Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

All Beef Taco’s 2010 Tacoma Build

Old 04-22-2010, 10:15 PM   #1
All Beef Taco is a name known to allAll Beef Taco is a name known to allAll Beef Taco is a name known to allAll Beef Taco is a name known to allAll Beef Taco is a name known to allAll Beef Taco is a name known to all

Name: Joe
All Beef Taco's Tacoma Gallery

2010 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
4.0L V6
Double Cab
Magnetic Grey metallic

Present build:

I first discovered Tacoma World last year, a few months before deciding to purchase my Tacoma. I lurked here for a long time before finally joining and haven’t looked back since. Tacoma World has been an endlessly vast resource for me, chock full of great information. Thanks to all the posters and folks that are willing to help out when someone has a question… Tacoma World is the best!
At first I was really torn between the Tacoma and the FJ Cruiser but ultimately chose the Tacoma for its outstanding reputation, its roominess and its improved carrying capacity for all of the outdoor activities (and equipment) I enjoy. I’m an FFL (gun dealer/gunsmith) and an avid shooter, so the Tacoma made more sense in terms of being able to haul all of my gear… not to mention the convenience of four real doors when I’m driving with the family. It gets me where I need to go, and I’ve always wanted a vehicle that could take me wherever I wanted to go off road. As we all know, the Tacoma has so much potential in this arena as well, even without modifications. My Tacoma is my daily driver, but it sees regular use on off road trips/trail runs, hunting/camping/outdoor/expedition outings, etc. I had always looked at the Tacoma as a better way to get me to destinations that happened to be off road. I didn’t realize how quickly I’d be swept into the world of off roading just to off road… now I’m totally hooked!

I have to thank some of the folks I’ve drawn inspiration (and help) from so far, including but not limited to: silverback07, timmer, Neubs and TacoDoc (from Expedition Portal). Thanks for answering my questions and endless PMs! I’ve always found these build threads to be especially helpful in guiding my own decisions and illustrating the possibilities, so I thought I’d give my own build thread a try. Here’s a summary of my build so far….

CURRENT MODS/ACCESSORIES:
Weathertech floor liners
Undercover tonneau
DIY Hi-Lift bed mount
Demello sliders
ARB bumper
ARB fog lamps
Warn M8000 w/ Amsteel Blue
Billet 4x4 aluminum Hawse fairlead
Rear leaf TSB
BFG MT KM2's (LT265/75/R16)
IPF 968 lamps
Toytec adjustable coil overs
Fogs on anytime mod
Toytec 1.5" AAL
Assorted recovery gear
Midland 75-822
All Beef Taco's very own rubber bumper pads mod
Rear Bilstein 5100's
Safari Snorkel SS135HFD
Tacoma4x4.com illuminated 4x4 switch

FUTURE MODS/ACCESSORIES:
BudBuilt skids
Amateur radio rig (I’m KX7G)
Roof top tent of some kind for camping trips
Pull Pal
If I find it necessary... better shocks all-around (Icon, Fox, King, etc...) and Dakar leaf springs

Here she was on day 2, bone stock….

First mod was painting the wheels black on day 3. Tacoma World’s first influence, and thanks to the handy write-ups I found here:

Next came my DIY Hi-Lift bed mount:

A few pics from her first off road trips:

Next came my Demello sliders. I got these through one of the handy group buys here on the forum:

After wheeling more and more (and often alone), I decided to go for an ARB bumper and winch. I got everything just in time for my birthday. The winch has literally saved my a$$ 3 times already since it was installed:

I started with a Smittybilt XRC-8, which seemed like a great deal with the synthetic rope and aluminum fairlead. Unfortunately it was an absolute POS (though their customer service was great) and I ultimately returned it for a Warn M8000. I installed an offset aluminum fairlead from Billet 4x4 along with 80’ of Amsteel Blue. I also dropped my Boulder Toyota license plate frames (did I mention how much I hate them???) and added these. “TOO CLOSE FOR MISSLES – SWITCHING TO GUNS” Gotta love it!

Shortly after the winch/bumper install, I got my rear leaf TSB done. Consequently my front end was sagging pretty low after adding the bumper and winch, so it was time to upgrade. I decided to go with ToyTec’s adjustable coil overs. I wasn’t sure if I wanted to raise the rear any more after the TSB, but thought I might eventually, so the adjustability and ease of installation seemed like a good fit for me. They’re at a decent price and while I’d love to go to Icons in the future, these will do for now. My wallet is straining as it is! I also appreciated the lifetime warranty and close proximity of ToyTec, as I live very close to them. Here’s a pic of the coil overs next to the OEM Bilsteins:

I decided to go with some better tires for trail use. I went with BFG Mud Terrain KM2’s on Bill Burke’s recommendation and the tons of good things I’ve heard here and everywhere else. I went up to 265/75/16s (still on the stock TRD alloys) because I wanted to ensure maximum articulation without any further mods… at least for now.

