Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

afd23a's build

Old 10-15-2010, 08:39 AM   #21
Who needs 4WD?
neslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Harrelsen
neslerrah's Tacoma Gallery
Did you buy the diff from ECGS?

BTW, the hubcentric ring does work. I've been running them on my truck for awhile. I've been told to not use it offroad, but I have no issues with them breaking Are your rings plastic or aluminum?
Old 10-15-2010, 09:59 AM   #22
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
I got my diff from another TW member. He had told me the flange needed to be changed and I completely forgot about it. It was built for a Sequoia which has 60mm spacing on the flange and the taco has 66mm.

My truck rides a whole lot better with the hub centric rings, but not always perfect. It seems to also be affected by how I mount the wheels back on the truck. I have to make sure the wheels are positioned correctly on the lugs with the lug nuts. I've got extended thread lug nuts which are supposed to help too. I wanted aluminum rings but the size rings I needed only came in plastic. I was on some hunting trails with the truck a few weeks ago and didn't have any issues with the rings. Not really heavy use though.

How's that spring rearch coming?
Old 10-15-2010, 12:06 PM   #23
Who needs 4WD?
neslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by afd23a View Post
I got my diff from another TW member. He had told me the flange needed to be changed and I completely forgot about it. It was built for a Sequoia which has 60mm spacing on the flange and the taco has 66mm.

My truck rides a whole lot better with the hub centric rings, but not always perfect. It seems to also be affected by how I mount the wheels back on the truck. I have to make sure the wheels are positioned correctly on the lugs with the lug nuts. I've got extended thread lug nuts which are supposed to help too. I wanted aluminum rings but the size rings I needed only came in plastic. I was on some hunting trails with the truck a few weeks ago and didn't have any issues with the rings. Not really heavy use though.

How's that spring rearch coming?

I took the Deavers off for now and put the AAL and stock leaf springs on the truck. When I have some more $$$ I will have the Deavers re-arched. I have not taken any pics of the truck yet, but here is one picture (taken Oct. 14) from Roy's camera. The rear sits higher by half inch or so.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:28 PM   #24
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good man, sorry those Deavers aren't working out for you right now. How are those 33" tires doing?
Old 07-04-2011, 07:35 PM   #25

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
I finally got around to getting the 4.10 LSD third member put in a couple weeks ago. Changed the rear diff fluid yesterday since it's been 500 miles since the install. The old fluid was VERY dark. Lots of metal shavings from the break in period.

The lower gear ratio takes the truck back to "stock" power band which is really nice. I've only run a couple tanks of gas since the install and so far my mpg's are a little lower than before, but I've been doing mainly city driving. It's nice to have some power in 5th gear again on the freeway. I haven't tested out the LSD yet. Been waiting to get past the break in period before trying to test it with some burn outs.

Changed the speedo gear in the manual tranny to one meant for a 4cyl prerunner/4wd and now my speedo and odo read correct.

I've also been working on wiring up the aux lights mounted on my topper. Bought a Blue Sea fuse box and fabbed up a mounting plate for it and some relays. Ran a loom of 10 AWG from the engine bay to the bed today. Need to finish terminating the ends and then hook up some switches in the cab.

I'll try and get some pics up in the next few days.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:39 PM   #26

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
I should also mention that the aftermarket flange that I got from ECGS didn't work (see page 1). It was for the elocker diff. We tried a second model but it would not work either (there was some confusion involved). ECGS came through with a used flange that had been taken off of an 8.4" diff.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:19 PM   #27
Who needs 4WD?

Quote:
I should also mention that the aftermarket flange that I got from ECGS didn't work (see page 1). It was for the elocker diff. We tried a second model but it would not work either (there was some confusion involved). ECGS came through with a used flange that had been taken off of an 8.4" diff.

Woot! I still need to talk to ECGS about getting a different flange for the 3rd member I bought a few months back. I am still running stock gears *3.31
Old 07-10-2011, 08:29 PM   #28

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by neslerrah View Post
Woot! I still need to talk to ECGS about getting a different flange for the 3rd member I bought a few months back. I am still running stock gears *3.31
It makes a world of difference. Just make sure you break them in easy.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:55 PM   #29

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
So here are some pics of the topper lights and aux fuse box.

Lights lit up at night. The light housings themselves are pretty cheap fogs from walmart or chain auto stores. They were already installed on the topper when I bought it. I took out the stock bulbs and put in KC 55w Ice Blue H3 Halogens.

Wiring inside the topper. I ran 10 gauge wire from the relays under the hood to the DS bed cubby. I used a six pin trailer wiring jack and plug to make the wiring removable with the topper. I continued the 10 gauge to a barrier strip where I tied into the lights.

I used some Carling rocker switches in some of the empty switch locations.

And finally, the aux fuse block. I used the Blue Sea 12 circuit block with the negative lugs. Also got a 100 amp circuit breaker to help protect against any major over current situations. I fabbed up a piece of sheet metal to mount the fuse block, relays and circuit breaker. Then used L brackets to mount the piece of sheet metal to the holes on the DS fender.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:25 PM   #30

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Last month I picked up a set of TC UCA's for a really good price off ebay.

Now I've got to save up for some coilovers.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:34 PM   #31
Gear Head
5LUGTACO is on a distinguished road

Name: David
5LUGTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Last month I picked up a set of TC UCA's for a really good price off ebay.

Now I've got to save up for some coilovers.
How much did you find them for ? New?
Old 03-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #33

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry guys I haven't checked my build thread in a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LUGTACO View Post
How much did you find them for ? New?
I think I got them for around 400.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neslerrah View Post
It's been awhile, did you get a chance to install the TC UCAs on your truck?
I haven't gotten them on yet. I picked up a pair of Icon coilovers too. I've just got to get around to swapping it all out. Not really looking forward to it right now. I just moved, trying to plan a wedding, and find a new job. Not too much time to think about doing truck mods, although that's what I'd rather be thinking about sometimes.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:14 PM   #34
jahitch1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jason
jahitch1's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought a base line 4-cyl 2wd automatic 2006 tacoma with 86500 miles on it. Just starting my 'build' any advice?