Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

Rooty's "Tacfroma" Build

Old 01-23-2010, 08:16 PM   #1
Tacfroma
Rooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud of

Name: Jesse
Rooty's Tacoma Gallery
Rooty's "Tacfroma" Build

Well I bought my truck back in October and I just finished her up a few weeks ago after much research, work and liberal use of the credit card

Here is how she sat when I bought her (no its not my real hair)

And here is how she sits today!

Sorry I don't have any photos of the actual build. I was pretty busy just trying to get it done and I don't really want everyone on the internet to see the dismal state of my garage Anyhoo here are the mods.

ARB front bumper with IPF 968 6' Driving lights (no winch, I might get one in the future if I start to get into off-roading) Also installed a Grillcraft front grill and turned one of the Tacoma badges I took off into a custom emblem. Painted the chrome grill surround as well.

Black Headlight Mod, in Krylon Fusion Satin Black

Color matched eyelids and EGR deflector

Stock wheels painted with Rustoleum Hammered Finish Black. BFG AT/KO's in 265/75/16

Stubbs Welding HDSKO Sliders in Hammered Finish Black (Richard was a pleasure to work with, top notch product and customer service)

EGR in channel rain guards. Front window tint.

Wet Okole Seat Covers. Weather Tech Mats.

Tinted tail and 3rd brake lights compliments of Auto Lights Unlimited. Powder coated rear bumper and TRD Cat Back exhaust.

Other mods include a factory bed mat, Compustar 1 way remote start and an AFE Pro Dry Filter.

Thanks to everyone who helped out with my many questions. If anyone has questions for me I will be happy to return TW the favor. Thats about all I am doing for now. My modding thirst has been quenched for the time being and I have to give the credit card a rest. I may be lifting it in the future but the thing only has 1500 miles on it, I'm gonna roll with it as is for a while.

On a side note if anyone would be interested in the factory bumper and foglights shoot me a PM. I also have a Grillcraft lower grill insert that I never ended up using because I ended up splurging for the ARB.

So whaddya people think? Do you like it as much as me????
Old 01-23-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
Gringo Bandito
tcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
tcBob's Tacoma Gallery
huge difference...looks great
Old 01-23-2010, 08:25 PM   #5
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
looks so awesome great work!
Old 01-23-2010, 08:30 PM   #6
ThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
ThatGuy18's Tacoma Gallery
Dude that truck is sick. Though I do think you need to lift it eventually... It looks like it sits too low with the ARB and BFG's on it. But nonetheless awesome ride.

P.S. Personally, the front license plate ruins it for me but you have to love those state laws :P
Old 01-23-2010, 08:32 PM   #7
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
ROOTY!
The truck looks awesome, ya damn show off
The 'TACO' grill is super cool
my hat's off to you sir
Old 01-23-2010, 08:41 PM   #8
( . )( . )
Stillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: J.D.
Stillfly199's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome, love the truck. Looks great.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:33 PM   #9
Mondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Mondwa's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice man, Cant wait to meet up. You going to be in the Kalispell Area around the 17th-1st of March? I will be home for that short period of time.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:22 PM   #10
Tacfroma
Rooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud ofRooty has much to be proud of

Rooty's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys, glad everyone likes it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
Beautiful. If you line-xed or rhinoed your fender flares black that would look good too.
Yeah I was thinkin about that too. It would tie into the powdercoat on the ARB nicely methinks. I don't know, I'll have to mess around on photoshop and see how I like it, once that stuff goes on there is no turning back. At any rate its gonna have to wait a while that shit ain't cheap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy18 View Post
P.S. Personally, the front license plate ruins it for me but you have to love those state laws :P
I know man it sucks, but I am already pushing my luck with the po-po's on the tail lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondwa View Post
Very nice man, Cant wait to meet up. You going to be in the Kalispell Area around the 17th-1st of March? I will be home for that short period of time.
Yeah I'm comin home from work on the 11th next month for a 4 week break. I'll be up in Bigfork a couple of times no doubt, probably going to hit Big Mountain at least once. PM me your number and we will work something out. Let me know if you need a hand on your build!
Old 01-23-2010, 10:26 PM   #12
My Taco is Bi-Winning!!!!!!!!
meckleystephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeckleystephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeckleystephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeckleystephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeckleystephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeckleystephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeckleystephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeckleystephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeckleystephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeckleystephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeckleystephen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: EAS'D
Name: Stephen
meckleystephen's Tacoma Gallery
im thinking about the eyelids just curious did u paint them urself or get them painted if so how much??
Old 01-23-2010, 10:27 PM   #13
Wanna know how I got these scars?
BigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
BigBawlzTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Is that ARB on stock suspension??
Doesnt look sagged at all!
NICELY DONE MAN!!
Old 01-23-2010, 10:30 PM   #14
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
What a huge transformation! NICE... sweet idea about power coating the rear bumper instead of just swapping it out for a stock black one.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:55 AM   #15
Tacfroma

