1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Aftermarket steering wheels

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by Davtopgun, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Jun 3, 2011 at 4:16 PM
    Davtopgun

Davtopgun [OP] Weeeee mod time!

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    TacoAlaMode Custom grill, SCS Gunmetal F5's, Treadwright guard dogs, King extended travel coilovers w/800# springs, OME Dakars. LRUCA's. Allpro off-road plate rear bumper with high clearance hitch, steel breaded extended brake lines front and rear, SOS concepts bolt on rock sliders with top plate, Pelfreybuilt front plate bumper, rci skid plates, Airflow Snorkel, Tom Woods custom one piece drivesahft, Weathertech in channel rain guards, Bushwacker fender flares, custom cab height bedrack, 60" Hi-Lift jack w/Mount, Recon 10,500lb waterproof winch with synthetic line, rear bumper light pods, front bumper light pods and light bar.
    Anyone went with an aftermarket steering wheel? The leather on mine is near worn through and i don't want to put a stupid looking cover on it. My steering wheel is a simple one with no controls other then the horn, and cruise that i've never even used. So, i wouldn't be losing anything.

My questions are,

What would it look like?

Do they make one that would mount up?

If anyone has done this, pics would be awesome!

2. Jun 3, 2011 at 4:20 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    I don't think I ever saw a custom wheel that was airbag compatible. Why not get that one rewrapped or find a used stock one?

3. Jun 3, 2011 at 4:20 PM
    BradleyScottETC

BradleyScottETC Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4
    Do they make aftermarket steering wheels with airbags? I've never seen one, and I dont know if I'd want to drive a car without one- not only because of the danger, but because I'm sure if you get hurt the insurance company is going to have a field day with the fact that you removed your airbag. Plus, I'd feel horrible if someone else was driving my truck and got in an accident.

Well, buzzkill.

4. Jun 3, 2011 at 4:27 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    Not sure it's totally illegal.my wife is 4'11" and drives super close to the wheel.I heard if your under 5' you could have the bag disabled.I have to call the dealer this week.

5. Jun 3, 2011 at 4:29 PM
    Davtopgun

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    TacoAlaMode Custom grill, SCS Gunmetal F5's, Treadwright guard dogs, King extended travel coilovers w/800# springs, OME Dakars. LRUCA's. Allpro off-road plate rear bumper with high clearance hitch, steel breaded extended brake lines front and rear, SOS concepts bolt on rock sliders with top plate, Pelfreybuilt front plate bumper, rci skid plates, Airflow Snorkel, Tom Woods custom one piece drivesahft, Weathertech in channel rain guards, Bushwacker fender flares, custom cab height bedrack, 60" Hi-Lift jack w/Mount, Recon 10,500lb waterproof winch with synthetic line, rear bumper light pods, front bumper light pods and light bar.
    As far as i know it's not illegal, dangerous maybe, but not illegal.

Easy fix, just install a 5 point harness. :thumbsup:

6. Jun 3, 2011 at 4:41 PM
    Davtopgun

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    Just did a bit of reading myself, and it appears that "any vehicle that came standard with an airbag, it is illegal to remove it". But, it appears that it's no more illegal then tinting your windows to dark, or your tail lights to dark. And IF a cop decides to ticket you, it's a minor fine.

UNLESS ofcourse, you live in Cali....Where it's illegal to fart upwind.

7. Jun 3, 2011 at 4:48 PM
    Davtopgun

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    Has nothing to do with handling better. It's for the enjoyability of driving it; weather it be for looks, user preference, or handling.

8. Jun 3, 2011 at 6:12 PM
    crf69

crf69 scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR BSP cab'n 1/2
    ummm yeah
  9. Jun 3, 2011 at 6:19 PM
    Davtopgun

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    magneticwhite88 likes this.
  10. Jun 3, 2011 at 6:21 PM
    crf69

crf69 scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR BSP cab'n 1/2
    ummm yeah
    yeah i know....