Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

Bobby's Build

Old 05-18-2010, 09:40 PM   #1
Tearmytaco
rzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
rzimm001's Tacoma Gallery
Post Bobby's Build

I should have started this post a long time ago, but better late than never I guess. This will be a work in progress for me as I venture into the crazy world of fabrication. This week I've decided to make the jump from using completely bolt on parts i.e. (my icon lift), to actually cutting and welding on my baby..

With the help of Dellosa89 and some other friends, I will install a DMZ bed cage and 2.5" x 14 remote resi shocks. This setup will be more of an extended mid travel as I call it. The leaf spring is the stock Toyota leaf pack with an Icon 3-leaf add a leaf (1.5" lift). The shocks are FOA brand with upgraded Viton seals and billet caps.

What will be cool about this build is that the bed cage and shocks will be completely removeable for utility purposes. Not only is everything removeable to gain full bed space, but the stock suspension mounts still remain in place and the factory toyota shocks can be replaced for a plush ride. Anyhow here are some of the pics as we installed this DMZ cage.

Before the build

Removing the bed. What a bitch! Took us forever to figure out how to remove the gas filler. Finally we figured it out by accident

The cutting begins! We removed the old sleeves off the cage so that new interlocking tube clamps could be installed.

Broke the dam cutting blade. DOM steel is tought stuff

Had to resort to old school methods. Atleast it gave clean cuts...

Interlocking tube clamps. Allows the cage to be removed for more bed space and to paint or service the bed cage.

Dellosa89 tack welding to the frame. Thanks again bro! Couldn't have done it without you.

Test fitting the shocks. Only thing in the way was the brake lines bracket on the chassis and an abs wire mounting bracket on the axle.

And this is as far as we could get in seven hours.. Sad but true. Mounting a cage is a fair chunk of work, as we found out.

The remainder of the welding and getting the shocks mounted will hopefully be completed tomorrow. Come Saturday... Ocotillo! We'll see how this extended mid travel rear end performs. Stay tuned
Old 05-18-2010, 09:41 PM   #2
Prez of @battleborntacomas and ASSHOLE!
MOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMOT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Daniel
MOT's Tacoma Gallery
Nice But fall on the name of it! Its Build! haha! Going to be sweet!
Old 05-18-2010, 09:49 PM   #3
Screw your MPG's
jacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
jacob_wood's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jacob_wood

Where exactly did you pick these items up at, and how much? You can PM me about this. Can't wait to see this puppy fully built and in action!
Old 05-18-2010, 09:52 PM   #4
Love peace and Taco Grease
Dellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Dellosa89's Tacoma Gallery
That was a crap load of work but it will be so worth it, this Saturday is going to be sick.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:54 PM   #6
Dellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzimm001 View Post
I know... my bad. I tried correcting the spelling but it won't change the title. Any idea how to change it?
I think only a Mod can fix it.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:55 PM   #7
vv I think it's growing
mreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mreimann's Tacoma Gallery
cool concept, it gives a whole new meaning to the term "dual shocks"
Old 05-18-2010, 10:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Hell yeah! We'll get tons of pics and some videos
For sure man, i was able to get off work also so me and mike can get out there earlier.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:19 PM   #13

Quote:
I guess you'll have to get the party started without me. I have my TEAS test from 830am to 1130am. Lame...
Oh well just own the test and play after the test.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:43 PM   #14
MarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: KC-130J Loadmaster
MarineTacoDriver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murdered_Out_Taco View Post
Nice But fall on the name of it! Its Build! haha! Going to be sweet!
fail on calling him out on the fail

I like the removable cage idea, haven't seen that before
Old 05-19-2010, 12:27 AM   #15
Tearmytaco
rzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineTacoDriver View Post
fail on calling him out on the fail

I like the removable cage idea, haven't seen that before
Thanks, the reason I went that route is because I need my truck everyday as a daily driver. Having a cage and offroad shocks seemed too extreme for my everyday commute. So I looked into bolt on cages and couldn't find anything for our trucks. Well... not entirely true. Giant motorsports makes a bolt on bed cage but you would have to tear off all the stock suspension mounts. I wasn't digging that idea so I came up with this plan. I hope it comes together. Should be worth the effort when it is finished.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:29 AM   #16
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Siiiiiiiiiick
Old 05-19-2010, 12:32 AM   #17
James3492 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames3492 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames3492 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames3492 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames3492 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames3492 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames3492 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames3492 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames3492 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames3492 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames3492 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
James3492's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to James3492 Send a message via Skype™ to James3492
You know if you can put a quad on top of that frame or would it look stupid. because i was thinking about getting long travel then putting my quad on the back and strapping it down. for the desert.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:40 AM   #19
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by James3492 View Post
You know if you can put a quad on top of that frame or would it look stupid. because i was thinking about getting long travel then putting my quad on the back and strapping it down. for the desert.
So you want to LT your truck so you can jump it with a quad strapped to your frame?

Just to clarify...
Old 05-19-2010, 12:51 AM   #20
Tearmytaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoXdoer View Post
so ur gonna run 4 shocks in the rear correct???

Hell yeah it'll be bad ass! lol No no no... Big shocks for dezert and little shocks for the street only. The toyota shocks would limit the travel not to mention grenade trying to hit whoops. The idea was to remove the cage and shocks when I'm not offroading and replace the factory shocks.