Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

ilovetacos build!

Old 08-16-2009, 06:32 PM   #1
ilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gavin
ilovetacos's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to ilovetacos
ilovetacos build!

SOLD on 11/27/12 for $23,500

October 2012: So the time has come that I need to sell my Tacoma...After the birth of my 3rd child paired with a new job and a commute of over 70 miles a day I'm going to sell her. I don't have the time to enjoy her like I use to and really need a solid commuter car that can be passed down to my 12 yr old daughter in a few years.

Not sure what the asking price will be at this point but will be selling as is. Currently sitting at 80,XXX miles. KBB says $19,584 to $22,634 stock with my options. What do you think? Fair asking price?

December 2011 (I no longer have the light bar but wiring is still there and I still have lights.)

------------------------ Build Starts Below --------------------------
I purchased my 2006 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 on July 28, 2006 from Hanlees Toyota in Davis, CA. I had no intentions that day to buy the Tacoma but once I test drove it and they gave me a price I couldn't refuse ($1k under invoice!!!), I ended up taking it home that night.

Some upgrades began at the dealership when I made the purchase. I added the TRD Skid Plate (P.O.S.), Toyota All-Weather Mats (they only lasted a year) and OEM Toyota Bed Mat.

This is the only pic I have of it completely stock.

Added a Gaylord's x2000 fiberglass tonneau cover. I highly recommend this fiberglass tonneau cover. It had all the bells & whistles (electric unlock/dome light) but I found I needed the bed height more often then I thought so I sold it about a year later.

Next came the Toytec 3" lift...Old Man Emu 885 coils, 1/4" Top Plate Spacer, Alcan Add-a-Leaf, Front Diff Drop and Rear Axle Shims. I kept the stock Bilsteins and wheels/tires until I could afford some new shoes and shocks.
This pic was taken the night I drove it home from the shop after it was lifted.

Then I debadged, removed the front mud flaps, added a black billet shorty antenna, painted the front Toyota emblem black and got new wheels and tires! I went with MotoMetal 951 Black 16x9 wheels and BF Goodrich 265/75-16 Mud Terrains.
(Pic taken at Pismo Beach/Oceano Dunes. Skid plate took a beating on this trip. August 2007)

(Pic taken at Sequioa Lake/Three Rivers, CA)

Sold the tonneau cover, picked up a Randy Ellis Light bar and 4-Hella 6" driving lights.
I really never liked the RE light bar but since I picked it up used locally for a good price I decided to give it a shot.
I never liked the fact that it stuck out so much from under the front bumper.

Sold the light bar and installed a Grillcraft Grille. (Pic taken at Big Meadows in the Sequoia National Forest)

Mounted 2-Hella 6" driving lights behind the grille (>>> HOW TO <<<) and got rid of the TRD Skid Plate. It was bent up pretty bad.

I then raced a fighter jet and lost.

Got the tailights tinted by a local body shop and trimmed the rear mud flaps about 3" up. Added the TRD emblem for an addtional 20 hp. At this time I also had a Flowmaster 50 series muffler installed.

Got new wheels!!! American Racing Mojave Teflon 16x8 (part no.3981-6883). Kept the 265/75-16 BFG Mud Terrain tires.
I also added Bilstein 5100 shocks front and rear (Thanks Sonny at DSM)...and removed the TRD Bed Decal.

Tested out my Add-a-Leafs by hauling a huge load of Ag Source magazines! I was helping the owner with deliveries at the time. The Tacoma handled it very well but you should have seen the looks I got!

Time for a new tailgate. Had it replaced under TSB/Warranty.

6/2009: Installed a complete stereo system. ( >>> MY INSTALL THREAD <<<)
Alpine 9887 Head Unit, Alpine PDX-5 channel amp, Image Dynamics 6.5" components (front), 6.5" coaxials (rear) and a 10" subwoofer.
Tacotunes speaker baffles and subwoofer box. I made the amp/crossover mounting board attached to the sub box.

This is how it sat August 2009 with yellow fog lights. I also went back to the OEM grille and black emblem. I will eventually install my N-Fab light bar (Thanks Darknight!) with 4 driving lights.

September 13, 2009: Painted my center bottom bumper black. (>>> HOW TO <<<)

September 21, 2009: Painted the pinch welds black.

Ruff Stuff Specialties Battery Box for Optima D34/78 battery.

March 2010: Coated the N-Fab light bar with Line-X and I finally installed it. At first I had these 8" IPF Lights but I didn't like the chrome.

Had the chrome rings powder coated on the 8" IPF Lights...much better!

August 27, 2010

October 2010: Got new wheels...Pro-Comp 7089's and added TRD Center Cap Decals (Purchased thru Sockmonkey)

April 2011: Installed 2010 OEM Tacoma Headlights

May 2011: Installed an AFE CAI intake

May 2011: OEM TRD Oil Cap

June 2011: Installed a Gibson Cat Back Exhaust. Painted it black with Rustoleum High Heat Temp paint.

Cut off the tip right after the last hanger.

