Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

ETAV8R's Build

Old 03-30-2010, 11:52 PM   #1
4th MAW
ETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: MASS 6 El Toro
ETAV8R's Tacoma Gallery
ETAV8R's Build

Well I have finally completed my sleeping platform with a way to raise the tonneau while still being able to use it. I know most builds here are for suspension etc and not a whole lot dedicated to expo/overland stuff. I'm not a total expo person yet but it will be more what my Tacoma is used for.

What I set out to do was to build a sleeping platform somewhat like Bajataco. I had pretty grandiose plans with drawersliders and hinges. When it came down to putting it together I changed the plans to go with something much more simple. Glad I did. I can still use my tonneau, can haul stuff in the bed high as the lid or I can take it off and the sleeping platform out too if I need the truckbed completely unhindered.

I recently got some General Grabber AT/2s and they rub with stock size. I like the tires a lot and don't have the cash for coilovers right now. May go with Billy 5100s instead. Here are the pictures for the build of the platform. Enjoy.

Cut planks to support sleeping platform

Cab side of the platform

Tailgage side of the platform

Finished support boards in place in the bed

With cabside platform in place

Both platforms

Area under the platforms

Cabside upright supports

All four upright supports in place but not secured to bed rails. Didn't have the right length bolts for the rear supports. The cabside uprights are bolted to the bedrail system.

From the tailgate pre-mosquito netting. The rear uprights will be more straight after they are secured to the rail system. The supports actually fit just inside the rim for the Undercover if they diverge just slightly. Very stable even w/o the bolts to secure them.

With mosquito netting. Found this at REI and it works for what I want pretty well.

I will post some pics of the whole thing put away under the tonneau asap. Still planning on heading out to death valley this coming weekend.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:23 PM   #4
BANNED in 49 states...
AriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAriZonaD54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
AriZonaD54's Tacoma Gallery
LOLOL... for some reason Im dying over here as something about this picture just looks sketchy;

Old 11-08-2010, 09:24 PM   #5
4th MAW
ETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ETAV8R's Tacoma Gallery
The Gini (pronounced Jenny, a nickname for my mother) all cleaned up with the Flippac

Old 10-03-2011, 02:13 AM   #6
4th MAW

ETAV8R's Tacoma Gallery
So after a year of owning the Flippac I finally decided to do an interior build. I have seen Tacodocs in person and have studied Wasurfs pics too. My goal was to do my interior build mostly on the drivers side of the Tacoma and leave the full length of the bed open on one side in case I had to put something long in the bed of the truck.

The frame consists of 2x3s with 4" and 3" deck/wood screws to hold it all together. These screws are mostly countersunk and done with pilot holes drilled.

Most of the construction credit goes to my girlfriends father. I ended up helping him rather than the other way around. It is pretty much what he does for a living. Talk about having all the right tools. However it was a bit rushed as we are heading to Utah for five days soon. As a cost saving measure we utilized my old sleeping platform and luckily there was enough board to cover all the spaces necessary. Again this strayed from my original goal to copy Wasurf's design with birch plywood.

Since the carpet covered plywood was once used as a sleeping platform it was slightly bowed in places. It isn't that great of a defect to have caused a purchase for more plywood. This is where the small hasps come into play. These hold the edges of the top on the side piece from bowing upwards.

I have already loaded up the side area with what is usually in the back of my truck in one way or another. While loading up the back tonight after arriving home I took one of my yellow topped storage containers and tried it out on the passenger side near the cab. Now the fit is not perfect, it is pretty damn close and I'm happy with that. Prior to building this storage box I had 2-3 of these storage totes in the back of the truck.

My alternate want for building out the back was to provide a step/sleeping platform. Sometimes on trips I will have a 3rd person and don't want to make them sleep in a tent on the ground. The platform on the drivers side is wide enough to rack out. This will also be used in case of inclement weather. One person can sleep on the platform and the other in the space on the passenger side with the top closed. Obviously I don't have a rainfly yet.

