Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Buy / Sell / Trade > 2nd Gen Tacoma Marketplace

Notices

WTB Volant Ram Air Scoop

Old 01-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
Betty Blue
Fennywald is a glorious beacon of lightFennywald is a glorious beacon of lightFennywald is a glorious beacon of lightFennywald is a glorious beacon of lightFennywald is a glorious beacon of light

Navy: VFA
Name: Matt
Fennywald's Tacoma Gallery
WTB Volant Ram Air Scoop

Want to buy Ram Air scoop for the Volant cold air intake. Looks like this...

Pm me if you have a used one you're trying to get rid of. Thanks!
Old 01-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #2
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
U and me both man. Have had a want ad for a month for nada
Old 01-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
Betty Blue
Fennywald is a glorious beacon of lightFennywald is a glorious beacon of lightFennywald is a glorious beacon of lightFennywald is a glorious beacon of lightFennywald is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay238 View Post
U and me both man. Have had a want ad for a month for nada
Dang.. Well i'll give it a little bit before i break down and buy a one new lol
Old 01-29-2012, 05:24 PM   #4
wes mantooth ™
Joben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: I Babysit Adults
Name: Joben
Joben7726's Tacoma Gallery
Old 01-30-2012, 07:55 AM   #5
Betty Blue

monday bump..
Old 01-30-2012, 08:48 AM   #6
wes mantooth ™
Joben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
monday lunch bumpage...
Old 01-30-2012, 09:37 AM   #8
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fennywald View Post
Want to buy Ram Air scoop for the Volant cold air intake. Looks like this...

Pm me if you have a used one you're trying to get rid of. Thanks!

All those things do is suck water into your filter box from what Ive heard from a friend who had one for a little bit.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:40 AM   #9
Ainokea
RecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RecklessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I've had mine for a little over two years now and have never had water sucked into the air box. And I wheel a lot. Water, mud, etc. You would have to spray water directly into it at high pressure to get any kind of water in there.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:41 AM   #10
07tacos is on a distinguished road

Name: Raul
07tacos's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone know how much HP these are expected to ad? or what other advantage is there to these?
Old 01-30-2012, 09:42 AM   #11
07tacos is on a distinguished road

Name: Raul
07tacos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecklessTaco View Post
I've had mine for a little over two years now and have never had water sucked into the air box. And I wheel a lot. Water, mud, etc. You would have to spray water directly into it at high pressure to get any kind of water in there.
is there any kind of bypass that keeps water from getting in?

Im wondering if this is a good alternative to a snorkel...
Old 01-30-2012, 09:45 AM   #12
Betty Blue

Quote:
Ill keep an eye out for ya. But hard to find someone selling one as they all want to buy one for there setup. Don't see many people selling
thanks man, know its a long shot, but figured i'd put it out there.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:49 AM   #13
wes mantooth ™
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07tacos View Post
Anyone know how much HP these are expected to ad? or what other advantage is there to these?
Between 7-15 unofficially.

+25 kit you add a sticker.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #14
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
aren't you in the desert?

and I know everyone says they wheel a lot, but really, an intake in the grill? That's just asking for trouble IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07tacos View Post
is there any kind of bypass that keeps water from getting in?

Im wondering if this is a good alternative to a snorkel...
No, it's a horrible alternative to a snorkel.

First off it costs more.

Secondly the intake is in a horrible spot.

Third...well I know someone who had issues every time it rained.

IMO any intake at the front of a truck that goes offroad is not a good idea. Not only would it suck dust, but it would also suck water and mud.

there is no way in hell I would trust that intake

this is this weekend

and this is after the day was over - now imagine your intake full of mud like my engine bay is --- notice my snorkel head turned around

Old 01-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #15
Ainokea
RecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RecklessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Its not in the grill. You can't even see it unless you bend down to look. And know. I live in the mountains and it rains and yes I wheel a lot. Probably more than anyone on here. We have trails right in our back yard. I have gone through big water crossing. Splashing through the mud and water holes and have never had an issue ever. Dust is just part of the game. Mine doesn't even get as dusty as my buddy's AFE does. Just postn facts
Old 01-30-2012, 12:40 PM   #19
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Its not like URD's intake that actually does sit behind grill.
ahh...that's the one my buddy had that sucked water - sorry
Old 02-01-2012, 01:29 PM   #20
PMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PMK's Tacoma Gallery
FWIW, as mentioned the Volant scoop is positioned onto and secured to the radiator core support.

I have one of the scoops I bought here. I got it for a decent price and it also had the setup for connecting to the stock airbox. This is how I have it setup.

Never had an issue with water, but not into off-roading the truck. While others have mentioned no water ingested problems, if I was running water crossings as the one in the photo, I would go snorkel also. While this scoop is somewhat protected, it is no higher than the hood latch and a return wave of water could easily enter this scoop.

Rain, puddles or short water crossings shouldn't be a problem. The photo appears to be a pretty lengthy run.

As for performance or mileage, it should be better, but if it is, it's not much. Maybe a couple tenths of an MPG.

Looks cool, and makes it a pain to service the coolant.

PK