Current Modifications:
* Bilstein 5100 Shocks set at 0 (Front & Rear)
* Old Man Emu 885 Coils and 1/4" Top Plate Spacer
* Alcan 2" Add-a-Leaf
* 16x8 Pro-Comp 7089 Black (part no. PXA7089-6883)
* 285/75-16 Pro Comp Xtreme All Terrains
* N-Fab Light Bar (Line-X'd)
* (4) IPF 900DDCS 8" Driving Lights
* AFE CAI intake
* Optima D34/78 Yellow Top Battery
* Blue Sea Fuse Block
* Tinted Tail Lights
* 5000K HID Headlights and Sylvania Silverstar Foglights (or Nokya Yellow Foglights)
* Weathertech Floor Liners (Front & Rear)
* Gibson Cat Back Exhaust (cut off tip)
* Redline Hood Struts
* Alpine 9887 Head Unit w/iPod Connection
* Sirius Starmate Radio
* Image Dynamics CTX65cs 6.5" Components, CTX65 6.5" Co-Axials, iDv3 10" sub
* Alpine PDX5 Amp
* Fat Mat Sound Deadener
* LED Interior and License Plate Lights

My DIY and How to:

* Bed Lights with Tailgate Pin Switch

* Extra D-Rings in Bed

* Lights Mounted Behind Grillcraft Grille

* Add a Cam-Lock to Center Console

* Stereo System Install Thread

* Paint Center Bumper Black

* Relocate the Trailer Harness

* Blue Sea Fuse Block Install

* Homemade Mini Mag Lite Mount
Old 08-16-2009, 06:33 PM   #2
ilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DIY Mods and other accesories

A few DIY mods and accessories...

June 2011: Extended the rear differential breather

11/12/10: Mounted a Mini Mag Lite >>> How to <<<

11/12/10:Painted the calipers black

9/19/10: Relocated the trailer hitch harness >>> Write up here <<<

Before:

After:

9/19/10: Made a whip mount for the bed rails and used a quick-connect whip holder.

Added utility bolt snaps to the bed. >>>DIY Here<<<

Added 7/18/10: Blue Sea Fuse Block >>> How To <<<

Added 7/8/10: Underhood LED Lights >>> How To <<<

Fog lights on anytime mod:

Mounted a Mag Lite:

Added tamper proof bolts and 2 bolts to the bottom on the license plate.

Added a cam-lock to the center console: >>> HOW TO <<<

Bed lights: >>> HOW TO <<<

Extra pair of D-Rings to the front of the bed: >>> HOW TO <<<

5000k HID Headlights:

Weathertech Mats front and rear. I also swapped out the shifter knob with a knob from a '09 Nissan Armada. It is a little bigger and no chrome ring at the bottom.

Rear center seat belt "button" mod: >>> HOW TO <<<

Extra switches and hidden garage door opener

Hardwired my TOMTOM in...

Mounted a shovel with Quick Fists from Cabela's.

March 2010: Installed a TRD Offroad Tow Hook

May 1, 2010: Pop and Lock

April 2011: Installed 2010 OEM Headlights

June 2011: New 3" antenna. Made out of billet aluminum and carbon fiber.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:37 PM   #3
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Nice!!
Old 08-16-2009, 06:37 PM   #4
Uhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shedUhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shedUhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shedUhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shedUhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shedUhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shedUhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shedUhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shedUhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shedUhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shedUhaul-n-azz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Uhaul-n-azz's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good!!!
Old 08-16-2009, 06:38 PM   #5
-Doomsday Squad-"game over man"
RaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud of

RaginCajun's Tacoma Gallery
I am at a lost for words--

Awesome build man! Looks amazing!
Old 08-16-2009, 06:38 PM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
nice!
Old 08-16-2009, 06:55 PM   #7
df4iguy is on a distinguished road
Name: Dan
df4iguy's Tacoma Gallery
I love the bed lights idea. were did you tap into for power?
Old 08-16-2009, 07:10 PM   #9
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Thumbs up Sweet...

lookin good...
Old 08-16-2009, 07:38 PM   #12
saving up
TR3NT has a brilliant futureTR3NT has a brilliant futureTR3NT has a brilliant futureTR3NT has a brilliant futureTR3NT has a brilliant futureTR3NT has a brilliant futureTR3NT has a brilliant futureTR3NT has a brilliant futureTR3NT has a brilliant futureTR3NT has a brilliant futureTR3NT has a brilliant future

TR3NT's Tacoma Gallery
very cool.. looks like the cash and effort paid off
Old 08-16-2009, 08:08 PM   #14

Thanks everyone for the kind comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by df4iguy View Post
I love the bed lights idea. were did you tap into for power?
Under the dash I tapped into the fuse block and added a "add-a-fuse" and a switch in the one of the empty slots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonTacoma View Post
looks good! any signal loss with the ome antena trimmed?
I think so...I really don't listen to FM radio but I did notice that some channels I used to get do not come in as clear but a my radio DJ friend told me that when some stations switched to HD signal their FM signal lost a little strength. Not sure how accurate that is though.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:11 PM   #15
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetacos View Post
I think so...I really don't listen to FM radio but I did notice that some channels I used to get do not come in as clear but a my radio DJ friend told me that when some stations switched to HD signal their FM signal lost a little strength. Not sure how accurate that is though.
I noticed this with my stock antenna. When the switch happened, a couple of signals/stations seem to be a little weak. Do you have a write up on your bed lights???
Old 08-16-2009, 08:13 PM   #16
ClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedClemsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Army Guard 31B
Name: Cam
ClemsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetacos View Post
Thanks everyone for the kind comments!

Under the dash I tapped into the fuse block and added a "add-a-fuse" and a switch in the one of the empty slots.

as long as it looks good
Old 08-16-2009, 08:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I noticed this with my stock antenna. When the switch happened, a couple of signals/stations seem to be a little weak. Do you have a write up on your bed lights???
Yeah but it's over on Toyotanation.com

Here's a link: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...&highlight=bed
Old 08-16-2009, 08:23 PM   #19

Thanks!
Old 08-17-2009, 07:05 AM   #20
"Let's Ride!"
Padilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant future

Name: Daniel
Padilla1880's Tacoma Gallery
Nice build!