LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

Playschools "My First Build"! :or: adding a 12V outlet

Old 03-31-2010, 12:58 PM   #1
TOYWERX
HomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
HomerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Talking Playschools "My First Build"! :or: adding a 12V outlet

OK. Here we go...
I just said goodbye to my 99 Taco at the dealership and I took everything I could salvage off of it before I said a tearfull bittersweet goodbye.
One of the pieces I took was the accessory 12V outlet from the front of the center console. You see, it's nice the new Taco has 2 of them as well; but now with the full back seat I can & will cart the kids around.
My daughter has a Nintendo DS and along with it a car charger, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated rear 12V oulet to eliminate cords all over when we drive.
1. First I removed the back of the center console:

2. I found a socket from my set that was just the right size for a template & VERY CAREFULLY with a dremmel I cut out the hole for the new outlet. I pushed the new outlet through the hole and then flatened the connections:

3. the wiring was simple - I just spliced into the existing 12V outlet that housed the cigarette lighter (which I won't use anyway - I quit about 4 months ago!)
4. I then simply put the whole gig back together...

Here's another shot:

This whole thing took about an hour & a half. (only took that long because I was very careful cutting that hole) It cost me nothing but time because I recycled the pieces from my Junked 99 Taco! It's kind of neat that I still have a piece or two from that truck on my new one. I LOVED THAT TRUCK!
I hope this inspires someone out there... I know I've been inspired by some of you!
Thanks!!!!
Old 03-31-2010, 01:00 PM   #2
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
i need to do this..plus one in the elbow compartment.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:08 PM   #4
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Nice dude! Was it the frame rust buy back program?? Or just traded it in?
Old 03-31-2010, 01:19 PM   #6
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
nioce! az needs to start salting the roads haha
Old 03-31-2010, 01:52 PM   #8
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerTaco View Post
I was told by the guy that was doing it that he still sees at least 1-2 per day on this issue.... At least now I've got a new project!
I have the letter from Toyota in my glovebox, but I know I wouldn't fail. 150% KBB isn't half bad though. Hmmm maybe I should move then for the next winter
Old 03-31-2010, 01:59 PM   #10
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerTaco View Post
It's a great way to get a TOP DOLLAR down payment on your next Taco! Although it felt a bit shady...
Eh I'd either get a new Taco or a Rubicon.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #12
comajoe has a spectacular aura aboutcomajoe has a spectacular aura aboutcomajoe has a spectacular aura about
comajoe's Tacoma Gallery
diggin' up bones.....

i would like to do something in this line EXCEPT i do on occasion use the cig lighter(charging phone...etc) the other outlet in my 06 is used for my radar detector, will using 2 12v outlet off the same circuit be wise? upgrade the fuse? if i do the 12v rear outlet i foresee a plug in inverter.....thoughts?
Old 06-28-2012, 07:15 PM   #13
TOYWERX
HomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
HomerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by comajoe View Post
diggin' up bones.....

i would like to do something in this line EXCEPT i do on occasion use the cig lighter(charging phone...etc) the other outlet in my 06 is used for my radar detector, will using 2 12v outlet off the same circuit be wise? upgrade the fuse? if i do the 12v rear outlet i foresee a plug in inverter.....thoughts?
Holey shit this is like one of my first threads!

It will work off of this... Mine still does.
There are plenty of better write ups though.