Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

AriZonaD54's SPBlack Build...

Old 09-07-2009, 07:29 PM   #1
BANNED in 49 states...
AriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
AriZonaD54's Tacoma Gallery
Talking AriZonaD54's SPBlack Build...

Attention to those who have questions for me... I will no longer be responding to PMs. I can't keep up with it. If you have a question about my build or just want my $0.02 on something, please post it here in this thread and I will respond accordingly. I just don't have the time to continuously answer the same PM questions over and over again. Thank you.

Here is my build, started in August 2009.

Specs:
2008 Tacoma
4.0 V-6 Automatic
4x4 Base
Short Bed/ Double Cab
TRD Seat Swap
TRD Hood Swap

Electronics:
Eclipse AVN-52D Navigation Headunit w/ iPod, Bluetooth and Back-up Camera
Custom TRD Black Splash Screen during Navigation Start-up
9" Shorty Antenna (Black)
Cobra 75-WXST CB Radio
3' Firestik Fire-Fly Antenna (Black)
18' Firestik Fire-Ring Coax

Lighting:
3M Crystalline Front Windshield Tint (50%)
15% Suntech Window Tint
5% Suntech Rear Window Tint
Black Headlight Mod (BHLM) retrofitted with 5000k HIDs
2 Hella 500's retrofitted with 5000k HIDs - Mounted behind Satoshi Grill
2 OEM Foglamps retrofitted with 5000k HIDs
LED License Plate wedge bulbs in Cool White
Foglight Mod (Thanks to Chris4x4)

Armor:
All Pro IFS Skid Plate
Avid Off-Road Bar powdercoated Tuscan Black
Avid Off-Road Sliders powdercoated Tuscan Black
Thule Roof Rack & Fairing
Avid Off-Road Roof Rack Basket

Engine:
TRD Intake
Dynomax Superturbo Muffler
TRD Catback Exhaust 2.5" Piping
Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers w/ o2 Simulators
Vibrant Performance Resonator - 14" Oval, 2.5" In/ Out
URD MAF Calibrator
FelPro Gaskets
TRD Exhaust Tip Thermal Coated in Black

Front:
Total Chaos Uniball UCA's
Camburg 3" Coilovers - 2.5 Series
Sway-bar Removed
All Pro Extended Brake Lines
BSP Satoshi Grill

Rear:
Icon Shocks - 2.0 series with Reservoir
All Pro 1.5" Leaf Springs Pack
All Pro U-bolt Flip Kit
Timbren Bump Stops
All Pro Extended Brake Lines
5lb Fire Extinguisher from Wal-Mart
N-Fab Spare Tire/Wheel Carrier powdercoated Tuscan Black
BSP Matched License Plate Frame
48" Base-model Hi-Lift
FourTrex Hi-Lift Mounts rattle-canned matte black
KR Fabrication 2-Jerry Can Cage
Blitz Jerry Can (x2)
Relentless Fabrication Hitch Shackle

Wheels/Tires:
American Racing ATX Artillery Wheels - 17x9
(5) 295/70R17 Nitto Trail Grappler M/Ts

How its sits now.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 7, 2009

Welp, I've owned my SPB 08 Tacoma for nearly 1 month now, and it's time for a build thread! There's been many "wasted dollars" (as the girlfriend sees it) on suspension mods and interior odds-n-ends over these last few weeks.

Oh yeah, many props to OakleyTRD. Cliff has been helping me and yielding many of my crazy questions and always offered his suggestions. Dude's been a huge help. So thanks!

A couple "Day #1" photos;

Black Billet Grill... I still need to relocate the horns and possibly spray the radiator black. I really like the Satoshi style grill, but wanted to try something different.

Shot of the T-style Auto shifter (available at the stealership for about $60 ). The double-din navi head unit is an Eclipse AVN52d (similar to AVN5200 I believe). I purchased an AVN62D, but the installer jacked it up during install and put this one in for the time being. A new one is on order. Comes wtih the back-up camera, blue-tooth handsfree dealie and iPod connection. Best of all, its made by Eclipse... which is basically Fujitsu which Toyota owns... so the install is clean and connection is plug-n-play!

And I set the start-up/ splash screen of the navigation unit to this....
(If you have an Eclipse unit; here's how to change the splash screen- http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...image-eclipse/)

Installed 4G fire extinguisher on 12/20/2009. Purchased from WalMart.

Arizona trailday at Bulldog Canyon on 12/19/2009.

January 18, 2010:

January 24, 2010:

New Tires - Nitto Trail Grapplers 295/70/17

As you can see in this pic at the bottom left of the tire, I picked up a braided bike lock from Home Depot. It is a black carbon fiber look which just plain looks badass. This is a 4' lock. Works perfect, it fits nice and snuck around the wheel/ tire/ N-fab carrier.

Grabbed some nighttime photos of the HID fogs and headlights;

Here's complete darkness, you cant even make out the truck!

Help from a big flood-light....

Foglights on only...

HID 5000k's in Headlights and Fogs. Both on...

SuperWhite LED license plate bulbs...

Shown in the back of the truck;

1. Full size spare wheel/tire carrier: NFab powder-coated Tuscan Black w/ a black spray painted ratchet strap!
2. Full size spare Wheel and Tire: 17x9 American Racing ATX Artillery wrapped in 295/70/17 Nitto Trail Grappler
3. Fire Extinguisher from Walmart (came with mount) attached using self-tapping screws
4. 3" Firestik Antenna in Black. Chris4x4 helped me with this two months or so ago.
5. 48" Hi-Lift (base version) mounted to the Nfab wheel carrier using FourTrex mounts (the silver things you see)

Some new pics courtesy of Cmack from the Arizona Mod-day on April 10, 2010!

TINT!!