I’ve most recently added ToyTec’s TSB AAL’s, and raised the front again to compensate. I’d love to go to some Icons and Dakars in the future but this setup is working great for me, for now. Here are some pics from the trails:

My wallet is hurting but I hope to do more in the future....
Old 04-22-2010, 10:43 PM   #2
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Beefed Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Nice truck man! Sweet transformation...and scenery. (nice username too)
Old 04-23-2010, 11:23 AM   #3
keithlandrum is on a distinguished road
Name: Keith
keithlandrum's Tacoma Gallery
nice truck looks good
Old 05-06-2010, 08:25 PM   #5
06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kenney
06rubi's Tacoma Gallery
Nice truck! I live in CO too, if you want to go wheelin some time I'd be happy to go.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:37 PM   #7
All Beef Taco is a name known to allAll Beef Taco is a name known to allAll Beef Taco is a name known to allAll Beef Taco is a name known to allAll Beef Taco is a name known to allAll Beef Taco is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06rubi View Post
Nice truck! I live in CO too, if you want to go wheelin some time I'd be happy to go.
Are you down in Pueblo? I usually stick to the front range areas but I'll probably try heading south sometime now that everything is thawing out.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:03 PM   #8
06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kenney
06rubi's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, Pueblo it is. I wheel pretty much anywhere. If it is more than a 3 hour drive I'll head out on Saturday and camp at or by the trail head. I can only wheel on Sundays because I work on Saturday mornings. I am planning on getting a small group together on June 6th and running Medano Pass. Call forest service and they said it should be open by then. It is a neat trail that ends up at the Great Sand Dunes. Not very difficult but you do have to air down to at least 15 cuz the trail turns to sand. There is also. 7 or so water crossing that can get up to 2 feet deep. PM me if your interested, that way we don't clutter up your build thread.
Kenney
Old 05-08-2010, 02:21 PM   #11

Beefy-- I love 'em. They come very highly recommended from folks who know a good off road tire (*cough* Bill Burke), and as far as trail performance goes, they're outstanding. I have heard they're not too good on ice but I have chains and I always use them in ice anyway. I've been in some hairy situations where I would have put them on no matter what tire I'm running... better to be safe!

You can definitely hear them on the road, and I can feel them rumbling along at slower speeds, but that's to be expected with tread this deep and knobby. You get used to it, and at highway speeds it seems less noticeable. I did take a big hit in MPG after switching to them from the stock Rugged Trails, but I'm very happy with them overall for the off road performance gains. If the MPG and ice become an issue, next time I might try the BFG All Terrains just depending on how long these last, but I had the opportunity to try the MT's with the truck being new so I just jumped on it. I'm not regretting it!
Old 07-14-2010, 12:23 PM   #12

After 2+ months of waiting for my back order to come through, my rear 5100's finally arrived yesterday. Pics of the install to follow....

On the same note, I was playing around with them and got somewhat confused by the assorted hardware that came with the shocks. Specifically, there are three different washers and two bushings that must be properly installed to mount the shocks. The washers are a little different from those included with the OEM TRD Bilsteins. No instructions were included and it does matter how they're installed. A call to Bilstein helped resolved this, so I thought I'd share what I learned here in case anyone else ever wonders.

Here are some pics... as you can see, there are three unique washers. A thick stainless one with a groove along the radius of the hole, a thin stainless one with a lip, and a black washer.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:44 PM   #13
silver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: COIL
silver07taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to silver07taco
Nice build!
Old 08-01-2010, 07:20 PM   #14
Grappler is on a distinguished road
Grappler's Tacoma Gallery
Nice Truck

I like the truck and all the stuff you did to it already. Thanks for posting pics along the way.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:49 PM   #15

Thanks guys! I'm so lazy, I have a lot more pics to post along with installation of the rear 5100's still to come... I'll get 'em up eventually!
Old 08-01-2010, 09:14 PM   #16
Banned
jjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jesse
jjw1's Tacoma Gallery
nice ass build...i really like the color...btw u forgot the bed cover in ur build...just a lil heads up
Old 08-03-2010, 01:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredstud View Post
nice ass build...i really like the color...btw u forgot the bed cover in ur build...just a lil heads up
Thanks! FYI the tonneau is actually in my list of mods... it's an Undercover
Old 09-22-2010, 08:55 AM   #18
tacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud of

Name: carlitos
tacomadude18's Tacoma Gallery
sick!!!

nice truck man, what do you think would be better a six inch lift or 3?
Old 09-22-2010, 02:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomadude18 View Post
nice truck man, what do you think would be better a six inch lift or 3?
Thanks! As for the lifts... check out this thread if you haven't already: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...uide-read.html

If your focus is offroad performance, my understanding is that you should only lift as high as you need to run the tires you want to use. Since 265/75/16's allow the most travel without further modification in my setup (and I've been advised both here and elsewhere that 285's are perhaps more for looks than offroad performance), I went with a 3" lift for my current setup. Hope that helps!
Old 10-07-2010, 02:13 PM   #20
TacoRado is on a distinguished road
TacoRado's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, Crazy. Just found this forum and am in the middle of modding my 2011 magnetic grey metallic DC taco with almost every single mod you have. Sweet to see what my truck is gonna look like when I'm finished.

So I was thinking about having my wheels and skid plate powder coated. You said you painted yours? whats the best way to go about that?

Thanks!