1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hilux Max's 07 D4D Hilux

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by HILUX MAX, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Feb 1, 2011 at 8:01 PM
    SuthrnTaco07

SuthrnTaco07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement Tundra Limited
    None
    Does Monster Rides make a UCA set for the Tacoma's with the same specs as the one for the Hilux?

2. Feb 1, 2011 at 8:07 PM
    Average JOE

Average JOE Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    3'lift,Upgraded sound system,Dyanamat interior flowmaster,K&N,
    Any future mods?

3. Feb 1, 2011 at 10:19 PM
    HILUX MAX

HILUX MAX [OP] Aussie Offroader :)

Member:
    Melbourne, Australia
    Vehicle:
    07 Hilux 4x4 Diesel
    3" lift, ARB barwork, 285/75x16 Silverstone MT117 Sport, 16x8 Black Dynamic Steel Wheels, Zero offset. Straight through 3" exhaust-no mufflers, Front ARB Locker, Skid Plates, SR5 Rollbar, Lightforce Spotlights and some other shit!
    These will be a direct bolt on to your Taco as the UCA's between the Hilux and Taco are the same. Same with the extended ball joints too.

If anybody is interested in purchasing a set of UCA's, extended ball joints or the diff bracket kit to test/evaluate send me an email at max@monsterrides.com.au

we can take it from there.

4. Feb 1, 2011 at 10:21 PM
    HILUX MAX

Member:
    Melbourne, Australia
    Vehicle:
    07 Hilux 4x4 Diesel
    3" lift, ARB barwork, 285/75x16 Silverstone MT117 Sport, 16x8 Black Dynamic Steel Wheels, Zero offset. Straight through 3" exhaust-no mufflers, Front ARB Locker, Skid Plates, SR5 Rollbar, Lightforce Spotlights and some other shit!

Yeah...heaps but money is tight at the moment.....

tyres need replacing...would love 35's but I think it's abit much for the hilux without severely cutting the fenders to make em bigger....think just to keep it more practical will get Toyo MT's in 305/70x16's.

Monster Rides coil overs with by pass shocks that Im going to test out first in the next month.

would like to get a bed frame made to hold a luggage rack for family camping trips away....not enough storage room at the moment.

Rear Locker to match the front and a second fuel tank for long trips away.

Clocking the Crawl Box which means cutting into the floor of the truck and boxing it up.....

5. Feb 1, 2011 at 10:28 PM
    HILUX MAX

Member:
    Melbourne, Australia
    Vehicle:
    07 Hilux 4x4 Diesel
    Yeah, the new diff brackets are key to our kit we are putting together....by lowering it that much, it allows us to raise the vehcile higher with not as much angle as a 3" lift would.....

even if you didnt decide on aftermarket UCA's, the extended ball joitns would help keep the factory UCA off the coils on full droop.

We are also putting together an upper bump stop which will be adjustable to control how much down travel you would have so you dont over extended your cv's.....

6. Feb 2, 2011 at 12:55 AM
    HILUX MAX

Member:
    Melbourne, Australia
    Vehicle:
    07 Hilux 4x4 Diesel
    I hear what your saying...theres pro's and con's with it I understand.

Con's

-Diff exposed/Less ground clearance under diff center

Pro's

-Potential for more down travel with a properly setup coil over suspension
    -Potential for higher ride height without affecting cv's as much
    -More strength in cv's since they are operating at less severe angles in most cases.

I know the rock crawling scene is big in the USA, but its very tiny here in Australia. Yes, we do get some rock strewn mountain trails but nothing like the Big Boulder Fields you guys have there. My hilux is going to be more of an extreme tourer/expo vehicle than a dedicated rock crawler.....

7. Feb 2, 2011 at 1:09 AM
    HILUX MAX

Member:
    Melbourne, Australia
    Vehicle:
    07 Hilux 4x4 Diesel
    Lower Control Arms are on the to do list at some stage this year once they get a few ongoing projects completed.

One of them includes bringing a current Tacoma front cut over to Australia and seeing what is actually different/similar with the front ends between the hilux and Taco.

The factory Taco lower control arm is different...we know that, how? thats the question. We have a suspicion it may be longer than the hilux one and the lower coilover mount may be located slightly differently, thou not sure till we check it out.

If the Taco lower control arms are going to aid our hilux front ends somehow, then we'll be bringing them over to use......the other option would be a custom lower control arm thou this would end up being expensive.

The lower ball joint, I have been told that due to its design it can handle more movement before binding compared to the upper control arm ball joint. How much Im not certain of I admit....time will tell.

Yeah, a uniball lower ball joint would be good huh?

8. Feb 2, 2011 at 1:20 AM
    Bullzi511Tacoma06

Bullzi511Tacoma06 KCCO

Member:
    Southeast Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Doublecab SR5
    :eek: Damn, I'm subbed! :D

9. Feb 2, 2011 at 1:30 AM
    HILUX MAX

Member:
    Melbourne, Australia
    Vehicle:
    07 Hilux 4x4 Diesel
    Ive just had a look on my hilux and I cant see or understand why a LCA uniball has never been done yet?

