Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

Retard's Build

Old 01-02-2010, 02:30 PM   #1
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
Retard's Build

After some time, and after conquering laziness, I decided making a build thread would be good. So here's my attempt. Let me know if Im missing details.

As of January 12th My truck has:

Front Bilstein 5100s set at 2.5"
Total Chaos Upper Control Arms
Rear Bilstein 5100s
Deaver J66 Springs

TRD Cold Air Intake
Flowmaster 40 Series

16" American Racing Mojaves
33" BFG KM2s

4XInnovations HREW Sliders
Epic Industries Bed Bar w/ Yellow Dust Lights

DDM Tuning 4500k HIDs
Pioneer P-3100 Headunit
Uniden 538 CB Radio W/ 4' Firestick & Integrated PA System
Painted Grille
Wet Okole Seat Covers
Debadged Tailgate
Black Door Badges
Tinted Tail Lights
Black Headlight Mod
Limo Tinted Windows
Differential Breather Mod

I bought my truck In Mid-June of 2009. My wife and I walked into Toyota of Orange at 9:45 PM, 75 minutes before closing time, just to look, but ended up walking out with a Taco. I've always wanted a Tacoma, ever since I was in high school, but could never afford it. Now that I finally had my truck, nothing could be better. I loved my truck just the way it was, til I discovered TW.

Heres a couple pictures of my truck the first week I had it.

Within the first month I had it, and of discovering TW, I thought it'd be pretty cool to test its capabilities offroad. So I hit up a local trail called Main Divide Road. I also added a Flowmaster 40 series muffler and debadged my tailgate, these were my first mods.

Then came the big mods. In September, I began with some 5100s lifted to 2.5" and an AAL. I also added some 16" ATX Mojaves wrapped in 33" BFG KM2s. I got a killer deal on the KM2s and it was a last minute decision, otherwise I wouldve went with some A/Ts. Im glad I got the muds though, their performance is amazing.

I also limo tinted all my windows around this time.

I had issues right after lifting my truck. It would wander all over the road and it felt horrible driving it. I realized I needed some new Upper Control Arms so I went with some Total Chaos Uniball control arms. They definitely fixed the problems I was having with the 2.5" lift and I was able to get my alignment within spec.

I also added some DDM Tuning HID's which recently took a crap on me after getting mud all over them. The connections seem to have burned or something and the wires are loose. I tried cleaning it all up but they're not working properly so Ill be purchasing some new ones soon.

Towards the end of September I found someone selling a TRD intake for super cheap so I proceeded to add that as well. Although the piece doesnt add much horsepower, I love the sound it makes. Its a more deep sound and definitately gives the truck some bigger balls.

I also painted my grille during that time. I hated the chrome with a passion, and though the paint doesnt match perfectly [nothing ever will], it looks damn good IMO.

In October began looking for sliders after my wife complained the truck was too high and I began seeing alot of rocker panel damage. After looking around I determined the 4xInnovations had some of the best stuff around for the price. I paid $245 shipped for the HREW Kickout Sliders. I had them welded on by a local shop and they have performed great. Ive used them in some recent trips to Cleghorn Ridge and I'm very satisfied with their performance. They also work great as steps.

In November, I started the Wet Okole group buy and bought a set. They came out great. They definitely give you more cushion and have done great in protecting my seats. In a recent mudding trip I was very relieved when I had to climb all over my seats with mud all over my feet since I had covers. I got home, took them off, washed them, and theyre still lookin brand new.

I added a CB radio that month as well. I went with a Uniden Pro538 off Amazon and also purchased a 4' Firestick from Right Channel Radios. After seeing/hearing WhatThePho's setup, I thought it'd be cool to add a PA speaker as well and did so. I went with a 50/100w Radio Shack weatherproof PA Speaker. Its gave me no issues and many can attest to its great performance.

More recently I picked up a bed bar from Epic Industries and added a couple of dust lights from Harbor Freight. They only come in "ugly, cheap-ass looking amber" color so I painted them yellow and they came out great.

At mod day, I also swapped tail lights with Ray. He had tinted tails and mine were 09 LEDs. The picture doesnt really do justice but the swap made both our trucks look more bad ass. Thanks Ray

In December, I also added a Pioneer Touchscreen headunit. I had been having trouble with my stock radio. It would shut off when offroading, fail to recognize my iPod, and just a major PITA. Toyota said it would take about 90 days to get a new one and I said f it and pulled the trigger on a touchscreen. Im not a big audio guru and Im not usually into the fancy screens but this one is really nice. I can appreciate controlling my iPod through the steering wheel and seeing all the song info from that screen. It also allows me to play DVDs which I put to use much more often than I though I would.

