Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

Gerty, the build down.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:05 PM   #1
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) veteran
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
Gerty, the build down.

SKIP TO PAGE 25 FOR THE SECOND SUSPENSION SETUP.

Trucks name is Gertrude. 2005 Tacoma base model. All my vehicles have old lady names. Agnes and Edna were my last 2.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __
Mod List

Wheels/Tires
X-Runner wheels
Nitto Neo Gen 245/40-18 tires

Suspension, front:
DJM upper/lower control arms.
X-Runner Bilsteins
X-Runner coils
1" spacer kit

Suspension, rear:
Beefed Taco notch
Beefed Taco 4" blocks/hardware
PreRunner leafs with removed overload leaf
QA1 shocks
Defined Engineering leaf shackles

Engine:
Stock box & K&N 63 series hybrid intake
FlowMaster HushPower II 18" muffler
RedLine hood struts

Body:
Color matched front bumper
Color matched grille w/filled in side triangles
Grillecraft upper/lower black mesh grilles
X-Runner black bumper piece
Color matched door handles
Color matched rear bumper
Debadged and removed mud flaps
Black vinyl roof
Black vinyl hood/wiper cowl

Lighting:
Clear headlights w/PIAA Xtreme White Plus headlamps, silver turn signal bulbs.
Added factory fog lamps with yellow bulbs
Tail lights wrapped with transparent red vinyl
LED dome light
LED tail light bulbs

Interior:
Added factory cruise control
5% tint on rear glass
35% tint on door windows
ScanGauge II
Color matched stereo surround
Color matched HVAC trim
Color matched center a/c trim
White gauges/needles
Bucket seats from a 2008 SR5 access cab
TRD shift knob

Sound System:
Infinity Kappa 60.3 door speakers/tweeters/band passes
Kenwood Xcelon KDC-X794 head unit w/iPod interface in glove box
Scoshe single din head unit trim
Old PPI 10" sub in a truck box
Old Pioneer amp
Mr. Marv speaker baffles
TacoTunes wiring adapters
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________

The day I brought my new baby home. February 2009, my 26th birthday present to myself. Seen here next to Edna, who was sold the next day.

Sent off front bumper and grill to TJ to get painted. Debadged at the same time.

Stock headlights are gone. Replaced lights with PIAA Xtreme whites, blinkers and parking lights were replaced with chrome bulbs that light up amber.

Next mod, Grillcraft upper and lower grills. Rear window was tinted at 5% around this time.

K&N 63 series added next.

Photoshopped drop by MJBtaco.

Stock stereo and speakers are gone. Replaced with an old POS Pioneer headunit, old POS Pioneer amp, old POS PPI 10' sub, and brand spanking new Infinity Kappa 60.3 door speaker/tweeters held on by TacoTunes wiring adapters and Mr. Marv baffles.

Got an idea from dear old pops about putting panty hose over holes

Picked up a K&N Drycharger, highly recommended for the dusty climates
K&N part number is RD-1024DK.

Rattle canned my rear bumper, it's flat, no gloss. I also took my tail lights out and "fogged" them with the same paint as the bumper. Don't do this, I wasn't of sound mind when I did.

FlowMaster HushPower II 18'' muffler installed, stock piping, added a swap meet tip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCvZHD3zReo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2x23gLWH3s

I recently performed the inverted rear view mirror mod, that gets an A+.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:08 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Lookin good!
Old 02-10-2010, 05:09 PM   #3
I think I'm getting the Fear.
MY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53-E Crewchief/Mechanic, HMH-464
Name: Mojo
MY50cal's Tacoma Gallery
nice. whats the inverted mirror mod?
Old 02-10-2010, 05:11 PM   #4
Not your average girl
yotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Small town firefighter EMT
Name: Katie
yotanator's Tacoma Gallery
I like it. I always name my vehicles too, the current one is Julian.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:11 PM   #5
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY50cal View Post
nice. whats the inverted mirror mod?
Take your mirror, and flip it upside down, then move the arm up.

You get about 1"-1.5" more viewing pleasure out of your Taco. Doesn't work so great if you have the backup camera lol
Old 02-10-2010, 05:14 PM   #6
( . )( . )
Stillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: J.D.
Stillfly199's Tacoma Gallery
So when are you gonna drop it? You gonna bag it or just a susp drop?
Old 02-10-2010, 05:14 PM   #7
Mob parking lots.

Thanks for all the nice words lady and gentlemen
Old 02-10-2010, 05:14 PM   #8
I think I'm getting the Fear.
MY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53-E Crewchief/Mechanic, HMH-464
Name: Mojo
MY50cal's Tacoma Gallery
haha, no kidding. first i've heard of that. might have to give it a try. thanks,
Old 02-10-2010, 05:16 PM   #9
Mob parking lots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillfly199 View Post
So when are you gonna drop it? You gonna bag it or just a susp drop?
I found a seller that deals the DJM 3/4 complete kit for $410 shipped.

