1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rooty's "Tacfroma" Build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by Rooty, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Feb 7, 2010 at 9:27 AM
    taco084gb

taco084gb No matter where you go there you are.

Member:
    First Name:
    Galen
    NorCal
    Very nice lookin truck Jesse. I wish I had the same bumper on my 08. At the time they only had the one without the foglight mod.
    That is one nice job on the wheel painting and the front grill. The Truck is very sharp.:D

2. Feb 7, 2010 at 9:42 AM
    moto932

moto932 What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Dayton, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD Off Road
    Basically stock. OME 882s, HD Dakars and nitrochrgers, TG front bumper, custom rear bumper, 4Xinnovations sliders, RAT skids, Softopper, 255/85/16 ST MAXX's on 16" steelies, 1" B.O.R.A. wheel spacers Scangaugae II, deck plate mod, grey wire mod,ECGS bushing, diff breather relocation, alarm mod, defrost w/o compressor mod, de-badged, sockmonkey beside decals.
    truck looks awesome jesse. keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

3. Feb 7, 2010 at 4:16 PM
    Rooty

Rooty [OP] Tacfroma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Missoula MT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper with Foglights, IPF 968 Driving Lights, Color Matched Grill Surround and Eyelids, Grillcraft Grill with Custom Taco Emblem, Black Headlight Mod, EGR Hood Deflector and In Channel Rain Guards, Stock Wheels Painted Black, BFG TA/KO's in 265/75/R16, Debadged, Stubbs Welding HDSKO Sliders, Front Windows Tint, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Weathertec Floor Mats, Autolights Unlimited Smoked 3rd Brake and Tail Lights, Powdercoated Rear Bumper, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Factory Bed Mat, Compustar 1 way remote start
    Thanks dude! Yeah I was gonna skip the bumper till I saw that they were now coming with fog lights, that sealed the deal for me :cool:

Thanks man. Now I just gotta paint the center caps and put em on (I'm surprised no ones noticed that yet) and wire up my driving lights. I'm going with a three way switch (one position for on/off with the highbeams, one position for always on and one position for always off. Then I think I will be done for a good long while. I may lift it a bit in the future but I think I am gonna wait till I need new tires and shocks. Its hard to justify the cash otherwise, as I would only be putting it up 3 or 4 inches. Some Uncle Bud's under armor may make its way on there too at some point.

4. Feb 7, 2010 at 4:39 PM
    AzogSS

AzogSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Soda City, SC
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma / 2011 FJC
    The new ARB's look great, your truck really looks good!

5. Feb 7, 2010 at 5:34 PM
    Rooty

Rooty [OP] Tacfroma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Missoula MT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper with Foglights, IPF 968 Driving Lights, Color Matched Grill Surround and Eyelids, Grillcraft Grill with Custom Taco Emblem, Black Headlight Mod, EGR Hood Deflector and In Channel Rain Guards, Stock Wheels Painted Black, BFG TA/KO's in 265/75/R16, Debadged, Stubbs Welding HDSKO Sliders, Front Windows Tint, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Weathertec Floor Mats, Autolights Unlimited Smoked 3rd Brake and Tail Lights, Powdercoated Rear Bumper, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Factory Bed Mat, Compustar 1 way remote start
    Thanks boss. I like yours as well, did you do the BHLM or are those the eagle eye aftermarket lights?

6. Mar 12, 2010 at 8:17 AM
    Mondwa

Mondwa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 V6 Tacoma
    remote start, Allpro bumper, Slimchubby HID, MetalMiller custom Emblem
    you still alive? hope all is well.

7. Mar 12, 2010 at 1:32 PM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    needs a lift

8. Mar 12, 2010 at 3:23 PM
    matt86

matt86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Badass :thumbsup:

9. Mar 14, 2010 at 10:26 PM
    Rooty

Rooty [OP] Tacfroma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Missoula MT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab 4x4
    Yeah I'm still kickin, back at work :jerkoff:
    Where were you at the meet? MT Girl and I were the only ones that showed up! Geeze... missing the meet you set up, lame dude! :smack:

I know, I know. If you wanna wire me about 2 grand I'll get right on it :p

Thank you sir!

10. Mar 15, 2010 at 3:51 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    SICK!!! I like it alot. The bumper, all the color. It all comes together really well. A+++ from me.

11. Mar 15, 2010 at 4:16 PM
    Rooty

Rooty [OP] Tacfroma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Missoula MT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab 4x4
    Thanks for the props buddy! :cool:

12. Mar 15, 2010 at 4:39 PM
    JohnnyTaco

JohnnyTaco Is this thing on?

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement TRD OR 4x4
    OV tune Wet Okole seat covers
    nice tac-fro!

13. Mar 15, 2010 at 4:47 PM
    Rooty

Rooty [OP] Tacfroma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Missoula MT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab 4x4
    Spanks dude!

14. Mar 16, 2010 at 4:19 PM
    fiestee23

fiestee23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Theresa
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner SR5
    6" ProComp lift w/coilovers, 35" ProComp A/T tires, Volant Intake, MagnaFlow Exhaust, Pioneer In-dash Navigation, NFAB tube steps, 6500 lb tow package, POP n LOCK tailgate lock, Air lift Bags, and MORE.....
    For the chrome grill surround I noticed that you said you painted it. I was looking at mine just now and seen the regular screws that need to come out. But I also noticed those one way snap and lock screws, do those need to get broken off and replaced or do I just take out the regular screws? Sounds lame but dont wanna f-up. And have you had any issues with major chipping or anything yet?