Rooty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by meckleystephen View Post
im thinking about the eyelids just curious did u paint them urself or get them painted if so how much??
I shot them myself after talking to Westdog976. He shot his as well and turned me onto this site http://www.automotivetouchup.com/spr...t_matched.aspx the eyelids are on ebay from seller Vq5speed here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Tacom...Q5fAccessories They come primed which is nice you just shoot a few coats of base and then clearcoat em' I used the same stuff on my grill surround but shot some adhesion promoter on the plastic first. The paint matches really good, it even has the metallic flakes that are in the magnetic grey color. I still need to wet sand and polish the clear coat though...I was in a hurry to get it done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBawlzTaco View Post
Is that ARB on stock suspension??
Doesnt look sagged at all!
NICELY DONE MAN!!
Yeah I was a bit worried about that, even posted to get some advice. Its not to heavy without the winch, probably about 80 pounds. Little to no sag and rides fine, it may wear the shocks out quicker in the long run but by then I'll probably be lookin to lift it a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by w8n4mud View Post
What a huge transformation! NICE... sweet idea about power coating the rear bumper instead of just swapping it out for a stock black one.
Thanks, sourcing a black one second hand in Montana probably wasn't going to happen and I didn't want to pay shipping or buy a new one. Only cost me 120 bucks at my local shop to have em blast it, shoot it with zinc and powdercoat it. I just hope it holds up!
Old 01-29-2010, 12:21 AM   #16
671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed671taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

671taco's Tacoma Gallery
sick dude, what did you use to color match the grill?
Old 01-29-2010, 12:47 AM   #17
sachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
sachou's Tacoma Gallery
Whaaaaaaaat? You bought that thing in October? That's when I bought MY truck! And you've done so much more to it than I did to mine, and I don't even have a legitimate job!

Very nice, dude. I love the color(s), tints looks good, good choice on the rear powdercoat, and ARB looks awesome on the second gen grays.

Can't wait to see more updates!

A truck worthy of the Big Sky Country!
Old 01-29-2010, 02:35 AM   #18
Tacfroma

Rooty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 671taco View Post
sick dude, what did you use to color match the grill?
I used the same paint from automotivetouch.com that I used on the eyelids. (see post above) I also shot the TACO emblem with it. The stuff goes down and matches remarkably well for a rattle can. As I said above, I need to do some finish wetsanding and polishing on the clearcoat though and it will gloss up more and match even better. I also messed up by not waiting long enough for the clearcoat to cure (at least 24 preferably 48 hours I now know) before I clamped the grill surround back to the grill. I took the surround off the rest of the grill so I could lay down the paint nice and evenly and so I didn't have to do any masking. Anyways, the tabs that hold the surround to the rest of the grill appear to be melted into place at the factory (there are no locking mechanisms) So in the process of getting it off you inevitably break several of the tabs (I even had to cut a few out with the Dremel) and the surround wont snap back into place after you paint it. In order to get it back on securely I had to clamp it down in several places and use some plastic weld to bond what was left of the tabs to the grill. Since the clear coat wasn't cured, the clamps ended up smooshing it around in a couple of spots, ruining the finish (you can see a little bit of it on the upper left corner of the surround in my signature). Luckily, it didn't get all the way to the base coat though so I should be able to sand it smooth, shoot a few more coats of clear (let it cure properly this time) and do the final wetsand/polish work. Just a heads up if you are planning to do it yourself. Or if you don't want to go through the trouble you can order a OEM color matched one for around 200 bucks.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:16 AM   #20
Screw your MPG's
jacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
jacob_wood's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jacob_wood