Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

JW's moderate Build

Old 09-25-2009, 09:13 PM   #1
jwhelan is a glorious beacon of lightjwhelan is a glorious beacon of lightjwhelan is a glorious beacon of lightjwhelan is a glorious beacon of lightjwhelan is a glorious beacon of lightjwhelan is a glorious beacon of light

Name: JW
jwhelan's Tacoma Gallery
JW's moderate Build

Alright short story, I purchased my Taco brand spankin new in March of 05. At the time they were hard to come by and man..did it turn heads as the new body style. It is a silver double cab TRD off road 2WD, I have basically driven the shit out of this thing ( 141,000 ) for almost 5 years now and I have finally decided since it is almost paid for I want to mod it out a little.

I decided I would start a thread first for suggestions and than the how to's, I am fairly mechanically inclined, but I planned to do as much as I can myself. For starters here is what I'm thinkin......

Set of 5100's

New slotted rotors and Hawk pads
Goodridge SS brake lines
17" FJ wheels (Satin black)
BF Goodrich All Terain 265/60/17
Grill swap upper and lower (Grille Craft) and paint match
BHLM maybe fogs
Shorty antenna
Paint inner lower front bump (black)
Powder coat rear bumper (black)
Black out emblems
Sock Monkey TRD Bedside
Wether Tec mats
Piaa wipers
Alpine HU / system
Replace the yellowed headlights
Okole Seat covers
AFE Pro dry filter

I'm really looking for a cleaner look, IMO less is sometimes better, its a 2WD so obviously no real serious off roading other than down a flat dirt road to my favorite fishing hole ...any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Pics on the way.

JW
Old 09-25-2009, 09:25 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Cant wait to see the pics.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:26 PM   #3
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Holy shit that's a lot of miles! Mine's a 1999 and I have 137k. Nice list too.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:00 PM   #5
jwhelan is a glorious beacon of lightjwhelan is a glorious beacon of lightjwhelan is a glorious beacon of lightjwhelan is a glorious beacon of lightjwhelan is a glorious beacon of lightjwhelan is a glorious beacon of light

jwhelan's Tacoma Gallery
Here are few as it sits today, pretty boring stock TRD

Old 09-26-2009, 06:08 PM   #6

jwhelan's Tacoma Gallery
I was thinking something like these...

Gloss

Flat

Old 10-11-2009, 06:53 PM   #8

jwhelan's Tacoma Gallery
Little bump..I have been reading and reading and searching on hear to determine what type of lift to do on my PreRunner. Great information available but somewhat overwhelming.

The consensus seems to be 5100's on all four and AAL?

I was looking at maybe the Toytec Ultimate lift also. I am going with 18" KMC Rockstars (black) with moderate sized tires maybe 265/65/18.

Any input would be much appreciated.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:58 PM   #9
︻╦╤─
Doc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HM1 (FMF/SW/AW)
Name: Frank
Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in to watch the progress.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:35 PM   #10

jwhelan's Tacoma Gallery
Gave it a bath and rubbed in some wax today..

Old 02-25-2010, 04:41 PM   #11

jwhelan's Tacoma Gallery
Build is back on track, here is my progressive as of today, pics to come.

- Had a set of 17" Alum FJ wheels powder coated satin black
- Ordered a set of 5100's from Toytec
- Ordered a new set slotted SP rotors and Hawk pads.
- New set of BF Goodrich All Terrains
Old 03-01-2010, 08:55 PM   #12

jwhelan's Tacoma Gallery
Wheels done..

Old 03-01-2010, 08:56 PM   #13

jwhelan's Tacoma Gallery
Billy's showed up today also.....

Old 03-08-2010, 04:22 PM   #14

jwhelan's Tacoma Gallery
5100's installed on all four, fronts set at 1.75 and AAL in the rear . Do you think it has to much rake?

Old 03-08-2010, 04:35 PM   #15
Addicted
flightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flightcancled's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good to me!
Old 03-08-2010, 04:50 PM   #16

jwhelan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightcancled View Post
Looks good to me!
Thanks, I'm assuming the rear will settle down a little. Next up the FJ wheels and some new rubber.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:36 AM   #17

jwhelan's Tacoma Gallery
Not trying to overkill , I posted this in two other threads, just updating the build.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:57 PM   #18

jwhelan's Tacoma Gallery
Next up..

Grillcraft flush mount
BHLM
Black out the emblems
Black front bumper section
Color match grill frame
Old 04-02-2010, 07:24 PM   #19

jwhelan's Tacoma Gallery
Did the BHLM thang...and swapped out the chrome grill with a matched one...

Old 04-04-2010, 05:22 AM   #20

jwhelan's Tacoma Gallery
Emblems done....