Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

Installed Old Man Emu 884 coils and Sport shocks

Old 04-19-2010, 06:57 AM   #1
Outlaw has a spectacular aura aboutOutlaw has a spectacular aura aboutOutlaw has a spectacular aura about

Outlaw's Tacoma Gallery
Installed Old Man Emu 884 coils and Sport shocks

Installed Old Man Emu 884 coils and Sport shocks-ome014.jpgI tackled my Old Man Emu front lift this week with help from my neighbor.
it really was easy. The hardest part was getting the new shock inside the lower mount on the passenger side, and removing the sway bar was a little tricky.
Other than that, the removal and install was very easy.
initial impressions:
The ride is so much smoother, the handling is much more responsive, the body roll is gone when quick turning, and the lift height is about even with the rear. The caster is off now front wheels are a little \ / but Im installing an add a leaf and Bilstein 5100s in the rear this week and then will get it aligned. CV angles look fine, and have no vibes at all. Im super happy!

Installed Old Man Emu 884 coils and Sport shocks-ome001.jpg Installed Old Man Emu 884 coils and Sport shocks-ome006.jpg

Installed Old Man Emu 884 coils and Sport shocks-ome-003.jpg Installed Old Man Emu 884 coils and Sport shocks-ome004.jpg

Installed Old Man Emu 884 coils and Sport shocks-ome007.jpg Installed Old Man Emu 884 coils and Sport shocks-ome010.jpg

Installed Old Man Emu 884 coils and Sport shocks-ome011.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Installed Old Man Emu 884 coils and Sport shocks-ome013.jpg  
Old 04-20-2010, 01:36 PM   #3
rob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
rob1's Tacoma Gallery
Outlaw your truck looks great with the lift, thanks for posting pics of the originals up against the new springs, been wondering how much longer they look!! Nice steps, is that n-fab??
Old 04-20-2010, 01:38 PM   #4
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
topgun155's Tacoma Gallery
Nice ride. Post up the pics when you get the AAL
Old 04-20-2010, 01:53 PM   #5
Outlaw has a spectacular aura aboutOutlaw has a spectacular aura aboutOutlaw has a spectacular aura about

Outlaw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusher View Post
Looks good man...makes you feel good when you tackle something and can see immediate results. Congrads...
Thanks gusher! It feels great. My buddy wanted to take it apart and do it again because it was so easy. Hes never had the luxury of working on a new vehicle with bolts and nuts that unscrew like butter.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:57 PM   #6

Outlaw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1 View Post
Outlaw your truck looks great with the lift, thanks for posting pics of the originals up against the new springs, been wondering how much longer they look!! Nice steps, is that n-fab??
I was really surprised how much height I gained from the 884s. Cant wait to get the rest done. Yep those are Nfabs, but they sent me the wrong ones. i ordered direct because I had heard that the textured black steps they had were $100 off original price because they had made a ton of them for access cabs for the dealerships. but they sent me ones with the RBP logo on them they make. i paid like $269 plus shipping(normally $369, and RBP sells them for like $569. Sweet deal, but not crazy about the logo. oh well.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:07 AM   #8

Outlaw's Tacoma Gallery
have an issue now. Im gonna fix it though.

So I do have a problem.
When the shop tech mounted my new shocks, he had a hard time getting the top nut loose from the stock shock(have to use stock top plate mounts)
It had too much loctite from the factory so he had to heat up the nut to get it loose, which caused the rubber bushing to melt.
Now the bushing is destroyed after I drove the truck a little, and was making noise and the shock is moving around.
I contacted ARB and they said all i need to do is replace that bushing( stock part from Toyota) and that I dont need to take it apart or lift the truck.
All I need to do is loosen the nut, take off the old melted bushing, and replace it with a new one while the truck is under load, and tighten the nut back on.
I ordered the part and should be here in a day or 2.
Cant be driving the truck around though or might damage the top mount of the truck.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:15 AM   #9
Andy2010 is on a distinguished road
Name: Andy
Andy2010's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good! I am just wondering how much lift you got after the install, and did you use the top spacer or no?
Old 04-21-2010, 10:19 AM   #10
blackoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
blackoma's Tacoma Gallery
Looks sweet man! Just to clarify, are you using the top plate spacer as well, or just the 884 coils? I'm looking into doing the same setup, and was hoping to get a full 3" of lift.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:20 AM   #11
blackoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
blackoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2010 View Post
Looks good! I am just wondering how much lift you got after the install, and did you use the top spacer or no?

Woops! Didn't see that you just asked that question as well...
Old 04-21-2010, 11:26 AM   #13

Outlaw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2010 View Post
no top plate.
im thinking about 2.5 inches of lift.
Its not ridiculous, and the cv angle and all look fine or almost normal.
I wasnt getting it for the lift, but for the improved handling and ride.
For those that want a little lift and dont want a 3 inch spacer lift this is it!!!
it is damn near level with the back, and I have no added leafs or anything done to the rear. Still stock 2 leafs plus helper.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:29 AM   #14

Outlaw's Tacoma Gallery
Installed Old Man Emu 884 coils and Sport shocks-new-truck-011.jpgInstalled Old Man Emu 884 coils and Sport shocks-ome011.jpgInstalled Old Man Emu 884 coils and Sport shocks-cheap-grilll-006.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoma View Post
Looks sweet man! Just to clarify, are you using the top plate spacer as well, or just the 884 coils? I'm looking into doing the same setup, and was hoping to get a full 3" of lift.
hope these pictures help you guys that are wondering how much lift the 884's and Sport 9000 Shocks will give an access cab. It has settled a little. the picture in the middle is with the new shocks and coils and the outside pix are stock.
Thanks Blackoma! i dont have the top plates or trim packer for drivers side lean I would reccomend the trim packer to handle the lean and top plates to get you a little more lift closer to 3".
If you add the top plate spacers you will be right where you are wanting to be and shouldnt have any alignment issues causing you to buy new UCA's.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:36 PM   #16
toycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
toycar18's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good! What size tires do you have on your truck?
Old 05-05-2011, 11:57 AM   #18
willimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to behold

Name: Will
willimatic's Tacoma Gallery
How has the lift held up? Did you ever run into alignment issues, did you keep the stock UCAs?