Here's the old tint;

No Tint;

and New Tint!;

and check out my brand new BSP SCOOPED HOOD!!!

Dyno'd on 8/6/2010 before install of Dynomax Superturbo and DTLT Headers; 204 WHP and 231 Torque.

Pre-test mode

Results of Dyno;

Again, like I mentioned before, the WHP was 204. Torque was 231.

Here's a few videos from my HTC Incredible

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iynIZWLUSGk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HByzRjZepM

The new Dynomax Superturbo muffler was installed 8/7/2010. Here are a few pics from the install (Tristan at Performance Muffler on 19th Avenue and Cactus here in Phoenix)

OEM still...

Cutting out the TRD muffler...

And then it was time for the new muffler to shine...

Exhaust is dumped right before the OEM spare tire carrier under the bed for the time being. I am taking the TRD tip to Arizona Powdercoat this coming week to have them PC it Tuscan Black like my sliders and front bumper bar...

Maintaining the OEM hangers...

I swapped my non-TRD seats for TRD seats!!

Ta-da!!!

8/8/2010 - Laying out the header assembly. Headers being installed with LOTS of help from Kris (TRDguyKC).

Rear-ends of both vehicles;

Pics from today's DTLT header install aka sweat-fest. It was freakin' HOT!

OEM vs Doug Thorley

Kris' 2007 Tacoma (TW member name TRDguyKC)

Blockin' da streets homie!

OEM gaskets vs. Fel Pro gaskets!

No break-in period (sorry, the camera-phone audio pickup sucks!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlx1uPtAqbE

Kris' truck;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrNhN...layer_embedded

Again... the video audio destroys the clips, but dah well.

Well... after only a few hours with the headers, I had had it! It was time to order a resonator to eliminate that damn rasp! I ordered up a Vibrant Performance Ultra Quiet 14" OVAL body, 2.5" In/ Out resonator.

When the Dynomax Superturbo muffler was installed, I had the exhaust temporarily dumped so that I could thermal coat the TRD exhaust tip. Here's the final product;

Random photo taken before a work meeting;

OME Dakar 2.75" Rear Leaf Srings swapping out my 1.5" All-Pro Leaf Kit;

Old 09-07-2009, 07:41 PM   #3
ilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gavin
ilovetacos's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to ilovetacos
Sweet start with only a month of ownership!
Old 09-07-2009, 07:44 PM   #4
Tsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud ofTsenekos has much to be proud of

Name: Greg
Tsenekos's Tacoma Gallery
love all the black great looking truck
Old 09-07-2009, 07:45 PM   #5
Yotas For Life!
06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed06RedComa is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
06RedComa's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice, any of those sweet az pinstripes yet?
Old 09-08-2009, 04:34 PM   #8
BANNED in 49 states...
AriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Found a brand IFS Skid plate brand new that a co-worker was selling for $100!!!! OH LUCKY DAY!
Old 09-08-2009, 07:55 PM   #9
BANNED in 49 states...

Nah its the AP IFS one. Saw it in person. I was going to pick it up tonight... but over the lunch hour I was driving back to work and lost all brake ability in the truck. Nearly hit a stopped car at a red light near 28th St and Camelback. Had to nail the e-brake. Pulled over, and the truck was leaking brake fluid EVERYWHERE. Tow-truck picked me and the truck up and the dealer has the truck... awaiting to find out WTF happened. Grrr...
Old 09-08-2009, 07:56 PM   #10
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AriZonaD54 View Post
Nah its the AP IFS one. Saw it in person. I was going to pick it up tonight... but over the lunch hour I was driving back to work and lost all brake ability in the truck. Nearly hit a stopped car at a red light near 28th St and Camelback. Had to nail the e-brake. Pulled over, and the truck was leaking brake fluid EVERYWHERE. Tow-truck picked me and the truck up and the dealer has the truck... awaiting to find out WTF happened. Grrr...
Ahhhh. Good move. Scary moment.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:09 PM   #11
BANNED in 49 states...

Sucks too... cuz I was planning on installing the Thule roof rack tonight
Old 09-08-2009, 08:51 PM   #12
BANNED in 49 states...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakleyTRD View Post
installing aka putting it on the roof and tightening a screw its one of the easiest things ive installed. did you get a fairing for it?
Yep. I took your advice and went to REI last week. They had a labor day sale thingie going on all weekend. So I scooped all the roof rack items up at a 20% discount!
Old 09-09-2009, 06:46 PM   #13
BANNED in 49 states...

Still dont have the truck back for the brake issue... but hopefully within the next 2 days I can pick it back up.

In the meantime, I assembled the Thule roof rack to get it ready for the truck's return!

Old 10-19-2009, 08:21 PM   #14
BANNED in 49 states...

Crappy updated pic... been busy at work the last few weeks

Old 10-19-2009, 10:38 PM   #16
Screw your MPG's
jacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
jacob_wood's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jacob_wood
Good start to a sweet lookin' truck! Is the first picture how you bought it from the dealership? Thats awesome if so!
Old 10-29-2009, 09:48 PM   #17
BANNED in 49 states...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob_wood View Post
Good start to a sweet lookin' truck! Is the first picture how you bought it from the dealership? Thats awesome if so!
Yep!
Old 10-31-2009, 10:24 PM   #18
BANNED in 49 states...

Crap photo, but another photo nontheless...

Old 11-02-2009, 10:02 AM   #19
Banned
Masada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shedMasada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Taylor
Masada's Tacoma Gallery
looks good man, I just ordered my sliders from Brandon at Avid and they will be done in a week or two. I'm going with weld on sliders. Thanks for recommending him he's a really cool guy!
Old 11-08-2009, 10:07 AM   #20
BANNED in 49 states...

Updated pics of Avid off-road sliders on the main page/ OP