Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

The Mk.ii Build

Old 04-21-2010, 11:34 AM   #1
Professional Amateur
JDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
JDMcompliant's Tacoma Gallery
Talking The Mk.ii Build

Hey guys...I've had my truck for 2 months exactly yesterday, so I figure I'd start a build thread to track my progress. I don't have that many mods, but I will sometime! So what better time to start than now?

Reason behind the name

In the Ironman series, Tony Stark dubs his improving Ironman armor with the Mk (mark) designation at each milestone. The first, the Mk.I, being a crude (though effective) design.

Here is my Mk.I:

- 1998 Toyota 4Runner (base)
- 3" Front Spacer lift
- 32" Mudstars
- 16" Eagle Alloys

She ran as well as I could have hoped, with no major hiccups. I would have kept her, but around July of last year, I got sideswiped by a semi carrying a bulldozer. The 4Runner, being the tank that it is, was damaged only at the front fender and front bumper, while the grill guard was ripped off the front. That and the fact that I didn't want to spend too much cash on a 2WD 4 banger set me off on my next endeavor.

Behold, the Mk.II:

Here she is, the day I got her, next to the 4Runner.
- 2010 Toyota Tacoma Sport
- Black Sand Pearl
- Double Cab Long Bed
- 4.0 V6
- 4x4

Here she is after a Karr Alarm install and TRD Catback Exhaust (no cosmetic difference.)

- Grillcraft installed
- Radiator painted black
- Horns relocated
- AFE Pro-Dry S filter installed
- Extang Trifold Tonneau installed

After a fresh wash and wax detail, TRD emblem added.

The new Limited Edition FJ Anthracite wheels, waiting to be installed.

- Toytec Ultimate Lift kit installed
- Front Coils set to 3 1/2"
- Light Racing Upper Control Arms
- FJ's mounted on Firestone Destination M/T's 285/75/16

- Installed eBay BHLM'd Headlights
- Put in Gray WeatherTech Digital Fit Floorliners (not shown)

- Installed Kenwood DNX9960
- Debadged
- Added gunmetal gray SockMonkey Decals

The Mk. II
- 2010 Toyota Tacoma Sport
- Black Sand Pearl
- Double Cab Long Bed
- 4.0 V6 4x4
- Karr Alarm
- Extang Trifold Tonneau
- WeatherTech Digital Fit Floorliners
- Grillcraft MX Upper Grill
- BHLM
- Debadged
- SockMonkey gunmetal badging set and TRD Bedside
- Kenwood DNX 9960 DVD Navigation System
- TRD Catback Exhaust
- AFE Pro-Dry S Air Filter
- Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit set at 3 1/2"
- Light Racing Upper Control Arms
- Limited Edition FJ Anthracite Wheels
- Firestone Destination M/T's 285/75/16

Future mods:
- Wet Okoles (Front and Rear)
- Mk. II emblems above Tacoma door emblems

Thanks for reading!!
Old 04-21-2010, 11:38 AM   #2
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
nice... great pictures too
Old 04-21-2010, 12:49 PM   #3
Professional Amateur
JDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks guys! Yeah, I do photography in my spare time, and my truck is naturally one of my favorite subjects.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:59 PM   #4
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMcompliant View Post
Thanks guys! Yeah, I do photography in my spare time, and my truck is naturally one of my favorite subjects.
what kind of photo equipment do you have?
Old 04-22-2010, 12:00 AM   #5
Professional Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by solus694 View Post
what kind of photo equipment do you have?
Lots of studio stuff (lighting and such) but these were all just taken with my camera - I have a Canon 5D Mk.ii and I shot this with a 24-70L f/2.8.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:06 AM   #7
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Nice truck!
Old 04-22-2010, 12:06 AM   #8
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
Truck looks sick man. Lovin the wheels, lift, tires-everything just ties nicely together.

I was about to start asking about the photo equipment too. How do you get the shadows to expose nicely? Everytime I have a multi-sided shot, the shadows are way underexposed, or the naturally lit side is overexposed. Did you use an off-camera flash here? What time of day was the pic taken
Old 04-22-2010, 12:13 AM   #9
Professional Amateur

Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunctnlretard View Post
Truck looks sick man. Lovin the wheels, lift, tires-everything just ties nicely together.

I was about to start asking about the photo equipment too. How do you get the shadows to expose nicely? Everytime I have a multi-sided shot, the shadows are way underexposed, or the naturally lit side is overexposed. Did you use an off-camera flash here? What time of day was the pic taken
Yeah, outdoor shots are hard, especially with a black truck. The camera tends to think the black is darker than it really is, so it overexposes the shot. I found myself drawing back the exposure to like -2/3 or -1. Generally I like taking my shots in a shadow, or on a cloudy day, so it gives a softer light, evening out the light and dark areas a bit.

I didn't use an off-camera flash on any of the photos -- the first one was shot on the roof of my work's parking structure at around 5PM. I parked the car under the shadow of a large sun shade. You can kind of see it in the reflection.

The second shot was taken around 10 in the morning, in the shadow of a building. You can see that the shadows underneath the car are much softer than the first picture, because the sun wasn't as bright at that time PLUS i was in the shadow of a building.

The third was taken in front of my house at around 11AM. There was no shadow to use, so I just played around with the exposure till I got a good shot.

Hope that helps! Good luck with the shooting
Old 04-22-2010, 12:16 AM   #10
timbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtimbo805 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

timbo805's Tacoma Gallery
you have a beutiful truck theres somthing about
youre truck that looks perfect congrats on youre
truck and build
-tim
Old 04-22-2010, 12:18 AM   #11
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
COol. Definitely helps. It was cloudy today and was thinking the same thing, "I wonder if the clouds can act like a diffuser and even out exposure?" And apparently it does. Thanks.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:49 AM   #13
inlinejohn has a spectacular aura aboutinlinejohn has a spectacular aura aboutinlinejohn has a spectacular aura about

Name: John
inlinejohn's Tacoma Gallery
looking amazing!!!
Old 05-06-2010, 02:15 PM   #14
TRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to behold

TRDsport253's Tacoma Gallery
fucking nice that's all i got to say.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:24 AM   #17
josep is on a distinguished road
josep's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up for sale

nice build, what did you pay for wheels?? and i would like to buy your stock grill, pm me Thannks, Joe
Old 05-22-2010, 11:10 AM   #18
silver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: COIL
silver07taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to silver07taco
Nice build!
Old 05-22-2010, 11:31 AM   #19
Screw your MPG's
jacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
jacob_wood's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jacob_wood
Excellent lookin' truck! The wheels really set off the color of the truck. Just a suggestion though when you do the BHLM you should trade your smoked headlights for a set that aren't. There are people (or there used to be) who would love to have those headlights. Can't wait to see how it all turns out man
Old 05-30-2010, 07:58 AM   #20
flacoloco is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
flacoloco's Tacoma Gallery
i have been lurking this site for a while, and after looking at several trucks
this one is def. in my top 10.

kinda also in a way why I want a black tacoma