Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

My Overland Taco

Old 03-30-2010, 11:02 PM   #1
Tacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tacovendor's Tacoma Gallery
My Overland Taco

Just bought a 2010 standard cab 4X4 SR5, I'm going to make it an economy overland vehicle.
here the first pic as it was fresh off the lot at El Cajon Toyota

The first mod was a Leer 100R, w/ a windoor on the drivers side, and Thule tracks on the roof.

Next will be suspension and armor and then the camper will get the overland make over. Keep your eye on this project if your thinking of overlanding with your Taco.
March of 2013, as it is today:
Old 03-31-2010, 02:18 PM   #3
Tacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks! I have done an FJ and feel the short wheel base and 6' bed will be a good for an overland rig. It (4cyl)willl also make me be aware of what mods weigh and how I outfit it. Also tire size and type,armor etc. Stay tuned!
Old 04-03-2010, 06:39 PM   #5

This is my "other" Toyota, all my mods were made w/ overland travel and 4X4 performance in mind. I'm working on some modular slides in the bed to haul all of the camping equipment. Also trying to decide to sleep in the camper or install a roof top tent. Bumpers, wheel and suspension are on the list. If anyone knows of any camping type threads please let me know.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:41 PM   #6
You think I was rollin out here naked?
ToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MA
ToucanV13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacovendor View Post
This is my "other" Toyota, all my mods were made w/ overland travel and 4X4 performance in mind. I'm working on some modular slides in the bed to haul all of the camping equipment. Also trying to decide to sleep in the camper or install a roof top tent. Bumpers, wheel and suspension are on the list. If anyone knows of any camping type threads please let me know.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:45 PM   #7
bishes love my haircut
Gr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Gr8WhiteTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Gr8WhiteTaco
Hey I mean if your bored with your Fj and want a bigger-than-what-ya-got tacoma, I mean I'll trade my taco for your fj.......
Old 04-03-2010, 10:13 PM   #8

No, I love it too much! It is a great vehicle, but now it's time for the econo build. Besides it's my wifes toy.....................V6 all power, hell I've got crank windows and a single CD player in my Taco!!!
Old 04-03-2010, 10:18 PM   #9
bishes love my haircut
Gr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Gr8WhiteTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Gr8WhiteTaco
I'm quite jealous of your wife. lol
Old 04-05-2010, 09:29 PM   #10

She loves it, we travel and camp all over the southwest. The Tacoma will hopefully be as nice or even better.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:53 AM   #11
Taco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Taco Gunner's Tacoma Gallery
I will be keeping a close on eye on this thread....I am looking to do the same thing. I also need to keep the truck street friendly...it is my daily driver!!
Old 04-06-2010, 10:32 AM   #13

Sure!
Intake:
Safari Snorkle
AFE TBS,CAI
High Tuck exhaust
Suspension;
Icon 2.5
Armor:
Rasta Aluminum skids
ARB front, rear
Stock (aka: N-Fab) rock rails
Icon shock skids
Tires:
BFG KM2 MT 285/75/17's
Pro Comp wheels
Lighting:
Baja Designs La Paz HID's on Top
and Fuego HID's on the bumper, I'm also running the rock lights they make.
Rack: BajaRack FJ EXP, awning mount, ladder
Tent/Awning:
Mombasa USA RTT 9009 tent and 2m awning.
Misc: Powertank, Warn 9000 w superline, Bushwacker flares, Sprintail storage solutions, IMP shift knobs, Industrial forming rolltop console
It was in 4wdToyotaOwner magazine last year as a feature vehicle.

Hope you like them, I'm really excited about doing the Tacoma now, FJ is a great platform to overland in but I feel the Taco will do just as well.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:34 AM   #14
Prez of @battleborntacomas and ASSHOLE!
MOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Daniel
MOT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sure!
Intake:
Safari Snorkle
AFE TBS,CAI
High Tuck exhaust
Suspension;
Icon 2.5
Armor:
Rasta Aluminum skids
ARB front, rear
Stock (aka: N-Fab) rock rails
Icon shock skids
Tires:
BFG KM2 MT 285/75/17's
Pro Comp wheels
Lighting:
Baja Designs La Paz HID's on Top
and Fuego HID's on the bumper, I'm also running the rock lights they make.
Rack: BajaRack FJ EXP, awning mount, ladder
Tent/Awning:
Mombasa USA RTT 9009 tent and 2m awning.
Misc: Powertank, Warn 9000 w superline, Bushwacker flares, Sprintail storage solutions, IMP shift knobs, Industrial forming rolltop console
It was in 4wdToyotaOwner magazine last year as a feature vehicle.

Hope you like them, I'm really excited about doing the Tacoma now, FJ is a great platform to overland in but I feel the Taco will do just as well.
That Tent Is Sweet I Would Love To Do This On Top Of My UnderCover How Does It Work?
Old 04-06-2010, 11:36 AM   #15

I'm working on this as we speak. It's adaptable to tubes, racks and could be bolted to your cover.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:35 AM   #16
Taco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Taco Gunner's Tacoma Gallery
What size tire do you think you will go with? How about a lift?

I want to prevent rubbing but not limit the trucks capabilities by having the wrong set up.

I plan on exploring AZ in this thing..but need to keep it friendly on the street.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:51 AM   #18

Thanks, I'm going to lift 2.5 to 3"'s so I could run 33's but most likely I'll be running a 32" 9 or 10". What really effects the rubbing issue the most is the wheel offset, so I've been consulting with some other people that have built overland Tacomas for the scoop. Oh, I do have the stock wheels from my FJ and might apply them after a powder coat, I just have to see about the 17" rim. If anyone in AZ want's to see a great display of offorad/overland rigs and equipment, go to Amado next weekend as a visitor to the Overland Expo. I'll have my FJ there and would love to meet some TW members. Cris
Old 04-14-2010, 05:07 PM   #20
www.saveadane.org
Anathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnathollo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Anathollo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks, I'm going to lift 2.5 to 3"'s so I could run 33's but most likely I'll be running a 32" 9 or 10". What really effects the rubbing issue the most is the wheel offset, so I've been consulting with some other people that have built overland Tacomas for the scoop. Oh, I do have the stock wheels from my FJ and might apply them after a powder coat, I just have to see about the 17" rim. If anyone in AZ want's to see a great display of offorad/overland rigs and equipment, go to Amado next weekend as a visitor to the Overland Expo. I'll have my FJ there and would love to meet some TW members. Cris
Awesome! Well look at the OME 3" lift. It's the best bang for your buck lift.
I can't wait to see you develop this build...