Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

AeroCooper's Build

Old 06-01-2010, 12:14 PM   #1
Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)
AeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shed
AeroCooper's Tacoma Gallery
AeroCooper's Build

2010 Pyrite SR5 4x4

Sadly, I got sideswiped by a flatbed truck, but the I made the most of a bad situation and upgraded to a 2013 MGM Sport!

I'll leave this thread here, but my new one is here.

How it was before the accident

And how we got here....

First things added were a USASPEC PA15-TOY iPod interface (installed day one, but replaced later...see below), then came Westin nerf bars, in-channel rain guards, Weather Tech floor mats, and RockyMounts bike rail racks.

Next up, Lamin-X yellow fog light covers, but the damn things wouldn't stay on very well, the edges kept coming up.

Next came the Kamikaze Wild Turkey mod, seconds to install, a week and $500 deductible to uninstall.

Moving on, got me some Moto Metal 951's
Now we're getting somewhere...but tires will have to wait 'til these wear out.

Ditched the Lamin-X and got some real fog lights, these are still yellow, but a bit more amber, which I like better.

Next, I had SockMonkey make me a special yellow edition of the Trailiens bedside decal. When they arrived, I was a bit surprised at how BIG they were. I thought they might overwhelm the truck if I put them in the usual spot, so I got a little crazy and put them on the rear door instead. EDIT: The Trailiens were pretty cool, but after a year I decided to try something new (details further down).

6/20/10 - Added an Alpine CDA-117 along with the steering wheel interface SWI-JACK.
This stereo is freakin' awesome!! I knew I was going to like it, but I LOVE it!!

I'm also very happy with the Scosche dash kit. It matches the dash around it perfectly, although that doesn't show very well in the pics. You can tell though, by looking at the hazard button color compared to the dash kit. It also doesn't have that ugly (IMO) texture that the original had.
And it is very solid. I've read some complaints about them being flimsy, but once I figured out exactly the right way to install it, is was perfect.

The iPod really cranks now, not like my experience with the PA15-TOY, plus the songs/artists that are too long to display will scroll so that you see the entire text.

6/19/10 - Color matched grille

Update - 7/17/10: D-Ring mod finally completed!!

Update - 7/25/10: Muth heated signal mirrors and Highlander switch....only took 3 months of studying/procrastinating...

12/4/10: Remote Starter installed

2/12/2011: Completed the "Disable A/C Linked Defrost" mod!! Now my windshield will finally be free of ice during those cold New England ice/snow storms.

5/11 - Going for a new look, Plasti-dipped the rear bumper and put on Sockmonkey retro decals. I'll have better pics of the bumper and additional decals when it stops raining.

Better pic of the Plasti-dipped bumper, and no I'm NOT short and fat!!

5/11 - 6/11 More of the new Sockmonkey badges and Hankook Dynapro ATm tires:

8/18/11 Finally leveled!! Got the rear TSB and Front 5100s set at 1.75"

Old 06-01-2010, 12:18 PM   #2
Never seen Forest Gump
tim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
tim920's Tacoma Gallery
Cool. So what exactly did you do with the fogs? Are the Lamin-X sticker still on there or did you get a yellow plastic cover (is there such a thing for Tacomas?)?
Old 06-01-2010, 12:19 PM   #3
AeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I ditched the Lamin-x plastic covers, sold the original fog lights, and bought a complete set of yellow fogs off eBay. They are a direct replacement for our's, just plug and play.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
Never seen Forest Gump
tim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
tim920's Tacoma Gallery
Are these it?

Too pricey for me. Looks good though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YELLO...Q5fAccessories

EDIT: Well if you sold the originals....the difference probably isn't too bad.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:26 PM   #5
Yes, those are the ones. I actually thought the price was not too bad, since they look so good and were direct replacement parts. And, compared to the original fog light prices, and compared to some of the other mod prices I could live with it. I guess it's all personal opinion though.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:27 AM   #6
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Hey, welcome to another Vermonter!
Your truck is looking great!
I really like where you put the Sockmonkey Trailens Decal.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:23 AM   #7
sockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
sockmonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon's Mom View Post
Hey, welcome to another Vermonter!
Your truck is looking great!
I really like where you put the Sockmonkey Trailens Decal.
x2, nice!
Old 06-09-2010, 06:31 AM   #8
Thanks! Yeah, the more I look at it, I'm really loving how it is shaping up.
The yellow really stands out and compliments the Pyrite and the black, just like I was hoping it would.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:38 PM   #9
JoeyTacoma has a spectacular aura aboutJoeyTacoma has a spectacular aura aboutJoeyTacoma has a spectacular aura about

JoeyTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Nice work so far, I like... still thinking about that foglight mod
Old 06-18-2010, 01:47 PM   #11
BLUETACOMA10 is on a distinguished road

Army: 287Th Sustainment BDE
BLUETACOMA10's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good man, IMO the aliens sticker would look real nice towards the back on the bed of the truck. Like the wheels, I may get those for mine..
Old 06-18-2010, 05:50 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCFirefighter View Post
Sell me on the Alpine. I see a lot of y'all that have these, and I want to ditch my stock setup. Not sure if I want to fill it up with a double-din sized unit or not (navi not needed).
All that I can say, that I haven't already, is that I really love it. The sound is so much better, even with the stock speakers. And the big button mimics the iPod controls, so it is fun and easy to search by album, artist, playlist or song. I'm a lot happier with it than I even expected to be, and I can't wait to turn it on every time I get in the truck.

It may not be for everyone, but, like you, I had no desire for navigation or a dvd player, so for me it really fit the bill for what I was looking for.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:42 PM   #13
O9Taco is on a distinguished road

Army:
Name: Mike
O9Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Was wondering where you purchased your switch for the heated mirrors for your dash?
Old 10-30-2010, 05:53 AM   #14
^^ I got the switch from toyotapartszone.com
Part #: 84871-48030
$57.74

They are expensive because the timer circuitry is built into the switch.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:44 AM   #15
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
How hard was it to put in the heated mirrors?
I really would like this mod only because I want to be able to see during the winter when we tow
Thank in advance ...judy
Old 10-30-2010, 07:04 AM   #16
Artificial Intelligence beats natural stupidity
easyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
easyeatlanta's Tacoma Gallery
what type of kayaks in the back the blue one looks like my wilderness systems
Old 10-30-2010, 04:49 PM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvTEA View Post
Nice looking truck! What else do you have planned for it?

I really like the Muth mirrors! Were they easy to install? I wonder if we could get a group buy of those set up to get TW a discount.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon's Mom View Post
How hard was it to put in the heated mirrors?
I really would like this mod only because I want to be able to see during the winter when we tow
Thank in advance ...judy
The mirrors were not that hard, mostly a lot of studying to make sure I got the wiring all figured out before I started in on it. There are some great threads and helpful people here that made the job a lot easier. It did take me a good part of the day though, but I was not rushing it.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:53 PM   #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyeatlanta View Post
what type of kayaks in the back the blue one looks like my wilderness systems
Good eye...the blue one is the one I use, and it is indeed a Wilderness Pungo 100. The yellow one is a cheaper model, but I can't think of the manufacturer at the moment.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:08 PM   #20
Artificial Intelligence beats natural stupidity
easyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
easyeatlanta's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroCooper View Post
Good eye...the blue one is the one I use, and it is indeed a Wilderness Pungo 100. The yellow one is a cheaper model, but I can't think of the manufacturer at the moment.
yeah I love the pungo 100 got the same model and mounted a rod holder