1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TexToys build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by textoy, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Aug 8, 2011 at 9:45 AM
    textoy

textoy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 TRD DC
    Pretty much finished all I'm going to do to my '4x4 TRD Off Road SB.
    Started off with all-weather mats and a toyota bike rack. i quickly replaced the toyota bike rack because I needed two and $95.00 each was just too much. I wanted them to match so I used the two I had on my old Tundra. Mounted them using 9/16 T-nuts that fit perfectly into the rail.
    I also mounted a couple of wheel mounts the same way. They were from an old car top mount I've had for 20 years. The whole set-up works perfectly.
    I installed side steps I bought from auto anything for $190.00 shipped. They are Westin 4" ovals in black platinum. Perfect fit in existing holes. Took less than an hour.

i replaced the stock radio antennae with a cheap $9.00 shorty rubber job from auto-zone. The stock one slaps on brush too much when off road.
    Next, i installed two additonal tie-down hooks in the front of the bed. Tough job in the 100 degree heat and 110 degrees in the garage cutting the sides off the washer.
    Took the bed mat that I've been using since my 2000 Tundra, "04 Tundra and "10 tundra and cut it to fit the short bed tacoma. That was a job.
    I also installed a skid plate I got from Clearwater Toyota. They assured me it would fit and allow access to my recovery hooks. Wrong! I had to remove the passenger side hook and turn it over and install on lower side of frame. Now it hangs too low for comfort. The plate also stood to far away from the bumper. I jury rigged it to be within the 15mm the directions stated but I'm not happy with it. I've emailed them but have had no response yet.
    I also did the hose-clamp mod on the tailgate. Not fool proof but simple and cheap.
    The last thing was adding an amplifier and changing the speakers. I had that done by Jack's Stereo of Killeen,TX. I was tempted to do that myself but decided I would end up paying an ignorance fee if I got in over my head. I kept the OEM receiver and went with the amplifier because I wanted to stay with the features that were with it, ie; steering wheel controls, satellite etc, without having to run the risk of it not working as is. I opted for a Kicker amp and Panasonic speakers. Nothing fancy. I just need volume since working on Jets in the Marines and too much shooting have killed the ability to fully appreciate the nuances of sound.
    I think that's about it unless I remember something later. I'll eventually get around to posting some photos when I get time.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Aug 8, 2011 at 9:52 AM
    schleygo

schleygo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Ft Worth TX
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab Radiant Red
    Bilsten 5100s, Eibach Coils, 2" toytec AAL, LR UCAs, SC5 Matt Bronze
    Post some pics. Lets see it

3. Aug 8, 2011 at 10:01 AM
    textoy

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 TRD DC
    i took some pics this morning but had to go to work before i could do anything with them. I'll try to get them up tomorrow night. Will get in too late today to do much with them.

4. Aug 8, 2011 at 1:09 PM
    textoy

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 TRD DC
    I forgot to mention that I had the seat covers replaced with Katzkins leather. Two tone with Dark Graphite outer and light grey with perforations in the center. Also added a seat heater on the driver's side. Had it done by the guy that does leather for the local dealerships. Probably no cheaper but at least i'm not paying interest on them for 4 years.
    also did the hose clamp mod on the tailgate and replaced carpet floor mats with toyota rubber mats.

5. Aug 9, 2011 at 7:21 AM
    textoy

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 TRD DC
    more photos of mods
    [​IMG]

6. Aug 9, 2011 at 7:22 AM