Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 2nd Gen. Builds

Notices

Mjohn617 build

Old 06-14-2010, 10:43 AM   #1
mjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: National Strike Force
mjohn617's Tacoma Gallery
Mjohn617's build

Here is the start of my build, I bought the truck back in February (2010) after looking forever for a Tacoma with low miles...kind of a challenge! I found it with 60K and a manual trans, the two main options I wanted besides TRD. I have done 100% of the work myself and all future mods will also be done myself minus alignments and tire replacement.

This is ultimately what I would like my setup to consist of. I am an overland type, I do have some bling on the truck, but my reasoning for most anything is functionality. My side steps are designer and have no purpose being off road...BUT they are bolt on and my wife needs them, shes a 5'2" Japanese Woman. When it's time for the big trip, the sliders go in place...best of both worlds.

Chassis

2005 Double cab
Shortbed
TRD Sport
6 speed manual

Suspension
Toytec ULK
OME Dakar leafs
Light Racing UCA's

Wheels
16" American Racing ATX Artillery Wheels
Nitto 285/70/16 Trail Grapplers

Exhaust
Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers
Doug Thorley "Pipe Bomb" Y-pipe
TRD Cat Back Exhaust
Classic Chambered 26" Powerstick (Against the Grain)

Intake
K&N Drop in filters

Clutch
Competition Clutch Stage 2 Carbon Kevlar Clutch
Competition Clutch Lightened Flywheel (18lbs)
Manual Transmission Sleeve Kit (TSK)

Brakes
EBC GreenStuff Brake Pads 6000 series
Centric Rotors
Stainless Steel extended brake lines

Mods
B/O emblems
LED Conversion inside/outside
Sway bar removed

Other

Weathertech floormats
Rocky Mount Clutch SD bike mount - these are great for a removable bike mounting solution
RollingBigPower Side Steps

Future financial dents

Double Locker's
4.56 re-gear
HID's
ARB Bumpers Front/Rear
Winch
OBA
Pioneer Z120BT W/components
Rooftop Tent(w/Bed cage)
Custom swing gate /fuel/water/spare tire
Best top
Snorkel

Places Visited

Death Valley National park: (Thank you again Crom)
Skidoo Ghost Town
Ballarat Ghost Town
Newman Cabin
Mengal Pass
Stella's Cabin
Badwater
Stovepipe Wells
Titus Canyon
Ubehebe Crater
Eureka Dunes
Racetrack La Playa
Lippincott Pass

Other Spots

Hite Cove
Lake Tahoe Back Country
Idaho Back county (Classified)
Milsap Bar
Yosemite National Park
Sequoia National Park
Pinnacles National Monument

DEATH VALLEY 2011

His & Hers

I actually got the thing stuck maybe the first or second day. Didn't even have a chance, my buddy's Tundra pulled me out, I'm still hearing about it today.

The side steps were a little pricey and have no purpose on the trails, but they look freakin sweet!

Lifted it with Toytec ULK and Dakar leafs-I had the money to buy the UCA's and didn't! Big mistake, the truck drives great on the suspension side but it wonders all over the road. if in doubt, buy the UCA's! I will now have to purchase, install and go back to the shop for an alignment...$$$.

Tire/Wheel combo

5/20/2011 - Clutch/Flywheel/Brakes/Headers/Exhaust install - this was a long week! I broke four exhaust bolts right off the bat. I had been looking at custom exhaust for a while, I guess this was the time to do it.

The clutch was about what I expected for 75,000 miles. It started to shutter and slip about 2k miles prior...after Death Valley I figured I was riding on a little bit more than nothing. I think some people might argue that this is not terribly bad, but factoring in the over sized tires, added weight from extended trips and future off road passes to come, I could see this burning up pretty fast.

I decided to go with a lightened flywheel, actually the clutch package from URD. The stock flywheel had some tell tales of hot spots, I'm pretty sure I know from when.

Update 5/25/2011 - Just recieved my Headers Y-pipe and TRD exhaust. This should sound pretty good.

I ended up breaking many more bolts than expected. I was expecting some damage removing my exhaust, but I really did on this job! There had been a lot of tack welds on the bolts to prevent modification, I tried as best I could to break the slag and other metal off but it was just applied too hot...it wouldn't break. The saws-all came out after some grinder troubles...didn't look back.

I forgot to take a picture of the Doug Thorley pipe bomb, here is the digital rendering of it. Above was the stock piece being replaced.

One of the classic problems you run into when putting on headers and straight pipe is the horrible rasp. The 6 cylinder does not help either! I usually go with a secondary muffler system, this time I decided to go with a new muffler I had found online in another forum. It has been around since the 60s for the big blocks and hot rods. The design is a simple flow through but being 31" long you get a long buffer zone and a solid throaty tone when the sound exits. You can see the fin type design, by installing it "against the grain" you get a great natural buffer. To say the least I was very impressed when I got it put in.