I was thinking about that route, but I've been talking to Shane at Sittin Sic, and he hopes to have a coilover front and rear drop out by April, so I might have to wait and see.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:57 PM   #10
Mob parking lots.

Last week, when it was raining, I pulled my grille off and bonded some screen (plain old window screen) to the back side of the grille, mostly so you can't see behind it.

Works great, but...it catches all the little leaves and debris that would have otherwise fallen down. Now I have a collection of crap trapped between the grille and the screen. Live and learn, can't believe I didn't think about that lol.

Plan to fix this is to take the grille off and Dremelize some slots in the bottom of the plastic to allow debris to escape. Pics next week.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:00 PM   #11
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Nice!
Old 02-10-2010, 07:06 PM   #12
( . )( . )
Stillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: J.D.
Stillfly199's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjboutin View Post
I found a seller that deals the DJM 3/4 complete kit for $410 shipped.

I was thinking about that route, but I've been talking to Shane at Sittin Sic, and he hopes to have a coilover front and rear drop out by April, so I might have to wait and see.
Hmmm that sounds very interesting. That is gonna look good when you drop it.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:12 PM   #13
Mob parking lots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillfly199 View Post
Hmmm that sounds very interesting. That is gonna look good when you drop it.
I hope so. It's kind of on the back burner for now until SS shows a product.

As much as I wanna be in the weeds, can't afford two drops lol
Old 02-11-2010, 07:22 AM   #14
Rompin Around
lembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
lembowski's Tacoma Gallery
How much did the TJ paint job cost you?
Old 02-11-2010, 08:58 AM   #15
where can't I go?
AZCOMA is a splendid one to beholdAZCOMA is a splendid one to beholdAZCOMA is a splendid one to beholdAZCOMA is a splendid one to beholdAZCOMA is a splendid one to beholdAZCOMA is a splendid one to beholdAZCOMA is a splendid one to beholdAZCOMA is a splendid one to behold

Name: Kacey
AZCOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Looks sweet so far!
Old 02-11-2010, 11:48 AM   #16
Mob parking lots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lembowski View Post
How much did the TJ paint job cost you?
$190 through a buddy. It's all about who ya know.

Buddy races baja in his truck. Eli Hanna, cousin to Rodrigo Ampudia.

Eli also races his CRF450x on team 105x.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:01 PM   #17
Mob parking lots.

Installed the cruise control today. So simple.
You need to purchase the cruise control stalk, the brown wire, 2 screws that hold it in the wheel, and the trim piece for the side of the wheel (I forgot about that, but it's on order right now). Works like a charm.

Edit: Thank you to Jason (Speedfreek from CT for pretty much doing the installs lol Certified techs get shit done wayyyy quicker, he didn't even have a beer lol) Everything was done in about 45 minutes!

Today, we replaced my accessory plug housing because the cover was broke, pics not needed. Just pull the metal sleeve out and pry the plastic housing off, easy peasy.
Also, Jason welded my exhaust tip so it doesn't slap against my bed when it's cold.

Next, installed color matched door handles from the factory and a couple clear door guards to prevent chipping. Before and after pics:

Old 02-19-2010, 07:54 PM   #18
Mob parking lots.

I sustained damage to the front bumper from driving into a steel retaining cable for a telephone pole. I've been toying with the XR center piece, and since 99% of the damage would be covered by it, I pulled the trigger. You can see the gash on the drivers side. I don't have the best Dremelizing skills, so the top of the XR piece is a little, uneven, shall we say. I plan to find a small plastic trim piece and put it on the top to smooth it out. I painted the part behind it satin black. I dunno, I may just get a new bumper and have that part pained black. I'm satisfied, but not happy with how it turned out.

Tell me what you think!

Old 02-20-2010, 04:58 PM   #19
Mob parking lots.

So today, the not so smooth top part of the piece was bothering me, I went to Pepboys and picked up some of that black plastic door guard and slipped it on the top, nice and smooth now, happy. Yay door handles!

Old 02-20-2010, 08:55 PM   #20
Male Member
Taco Ron is a splendid one to beholdTaco Ron is a splendid one to beholdTaco Ron is a splendid one to beholdTaco Ron is a splendid one to beholdTaco Ron is a splendid one to beholdTaco Ron is a splendid one to beholdTaco Ron is a splendid one to behold

Taco Ron's Tacoma Gallery
Lookin good, man. Its nice seeing someone going the lowered route.