It looks like a simple thing to do....the housing that holds the lower ball joint bolts up to the bottom of the spindle...the ball joint goes upside down and is held in with a nut underneath...couldnt be that hard to make up...Ive forwarded this query/idea on to our suspension designer.

Yes, If the Tacoma arms are as we have a suspicion they are then it would be an awesome and cheap add on to improve the hilux's front end. Its the only item that we know is different between the two vehicles front suspension. This we have had confirmed by Total Chaos aswell....

They had built one or two long travel kits to suit the current hilux that were being tested in rallies in Pakistan for one country and I think South America the other....the problem they encountered was with the wider track, 3" per side from memory...anything over a 31" tyre would hit the guards/fender...and because no one makes fibreglass fenders for the hilux it would have been pointless.

The issue for us here is that we cant legally increase our track width on IFS 4x4's more than 30mm in total.....even thou many running 33" tyres use a wider offset wheel that is bigger than that amount alowable, a proper +3" per side LT kit would be impossible.

Thats why we have taken the route we have with our kit.

10. Feb 2, 2011 at 1:37 AM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    You realize you're driving every TW guy's wet dream, right?

:drool:

11. Feb 2, 2011 at 1:39 AM
    HILUX MAX

Member:
    Melbourne, Australia
    Vehicle:
    07 Hilux 4x4 Diesel
    Make sure you use protection when reading my build ok ? :p:anonymous:

12. Feb 2, 2011 at 2:04 AM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    LOL. It's my wallet that needs protection.

13. Feb 2, 2011 at 3:30 AM
    woody6047

woody6047 McGrubber

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Austin/ Waco Texas
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma 4x4 dc
    100%stock, except for the exhaust leak and custom windshield crack mod
    Very nicely done! I wish i coulda got my hands on a Hilux

14. Feb 2, 2011 at 12:38 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    wow lots of great information you just posted. Can I get you some measurements of the lca's or do you guys already have a set?

15. Feb 2, 2011 at 3:55 PM
    HILUX MAX

Member:
    Melbourne, Australia
    Vehicle:
    07 Hilux 4x4 Diesel
    We would love to get our hands on a set of second hand factory 05+ tacoma lower control arms if anyone can assist that would be great.

We are also looking for a 05+ Tacoma front cut for a few projects we are trying to work on in the near future to help the hilux market abit more.

What we need is a 05+ Tacoma V6 and 6 speed transmission, engine ECU, wiring etc. We dont need nothing behind the front of the windscreen/back of the firewall...just imagine someone getting a saw and just cutting the front end of....if anyone can help with that it would be greatly appreciated. PM or email me and we can discuss further.

Lrgrnr, the front upgraded driveshafts have been put on hold for now as this suspension kit we are putting together has taken alot of our time and some of the parts necessary to put the upgraded shafts together were out of stock at the end of last year and are difficult tog et as it is, so Monster Rides will get back onto this during the year. Trust me, Ill let you guys know when these are in stock and ready to go.

16. Feb 2, 2011 at 4:00 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    I kind of need my lcas :laugh: but I know a guy that may lt his truck. When/if he does it I'll see if he'll be willing to part with the stockers. You may have luck hitting up the lt section of this site or heading over to rock solid toys and get a set from somebody that sas'ed theirs. Same for the fenders, I'm sure somebody that went fiberglass will have a set of stock.

You mentioned you were in contact with tc? I'm sure they'll have some assuming they do the installs of the lt kits.

17. Feb 6, 2011 at 9:06 PM
    HILUX MAX

Member:
    Melbourne, Australia
    Vehicle:
    07 Hilux 4x4 Diesel
    Had a quiet morning at work so I played a little with MS-Paint and a pic of my hilux.....raised it slightly mroe and made the tyres look bigger....tried to get em looking like a 35" but I think they look closer to 37 in the pic below....hmmm maybe one day.
    MyLux35s_46d6a7082747a0909a8180fc144f06729536c474.jpg

18. Feb 6, 2011 at 9:18 PM
    01GREENTACO

01GREENTACO Not all who wander are lost

Member:
    Germantown, TN
    Vehicle:
    01 4WD
    Lost track many, many mods ago.
  19. Feb 6, 2011 at 9:38 PM
    HILUX MAX

Member:
    Melbourne, Australia
    Vehicle:
    07 Hilux 4x4 Diesel
    Excuse my ignorance but could someone please explain to me what "sub'd" means as its a term Ive come across a couple times on US Forums but wouldnt have a clue what its short for?

Thanks

20. Feb 6, 2011 at 10:24 PM
    Bsly862

Bsly862 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    08 Off Road
    3in lift
    It means they are subscribing to your thread so they can find it easier and view it later.

Love your build by the way!:cool:

Truck looks great

Products Discussed in

To Top