15. Mar 16, 2010 at 4:58 PM
    Rooty

Rooty [OP] Tacfroma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Missoula MT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab 4x4
    I'm not sure I understand your question completely but I think you are talking about the screws and pop tabs to remove the whole assembly from the truck. You dont have to break any of those. The pop tabs have a circular bit on the top of them. You just get a flat head underneath them, lift it up to release the lock and the whole thing will come out. Leave the circular bit up and when you are putting the grill back on put the tab back in the hole and press down on the circular bit to lock it into place. The tabs I was referring to earlier in this thread are the ones that hold the chrome surround onto the grill itself. Once you get the grill assembly off, look on the back side and you will see several plastic tabs that poke through from the surround on the front side. They are melted into place so you have to snap off the melted bits (some were stubborn and I had to use a dremel) in order to remove the surround from the rest of the grill. If you didn't want to mess around with all that I suppose you could just paint it in place. I removed it because I didn't want to deal with masking off everything else, plus it would be really hard to prep and paint on the edges in between the surround and the grill. I would suggest removing it like I did, just make sure you keep as many and as much of the tabs as you can intact so there is something to hold it together when you are putting it back on. Wait for your paint and clear coat to completely cure (unlike my mess up) and clamp the surround back onto the grill by lining up what is left of the tabs into their original slots. Then use some plastic weld (its like 5 min epoxy but is designed to bond to plastic) on each of the tabs to glue them back into place. As far as the paint durability; its holding up very well, though as I said in an earlier post I still need to do some finish sanding and polishing on the clear coat and fix the spots where the clamps smooshed it around. Remember everything (well most everything) is in the prep work. You are going to want to sand all the faux chrome off down to the plastic and shoot a couple of coats of adhesion promoter on there before you prime, paint and clearcoat. You can get everything you need from automotivetouchup.com

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any more questions.

16. Apr 5, 2010 at 8:37 AM
    jodiddly33

jodiddly33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonah
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2010 Golf TDI
    i'm thinking about getting tail lights from Auto Lights Unlimited, how do you like yours? Are yours the medium or dark shade? Was the transaction sketchy at all, or are they easy to work with?

17. Apr 5, 2010 at 3:36 PM
    Rooty

Rooty [OP] Tacfroma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Missoula MT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab 4x4
    I love my tail/3rd brake lights, especially with the magnetic gray color and the BHLM. They are waaaayyyy nicer than any night shades tint job you will ever see and the finish is really sturdy. They can even be polished and waxed according to the website. They prep and spray them (not sure what the product is) and then they put them in a kiln for about 2 weeks to cure. I got the medium tint because I was concerned about getting hassled by the man. Montana's code reads something like: "No tail light shall have any decal, structure or tinting system that obscures the color or diminishes the visibility required in section (blah blah blah)". I emailed my local cop shop with a photo of the lights before I bought them to see if they were kosher and they basically told me that it would be up to the individual cop but that if they could still be seen from the 300 feet when illuminated and retained the colors for the brakes and indicators I should be fine. You can still see the red in the lights (barely) if the sun is out, and I roll with my headlights on at all times so the red running lights are illuminated anyways. No problems with the po-po's yet but I keep a copy of the email I got back from them just in case so I can show I did my homework at least. Mike, (they guy at auto lights unlimited) told me that the medium tint is 50 state legal, for what that's worth. Speaking of Mike, he was a pleasure to work with. I work overseas so I opted to send in my lights to get them tinted while I was gone rather than buying a set off him, which saved me a little money. He was very helpful, accommodating with my schedule and was prompt with his correspondence. If you can't live without your tail lights long enough to send them in (it takes about two weeks) you can just order a set from him and send in your old ones when the new ones arrive for a core charge refund.

Hope that helps your decision, like I say I was very satisfied with the experience and the product. Get the lights dude, you will be glad you did :cool:

18. Apr 5, 2010 at 3:39 PM
    MOT

MOT Prez of @BattleBornToyotas

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 DB DC 4X4 Sr5 Sport
    Black Housing Head, Custom Retro fit, T-Rex #2 Eyelids 50 inch ToughLight Radius Bar and 2 20 inch Bars behind grill with BAMF mount, T-Rex #2 Eyelids, Custom Vegas Dezert Fab Front Bumper and Rock Sliders,Wet Okole's, WeatherTech Mats, Magnaflow Exhaust, Pro Comp 6 InchStage 2 Lift, K&N Intake,
    Great I Started A Fad With The Taco Badge! I Know I Did HAHA!

19. Apr 5, 2010 at 3:42 PM
    jodiddly33

jodiddly33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonah
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2010 Golf TDI
    awesome thanks so much Jesse, they look sick as hell. i just wanted to do my homework before i dropped $330 big ones for lights. and you're right, all the other alternatives look plain crappy compared to those. These are on my list!:cool:

20. Apr 5, 2010 at 3:44 PM
    Rooty

Rooty [OP] Tacfroma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Missoula MT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab 4x4
    Ahhhh you have good taste! FWIW I came up with the idea on my own though (not that it took too much creativity) :p

Products Discussed in

To Top