Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Buy / Sell / Trade > 2nd Gen Tacoma Marketplace

Notices

Generation Gap?

Old 03-13-2011, 09:04 AM   #1
BigDan is on a distinguished road

Name: Dan
BigDan's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to BigDan
Generation Gap?

I am fairly new here and have a question. The title here is 2nd Gen which I think you folks are referring to my 2011 Tacoma. But when I shop parts, talk to my dealers parts department etc., it is referred to as a "4th Gen."
What is the difference?
Old 03-13-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
You'll get a better answer if you call the dealers up and ask them.....

We're referring to TACOMAS only. The first tacomas came out in 95.5 and lasted until 2004. A total redesign took place and 2005+ is the 2nd generation Tacoma.

Here, this might explain some of it - but I'm still not sure why the goobers at the dealer call it 4th gen.
http://www.brian894x4.com/Toyotapick...nermodels.html

You really should call the dealer and ask them....I'd be curious to know if they're talking out their ass and probably don't know how to answer your question.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:06 AM   #3
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
For the purpose of this website and anything you'll find across TacomaWorld. Your 2011 Tacoma is a 2nd Gen
Old 03-13-2011, 10:51 AM   #4
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ET2(SS) veteran.
Name: Ryan J. Boutin
ryanjboutin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan View Post
I am fairly new here and have a question. The title here is 2nd Gen which I think you folks are referring to my 2011 Tacoma. But when I shop parts, talk to my dealers parts department etc., it is referred to as a "4th Gen."
What is the difference?
1995.5-1996 First gen first face.
1997-2000 First gen second face.
2001-2004 First gen third face.
2005-2011 Second gen with minor variances in 2009 (LED tail lights started) and 2011 (grille).

Perhaps that is why they are calling yours fourth gen, which is incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTusk View Post
For the purpose of this website and anything you'll find across TacomaWorld. Your 2011 Tacoma is a 2nd Gen
This. ^
Old 03-13-2011, 11:11 AM   #5
BigDan is on a distinguished road

Name: Dan
BigDan's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to BigDan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjboutin View Post
2005-2011 Second gen with minor variances in 2009 (LED tail lights started) and 2011 (grille).

This. ^
I bet you are correct as most of the referrals to this is related to body/grille parts.

Here is an example I ran across the morning.

http://www.shrockworks.com/toyota-ta...-pr-16174.html

Thanks for the information.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:16 AM   #6
Mob parking lots.
ryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shedryanjboutin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan View Post
I bet you are correct as most of the referrals to this is related to body/grille parts.

Here is an example I ran across the morning.

http://www.shrockworks.com/toyota-ta...-pr-16174.html

Thanks for the information.
Yeah, I've spent a lot of time on CustomTacos.com, which is a predominantly first generation community.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:45 AM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjboutin View Post

Nahhh.... The salesman at the Dealerships are clueless. We're lucky they know they're even called 'Tacomas' let alone which era they came from.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:55 AM   #8
Mob parking lots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Nahhh.... The salesman at the Dealerships are clueless. We're lucky they know they're even called 'Tacomas' let alone which era they came from.
Agreed.

Semi-related story: Special K and I were at a dealership yesterday and saw a new FJ.

Had XD wheels with fake bead locks and Nitto Terra grapplers. Window sticker called them a $5,000 aftermarket wheel/tire combo.

I feel sorry for the people that aren't on forums. There is truly a wealth of knowledge in these databases.