1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

afd23a's build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by afd23a, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Oct 15, 2010 at 8:39 AM
    neslerrah

neslerrah Taco lovin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Harrelsen
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    5 lug BEAST!
    Secondary air filter removed, elbow mod, BFG T/A KO (31x10.5R15), 15" American Racing Mojaves, BHLM, Dome Light MOD (Blue), Pioneer headunit, Sockmonkey 'TACOMA' Decals, Readylift 5-lug SST, Rear Shocks - Bilstein TRD, Dynomax Super Turbo #17748, DDM Slim Ballast HID Kit H4 Hi/Lo -35W 6000K in headlights, Apexcone Raptor HID Kit H3 - 35W 6000K in Hella 500s, aFe CAI #51-10762, WeatherTech Floorliner, 200W Smart AC Inverter
    Did you buy the diff from ECGS?

BTW, the hubcentric ring does work. I've been running them on my truck for awhile. I've been told to not use it offroad, but I have no issues with them breaking :mudding: Are your rings plastic or aluminum?

2. Oct 15, 2010 at 9:59 AM
    afd23a

afd23a [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    I got my diff from another TW member. He had told me the flange needed to be changed and I completely forgot about it. It was built for a Sequoia which has 60mm spacing on the flange and the taco has 66mm.

My truck rides a whole lot better with the hub centric rings, but not always perfect. It seems to also be affected by how I mount the wheels back on the truck. I have to make sure the wheels are positioned correctly on the lugs with the lug nuts. I've got extended thread lug nuts which are supposed to help too. I wanted aluminum rings but the size rings I needed only came in plastic. I was on some hunting trails with the truck a few weeks ago and didn't have any issues with the rings. Not really heavy use though.

How's that spring rearch coming?

3. Oct 15, 2010 at 12:06 PM
    neslerrah

neslerrah Taco lovin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Harrelsen
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    5 lug BEAST!
    Secondary air filter removed, elbow mod, BFG T/A KO (31x10.5R15), 15" American Racing Mojaves, BHLM, Dome Light MOD (Blue), Pioneer headunit, Sockmonkey 'TACOMA' Decals, Readylift 5-lug SST, Rear Shocks - Bilstein TRD, Dynomax Super Turbo #17748, DDM Slim Ballast HID Kit H4 Hi/Lo -35W 6000K in headlights, Apexcone Raptor HID Kit H3 - 35W 6000K in Hella 500s, aFe CAI #51-10762, WeatherTech Floorliner, 200W Smart AC Inverter

I took the Deavers off for now and put the AAL and stock leaf springs on the truck. When I have some more $$$ I will have the Deavers re-arched. I have not taken any pics of the truck yet, but here is one picture (taken Oct. 14) from Roy's camera. The rear sits higher by half inch or so.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Oct 15, 2010 at 2:28 PM
    afd23a

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    Looks good man, sorry those Deavers aren't working out for you right now. How are those 33" tires doing?

5. Jul 4, 2011 at 7:35 PM
    afd23a

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    I finally got around to getting the 4.10 LSD third member put in a couple weeks ago. Changed the rear diff fluid yesterday since it's been 500 miles since the install. The old fluid was VERY dark. Lots of metal shavings from the break in period.

The lower gear ratio takes the truck back to "stock" power band which is really nice. I've only run a couple tanks of gas since the install and so far my mpg's are a little lower than before, but I've been doing mainly city driving. It's nice to have some power in 5th gear again on the freeway. I haven't tested out the LSD yet. Been waiting to get past the break in period before trying to test it with some burn outs.

Changed the speedo gear in the manual tranny to one meant for a 4cyl prerunner/4wd and now my speedo and odo read correct.

I've also been working on wiring up the aux lights mounted on my topper. Bought a Blue Sea fuse box and fabbed up a mounting plate for it and some relays. Ran a loom of 10 AWG from the engine bay to the bed today. Need to finish terminating the ends and then hook up some switches in the cab.

I'll try and get some pics up in the next few days.

6. Jul 4, 2011 at 7:39 PM
    afd23a

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    I should also mention that the aftermarket flange that I got from ECGS didn't work (see page 1). It was for the elocker diff. We tried a second model but it would not work either (there was some confusion involved). ECGS came through with a used flange that had been taken off of an 8.4" diff.

7. Jul 5, 2011 at 9:19 PM
    neslerrah

neslerrah Taco lovin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Harrelsen
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    5 lug BEAST!

Woot! I still need to talk to ECGS about getting a different flange for the 3rd member I bought a few months back. I am still running stock gears *3.31:confused:

8. Jul 10, 2011 at 8:29 PM
    afd23a

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    It makes a world of difference. Just make sure you break them in easy. ;)

9. Jul 10, 2011 at 8:55 PM
    afd23a

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    So here are some pics of the topper lights and aux fuse box.

Lights lit up at night. The light housings themselves are pretty cheap fogs from walmart or chain auto stores. They were already installed on the topper when I bought it. I took out the stock bulbs and put in KC 55w Ice Blue H3 Halogens.
    [​IMG]

Wiring inside the topper. I ran 10 gauge wire from the relays under the hood to the DS bed cubby. I used a six pin trailer wiring jack and plug to make the wiring removable with the topper. I continued the 10 gauge to a barrier strip where I tied into the lights.
    [​IMG]

I used some Carling rocker switches in some of the empty switch locations.
    [​IMG]

And finally, the aux fuse block. I used the Blue Sea 12 circuit block with the negative lugs. Also got a 100 amp circuit breaker to help protect against any major over current situations. I fabbed up a piece of sheet metal to mount the fuse block, relays and circuit breaker. Then used L brackets to mount the piece of sheet metal to the holes on the DS fender.

[​IMG]

10. Sep 29, 2011 at 8:25 PM
    afd23a

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Last month I picked up a set of TC UCA's for a really good price off ebay.:D

[​IMG]

Now I've got to save up for some coilovers.:eek:

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  11. Oct 22, 2011 at 4:34 PM
    5LUGTACO

5LUGTACO Gear Head

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    California
    Vehicle:
    06 TACOMA 5 LUG
    Total Chaos Mid Travel, Sway away coilovers,31x10.50x15 goodyear wrangler authority's
    How much did you find them for ? New?

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  12. Feb 23, 2013 at 11:39 PM
    neslerrah

neslerrah Taco lovin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Harrelsen
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    5 lug BEAST!
    It's been awhile, did you get a chance to install the TC UCAs on your truck?

13. Mar 26, 2013 at 7:00 PM
    afd23a

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Sorry guys I haven't checked my build thread in a long time. :(

I think I got them for around 400.

I haven't gotten them on yet. I picked up a pair of Icon coilovers too. I've just got to get around to swapping it all out. Not really looking forward to it right now. I just moved, trying to plan a wedding, and find a new job. Not too much time to think about doing truck mods, although that's what I'd rather be thinking about sometimes.:eek:

14. Nov 10, 2013 at 10:14 PM
    jahitch1

jahitch1 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    I just bought a base line 4-cyl 2wd automatic 2006 tacoma with 86500 miles on it. Just starting my 'build' any advice?

Products Discussed in

To Top