bumper (ebay)- $152.50
T-Rex Eyelids (ebay)- $49.80
Tinted windows (local)- $86
PA15-TOY iPOD adapter- $137.70
Upper and Lower Grillcrafts (Truck Alterations)- $226
HIDs (DDM Tuning)- $168.34
Nightshades Tails (Modern Performance)- $34.28
3 Black Sand Pearl Rattle Cans (ebay)- $57.80
2 Rattle Primer (Walmart)
Rubbing Alcohol (Walmart)
Trim Adhesive (Walmart)
Fishing Line (Walmart)
Paint Thinner (Walmart)
Various Grit Wet/Dry Sandpaper (Walmart)- total $35.56
2 Rattle Clear Coat (Advance Auto)
1 Rattle Adhesion Promoter (Advance Auto)
Goo Gone (Advance Auto)**get from Walmart instead**
Clear Epoxy (Advance Auto)- total $29.54
Detailer Spray (O'Reilly)
Rubbing Compound (O'Reilly)
Compound Applicator (O'Reilly)
Micro Cloths (O'Reilly)- total $23.12
Sold the Chome bumper (ebay)- 175.00

Total as of 7/20/09 $825.64.....
Old 07-19-2009, 09:30 AM   #2
James08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

James08's Tacoma Gallery
HIDs

Stock

HIDs

Old 07-19-2009, 09:33 AM   #3

James08's Tacoma Gallery
Nightshades

Stock

Nightshades

Old 07-19-2009, 09:35 AM   #4

James08's Tacoma Gallery
I have everything else purchased, and I'm waiting on everything else to be shipped. As I get other stuff in I'll post up the progess.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:52 AM   #6
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
You still have the dealer sticker on your truck??

Other than that, nice truck
Old 07-19-2009, 10:36 AM   #7
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Very cool.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:00 AM   #8

James08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
You still have the dealer sticker on your truck??

Other than that, nice truck

Yeah, that is coming off when I black out the emblems....

Thanks for the comments guys. I'll keep updating as I get more of the parts in.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:38 PM   #10

James08's Tacoma Gallery
I got the BHLM started tonight. I got everything off the truck, apart, and the sanding, priming and a couple coats of black on the inside of the headlights. It was pretty easy to get everything apart following the directions on this site, and I would have gotten it completely painted if I hadn't ran out of daylight.

I also pulled the skid plate off tonight. I should be able to get everything painted by the end of the week so that I'm putting everything back together Saturday morning. If I had my grillcrafts in I would paint my grill surround and get those in Saturday morning, but I haven't heard anything yet. I'll post some pics tomorrow when I'm done painting.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:38 AM   #13

James08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason'sLawnCare View Post
Looks great. Did you change your tires?
The Dunlops were on the truck when I bought it from the dealership. If those aren't the stock rubber the dealership must have changed them.

So I'm taking the morning off to finish the BHLM, and so on my way out of the condo to start painting again I f'ng drop the housings..... I broke a small piece off one of them, and put a pretty good crack in the other one. I don't think the small piece is important, and I should be able to paint the crack to the point where it is barely noticable. I guess that is what I get for trying to do stuff first thing in the morning.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:42 AM   #14
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
I also pulled the skid plate off tonight. I should be able to get everything painted by the end of the week so that I'm putting everything back together Saturday morning. If I had my grillcrafts in I would paint my grill surround and get those in Saturday morning, but I haven't heard anything yet. I'll post some pics tomorrow when I'm done painting.[/QUOTE]

Looking forword to pics of the grill surround with the upper and lower grills installed. Your truck is very nice, and you're right, what you are doing should have come fron the factory!

Let us know how much work you put into the grill. Several people on here are thinking of painting but are worried how the paint will hold up over the chrome.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:54 AM   #16

James08's Tacoma Gallery
Here is some update pics. I'm probably going to end up taking the entire day off so I can just get this project done. I'm pretty dissappointed with the drop. The pics show the details. Hopefully it won't stand out when I get them in the headlights. I guess I should have bought the extra headlights and grill.....

Old 07-22-2009, 11:02 AM   #17

James08's Tacoma Gallery
Progress....

I'm going to put these in after I go to lunch with our Director of Marketing. I think the skid plate will be dry by the time I get the front end back together, and then I'll be finished for the day. I think I'll do the emblems this weekend while my girlfriend is spending the day with the girls. I'm not going to do the grill surround until I get my grillcrafts in from Truck Alterations.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:53 PM   #19

James08's Tacoma Gallery
I'm done for the day!!! I'm headed to the gym now. I guess the charges for the grillcrafts started happenning, and my black rear bumper was picked up yesterday. I'm still going to do the emblems this weekend, and I should be working on the grillcrafts and the bumper some time next week! I still haven't heard anything about my T-Rex eyelids.....