If you are new to your own build and learning to DIY, one word of advice...KEEP YOUR TOOL SET ORGANIZED!!! You should always know where your tools are and what is needed. If you perform a big job and have to borrow many tools, take a picture of all tools at the end and try to purchase those tools needed and include them in your future field kit. This is what will start to separate your need for desperate help when stuff goes wrong and getting shit done. (The Chilton repair manual in the picture should not be considered anything short of a false sense of security, it's next to junk)

More soon to come....
Old 06-14-2010, 10:46 AM   #3
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
nice rig
Old 06-14-2010, 12:29 PM   #4
mjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks, I was really skeptical about the tires. I thought that the noise was going to be a little noisy for me. Not so! These things are SUPER quite for M/T tires. I am very happy with choosing them. Plus no tire shops in the bay area sell Nitto tires, I get a lot of people asking how I got them.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:01 PM   #5
vqtran9 is on a distinguished road
vqtran9's Tacoma Gallery
Taco talk

Hey Mike.

Jus sayin hi. Beaut of a rig you have there! Those tires are vicious. I'll have to pick your brain about that lift sometime.

I actually had an 03 that I lost in a wreck. Its front-end was lifted via coil-overs, but it wasn't done by me, and I suspect the guy didn't have it to spec. I lost control of it turning on an on-ramp. Maybe it was the UCA's that you talk about...?

Hopefully I'll have another one soon. I'll look you up for a few pointers when I do.

Vince
Old 06-21-2010, 08:30 AM   #6

Thanks Vince, the tires are unbelievably quiet, it took a liitle bit for me to get use to the amount of sidewall flex but it's normal driving now. My UCA's come in tommorow, I can't wait to get them installed. That's crazy, I did t know you lost your truck on a ramp! Suspension is very easy to intstall but it is also very important to be patient and double check work (preferably another trained eye). UCA's could have played a factor, caster is a very important componant of steering adjustment. Hope to see you soon with an 04'. If you have any questions or need work done let me know.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:15 PM   #7

Updated....Next Stage....overland outfitting. Fuel rack/Water storage/Rooftop tent/Swing gate/Recovery/Lockers/Re-gear....and some LIGHTS!
Old 06-13-2011, 10:53 PM   #8
Frostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Frostbyte's Tacoma Gallery
good looking truck. i like your picture with the "mysterious" moving rocks, ive always wanted to head out there and check them out for myself.

did you have to trim when you put your tires on?
Old 06-15-2011, 10:01 AM   #9
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
great build!

what do you have here?

also, where did you put the powerstick? you have pics of your exhaust assembled?
Old 06-15-2011, 01:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCO View Post
great build!

what do you have here?

also, where did you put the powerstick? you have pics of your exhaust assembled?

That photo was snapped in Death Valley this year going through Mengal Pass. My wife and I had taken a break right on trail after we encountered a really technical section. The meter had Gone way past 30deg a couple times that week.

Mjohn617 build-imageuploadedbytapatalk1308168238.923614.jpg

The Powerstick, as you can see in the photo was installed just before the muffler, replacing the long section of piping. I am really impressed with the sound! It's clean, sounds conditioned and tuned.

I have tried to capture it's sound with the various cameras I have but it all comes out like crap (sound quality). Hopefully I can find a good Mic. Soon.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:17 PM   #11
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohn617 View Post
That photo was snapped in Death Valley this year going through Mengal Pass. My wife and I had taken a break right on trail after we encountered a really technical section. The meter had Gone way past 30deg a couple times that week.

Attachment 104713

The Powerstick, as you can see in the photo was installed just before the muffler, replacing the long section of piping. I am really impressed with the sound! It's clean, sounds conditioned and tuned.

I have tried to capture it's sound with the various cameras I have but it all comes out like crap (sound quality). Hopefully I can find a good Mic. Soon.

yea i was curious about what monitor that is..

powerstick seems pretty sweet
Old 06-15-2011, 01:27 PM   #12

Oh the meter is just a basic 4 wheel parts store purchase. It works great for $15 and has wiring for illumination. It was either this or a liquid Marine type. I think I am going to get some Windshield glue and mount it next to the rear view mirror...clean up the dash.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:16 AM   #13
BransTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Brandon
BransTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Frigg'n sweet nerf bars. What brand are those?
Old 06-16-2011, 07:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BransTaco View Post
Frigg'n sweet nerf bars. What brand are those?

Rolling Big Power

Old 06-20-2011, 01:22 PM   #15
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Sick truck man, and cool pix! I spent some time exploring around DV back when I had a 1st gen. Its a sweet place for sure.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:52 PM   #16
n0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: USDI BLM
Name: J.W.
n0rth's Tacoma Gallery
Impressive, I like what you have done with the truck so far and looks like it is just going to get better.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:53 AM   #17
BransTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Brandon
BransTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohn617 View Post
Rolling Big Power

Thanks!
Old 06-23-2011, 10:47 AM   #18
BBBsti LTD will become famous soon enough
BBBsti LTD's Tacoma Gallery
Nice looking truck!!!!
Did you modifiy the cab mounts?
Old 06-23-2011, 01:03 PM   #19

No, I have not read anything about cab mounts. I have been preparing to beef up my motor mounts due to the 05's having some defective welds.

What's up with cab mounts?
Old 06-23-2011, 06:37 PM   #20
BBBsti LTD will become famous soon enough
BBBsti LTD's Tacoma Gallery
Usually 285s tires rub on the cab mounts when turning the steering.

See
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...mount-mod.html