Its now January of 2010 and Ive had my truck for a little over 6 months. Its come a long way and I've put alot of money into it. I was supposed to go Long Travel soon but my second job fell through and thus funding ceased. In the next 6 weeks I plan to add some lift spindles to my truck to remove any preload from the coilovers. I hate the stiff ride. I also plan on purchasing some new coilovers for the front, Im pretty sure they're gonna be Fox 2.5s set at 0" so Ill have a nice soft ride, good travel, and the full benefits of the shock.

In a few days, Ill be picking up my Deaver 10 pack as well which should definitely soften the rear as well and help it flex when needed in offroad situations.

In the next year, I'd really like to finish up the truck (how many times have you heard that?). This is my 2010 Mod List:

-Timbrens
-Rear Fox 2.5s
-New Rear Bumper (Chrome Sucks)
-Spare Tire Carrier
-Roof Rack to carry my snowboard

The future of my truck is unclear. I never anticipated offroading it but now that I enter the offroad scene and begin to travel more, I'm digging a 4x4. I may sell this truck later and buy a 4x4 or keep it as a toy and buy an AWD Subi, Ill probably buy the Subi though. Only time will tell.

Here are some random pics of my truck. Hope you enjoyed Reading my build.

Old 01-02-2010, 02:32 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Lookin good!
Old 01-02-2010, 02:37 PM   #3
Drakken is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
Name: Nevin
Drakken's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice, looking forward to seeing the rest.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:40 PM   #4
05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Taylor
05TRD4WD's Tacoma Gallery
looks good. i need to take some pics and start my own build thread
Old 01-02-2010, 05:39 PM   #5
rustyshakelford is on a distinguished road
Name: Brett
rustyshakelford's Tacoma Gallery
looks good but whats the deal with the aluminum foil?

brett
Old 01-02-2010, 05:41 PM   #6
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
that shit is dope
Old 01-02-2010, 05:44 PM   #7
Love peace and Taco Grease
Dellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Dellosa89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyshakelford View Post

brett

I think he broke his power steering cab at Ocotillo Wells.

Truck looks good man.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:54 PM   #9
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunctnlretard View Post
[CENTER][B][COLOR="Purple"]
Nice brake resi cap? - How long did you wear that thing?
Old 01-02-2010, 06:14 PM   #11
rob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
rob1's Tacoma Gallery
Niceeee!!!
Old 01-02-2010, 06:19 PM   #12
( . )( . )
Stillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: J.D.
Stillfly199's Tacoma Gallery
Did you use any nuts on the back side of the bed with the antenna mount? Looks good for a prerunner
Old 01-02-2010, 06:24 PM   #13
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like the kind of truck I'd like to pull out of a jam - Let's get out there again!
Old 01-02-2010, 06:26 PM   #14
Tacoma with the TRI package
TRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tri
TRICOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRICOMA Send a message via MSN to TRICOMA

Will he be near water??

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMurphy View Post
Looks like the kind of truck I'd like to pull out of a jam - Let's get out there again!
Old 01-02-2010, 06:36 PM   #15
jlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jen
jlvhrse's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jlvhrse
Looks great!
Old 01-02-2010, 06:37 PM   #16
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillfly199 View Post
Did you use any nuts on the back side of the bed with the antenna mount? Looks good for a prerunner
yea I used nuts on the backside. I
lifted the black trim and used a small socket to tighten it down good. No issues so far
Old 01-02-2010, 06:43 PM   #17
Hi
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyshakelford View Post

brett
My PA speaker isn't buckled down, it's sitting on the wheel well in between the battey and brake fluid reservoir. In ocotillo, it jumped and knocked the cap of the brake fluid resi. I've been sporting the aluminum foil mod for about 6 weeks. Lol. Toyota wants $32 for a cap and I didn't wanna pay that much for plastic but I couldn't find it anywhere else so I just ordered a new one today and it should be in this Tuesday. I'll also be doing a brake fluid flush so it'll all be clean and nice.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:51 PM   #18
theinjected1 is on a distinguished road

Name: Todd
theinjected1's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great. I like the way the white lettering on the tires looks. I do not know why, but sometimes it looks good, sometimes not. This time, it works.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:08 AM   #19
Hi
finished. thanks for reading.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:12 AM   #20
Wanna know how I got these scars?
BigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
BigBawlzTaco's Tacoma Gallery
LOL, thank you !!!