Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

Kinetik873's Overland buildup..."Project Kristen"

Old 05-11-2010, 05:08 PM   #1
kinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GM1(sw/exw), USS Tortuga 01-04, NSWDG 04-09.
Name: Josh
kinetik873's Tacoma Gallery
Kinetik873's Overland buildup..."Project Kristen"

Ladies and Gents,
After almost two years of drooling over some very nice vehicles here, its high time I posted up. To start, I installed my Avid bolt on sliders today, install took about 25 minutes by myself. Easy as can be, and they look great IMO. Massive rep to Brandon at Avid for the updates and phenominal customer care. I hit them with two coats of rustoleum auto primer followed by several coats of hammered black.
Attached Thumbnails
Kinetik873's Overland buildup..."Project Kristen"-dsci1212.jpg   Kinetik873's Overland buildup..."Project Kristen"-dsci1214.jpg   Kinetik873's Overland buildup..."Project Kristen"-dsci1211.jpg   Kinetik873's Overland buildup..."Project Kristen"-dsci1217.jpg  
Old 05-11-2010, 05:14 PM   #2
kinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Part II

My ARB bumper, and OME 3" lift w/886's and TC UCA's are going on next week sometime. I've got to say thanks to Silverback, D54, and Barlowrs for the inspiration.
Future setup is as follows:
Base: 2008 Toyota Tacoma TRD OffRoad
Suspension:
OME 3” suspension lift
886 coils
Rear AAL
TC UCA’s
Stainless steel brake lines
Armor:
ARB front bumper, Fog lights
CBI/Rocktek rear plate bumper
Avid Offroad sliders
Bud-built skid plates
Wheels/tires
285/65/16 BFG AT k/o (interim will be 35" interco-thornbirds)
FJ Anthracite wheels 16”
Electronics
Pioneer avic 4200
Spare 12v in console
120v outlet mod.
Garmin 76csx GPS w/60” remote antenna
Extras
SOCKMONKEY DECALS
ARB work light
Garmin Etrex Vista
*ham radio
MIDLAND 75-822 40 Channel 2 Way Radio
Firestick 48" antenna w/10" fire ring coax
Dual Battery setup
Recovery and storage
UWS Chest box
ARB Recovery Kit
Warn M8000 winch
48” High lift jack Tire puncture kit
On-board air compressor w/ 2.5 gal tank
Old 05-11-2010, 06:32 PM   #4

What would you recommend for a jack then?
Old 05-11-2010, 07:01 PM   #5
barlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
barlowrs's Tacoma Gallery
Nice start there and good looking plans! Yeah Jasonslawncare has a good point. I have never seen sliders that bolt to the body like that. I would be very nervous about that, though I have no personal experience to say one way or another on them.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:07 PM   #6
Retrofit Club!
lookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
lookylookitzadam's Tacoma Gallery
Plans look awesome and I await the build. I love looking at what people do to their trucks. But yea, that scares me too that the sliders mount to the body. Those are the existing holes from the running board mounting locations. Do you have some photos of them in action? I was looking at getting some bolt ons.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:17 PM   #7

I just put them on today. I've got an idea in mind for highlift points on the frame fore and aft of the sliders, I need to make a call or two and gen up a drawing.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:20 PM   #8
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
I would imagine that those sliders are intended to be more like steps, being mounted to the body. I've never heard of sliders being mounted to the body before so I have no idea what to expect, but I would imagine you will badly damage the body of your truck if you put significant weight on those sliders.

Do you have pictures of the garmin antenna set up?
Old 05-11-2010, 07:26 PM   #9

Right now the antenna isn't hard mounted. It's a 6' remote antenna that I run on the roof. I'll post up tomorrow for you.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pd3 View Post
Though I like the direction you're going with the build I too would be some what surprised if you sliders didn't rip straight from the body at the first time they were put to use. Anyway, quick question where are the mounting legs and plates that should have come with these Avid sliders, I think you should give them a call and ask this same question.
The more I think about it the more I like the idea of frame mounted sliders, I'll run these for now and may see if avid can mod them for me later on.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:01 PM   #11
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Jason'sLawnCare's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinetik873 View Post
I just put them on today. I've got an idea in mind for highlift points on the frame fore and aft of the sliders, I need to make a call or two and gen up a drawing.
You could get the strap hi lift has for the wheels and jack off the wheels

http://www.hi-lift.com/accessories/lift-mate.html
Old 05-17-2010, 02:15 PM   #12

hey everyone! Come see how good I look!!

Fellas,
This project is comin g along nicely in stages. Today, with help from a good friend, I mounted my ARB bumper sans winch and lights. (have yet to buy) Overall install took roughly 2.5 hours, was pretty easy and relatively pain free. Here are some pics, enjoy. My OME 3" lift goes on on thursday, and my BFG's AT/KOs are on the way. Handling on a stock O/R suspension isnt hardly noticeable with the added weight. There is plenty more to come. Once again, I have to say thanks to all the guys that gave me ideas and input so far. You are all welcome up here anytime and the first round is on me.
Cheers,
Josh
Attached Thumbnails
Kinetik873's Overland buildup..."Project Kristen"-dsci1218.jpg   Kinetik873's Overland buildup..."Project Kristen"-dsci1219.jpg   Kinetik873's Overland buildup..."Project Kristen"-dsci1220.jpg   Kinetik873's Overland buildup..."Project Kristen"-dsci1221.jpg   Kinetik873's Overland buildup..."Project Kristen"-dsci1227.jpg  

Old 05-17-2010, 02:36 PM   #13

Good deal sean, thanks. I'm gong to owe you a keg before this is over. My buddy who's helping me with the installs is a metal fabricator for the aircraft industry, he reasearching other sliders and is pretty sure that he can mod mine to be frame mounted and welded. I'm on the fence about it, but may give it a go if the drawings look solid.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:21 PM   #15
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great Kinetik!!! Keep up the good work!!
Old 05-18-2010, 07:52 AM   #16
barlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Looking good! Yes as silverback said, it will be pretty easy to make legs adn mounting brackets, esp if you weld them on (if you want bold on, you have to make brakets that locate near holes). BUt again, as Silverback said, dont do anything smaller/weaker than HREW 1.75x.120. Anything less than that and they will probably just crumple and do nothing in terms of protection.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:27 PM   #17

I'm a damn moron!

Alright,
I went to install the rear protion of my OME lift today and found I only had 2 bushing for the rear....FML. Luckily my other two should be here tomorrow. Installing the right side was fairly easy, left side is disassembled and ready to go minus the bushings on the leaf spring. Can any of you guys guesstimate how long the front should take along with installing TC UCA's? Thanks.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:30 PM   #18

It also takes some "finess" to get the Lower control arm DOWN far enough to fit the longer OME shocks in place. it can be kind of tricky, but once you get one, you will have the method down and the other will be faster
Old 05-20-2010, 07:07 PM   #19
jrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jrobson's Tacoma Gallery
Love those sliders. Your dog could have been my ole boy Rockys' twin.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:11 AM   #20

Back from LA and the stealership only gave me 1 bushing! The weekend wasn't a total loss though, I did manage to get my new decals on from SockMonkey! Massive rep to Greg, they turned out better than I expected.
Attached Thumbnails
Kinetik873's Overland buildup..."Project Kristen"-002.jpg   Kinetik873's Overland buildup..."Project Kristen"-001.jpg   Kinetik873's Overland buildup..."Project Kristen"-004.jpg