After doing drawings and measurements with some cuts of wood coming up short I decided to do Excel diagrams to help facilitate the build. Sorry about the pics of the frame in the shade. Not my ideal documentation of the process.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:47 AM   #7
ILLINOISTACOMAGUY is on a distinguished road

Navy: CHIEF PETTY OFFICER
Name: Darryl
ILLINOISTACOMAGUY's Tacoma Gallery
Looks Good
Old 10-06-2011, 12:54 PM   #8
once flirted with danger, danger got clingy
magikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: greg
magikbean562's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd
Old 06-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #9
4th MAW

ETAV8R's Tacoma Gallery
Got some new shoes...General Grabber AT/2s in 235/85/16. Had to revert back to the stock rims for these. I didn't have the money to do a suspension upgrade for 285/55/16s so when with the 235s. I don't have my first tank MPG yet but did do a shakedown road trip up to Big Bear yesterday. No off-roading but overall I like this size better than my other set of Grabber AT/2s in 265/70/16. I don't have any rubbing like I did with the older set but I am certain that has to do with the rim/tire combination. The only drawback so far is the tracking on-road is different. The new ones seem to need more attention but it isn't anything problematic. Here are some pics:

Tire Tread Comparison: Old vs. New

Old 07-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #10
MagnecticgraySR5 is on a distinguished road

MagnecticgraySR5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETAV8R View Post
So after a year of owning the Flippac I finally decided to do an interior build. I have seen Tacodocs in person and have studied Wasurfs pics too. My goal was to do my interior build mostly on the drivers side of the Tacoma and leave the full length of the bed open on one side in case I had to put something long in the bed of the truck.

The frame consists of 2x3s with 4" and 3" deck/wood screws to hold it all together. These screws are mostly countersunk and done with pilot holes drilled.

Most of the construction credit goes to my girlfriends father. I ended up helping him rather than the other way around. It is pretty much what he does for a living. Talk about having all the right tools. However it was a bit rushed as we are heading to Utah for five days soon. As a cost saving measure we utilized my old sleeping platform and luckily there was enough board to cover all the spaces necessary. Again this strayed from my original goal to copy Wasurf's design with birch plywood.

Since the carpet covered plywood was once used as a sleeping platform it was slightly bowed in places. It isn't that great of a defect to have caused a purchase for more plywood. This is where the small hasps come into play. These hold the edges of the top on the side piece from bowing upwards.

I have already loaded up the side area with what is usually in the back of my truck in one way or another. While loading up the back tonight after arriving home I took one of my yellow topped storage containers and tried it out on the passenger side near the cab. Now the fit is not perfect, it is pretty damn close and I'm happy with that. Prior to building this storage box I had 2-3 of these storage totes in the back of the truck.

My alternate want for building out the back was to provide a step/sleeping platform. Sometimes on trips I will have a 3rd person and don't want to make them sleep in a tent on the ground. The platform on the drivers side is wide enough to rack out. This will also be used in case of inclement weather. One person can sleep on the platform and the other in the space on the passenger side with the top closed. Obviously I don't have a rainfly yet.

After doing drawings and measurements with some cuts of wood coming up short I decided to do Excel diagrams to help facilitate the build. Sorry about the pics of the frame in the shade. Not my ideal documentation of the process.

wicked never seen before...... also what kind of side steps are those???
Old 11-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #11
4th MAW

ETAV8R's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry haven't visited my thread lately. The sliders are from Demello Off-road.

Just made a holder for my Hi-Lift:

It cost about 15 bucks for all the stuff which can be had at Home Depot. The bolts to hang it are 3/8" and 3.5" long if I recall correctly.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:20 PM   #13
4th MAW

ETAV8R's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:22 PM   #14
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
You need to take this to Death Valley and SOON! lol
Old 03-12-2013, 07:44 AM   #15
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
I think I will just leave this here:

Old 03-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #16
4th MAW

ETAV8R's Tacoma Gallery

LOL
How thoughtful.
I need to get out to DV. Just over a month since I was there last yet I can feel the need for the outdoors-specifically Death Valley
Old 03-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #17
TacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jackson
TacomaJack09's Tacoma Gallery
How have I missed this build!! Great job on that interior, your rig looks awesome! Any expeditions trips planned for it?
Old 03-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #18
4th MAW

ETAV8R's Tacoma Gallery
I've done many trips. The majority are to Death Valley but others include White Rim Trail, San Juan Mtns in CO, Toroweap, North Rim GCNP, Wheeler Crest, Inyo explorations, and various others when the Gini was younger and cutting her teeth.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:54 AM   #19
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Love the Flipac and what you have done with it.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:08 AM   #20
4th MAW

ETAV8R's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you.
I really want to move up to a FWC Eagle. I should wait out the year though.