1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

16 in powdercoated Trd Offroad rims

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tacoma Parts Marketplace (2005-2015)' started by csjumper2003, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Mar 10, 2012 at 4:55 AM
    TRDyota09

TRDyota09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jabin
    Reedsville,WV
    Vehicle:
    09 Super White TRD DCSB
    K&N cold air intake, magnaflow dual exhaust, extang trifold, grillcraft black mesh grill, spyder black projector headlights w/LED's and halo's, trd 6 speed shift knob, aftermarket TRD badges, interior piped out in red,265/75-16 Goodyear Duratrac tires,painted wheels w/red pin stripe
    Your wheels look awesome! I heard from a guy a while back that did powdercoating that you should NOT do this to aluminum wheels because once the wheel gets hot from rotation or brake heat or whatever, that the aluminum wheel has a high chance of cracking because the powdercoat process makes them weak and also more pro.e to bending. Is he wrong about this, or does it depend on the wheel?

2. Mar 10, 2012 at 6:48 AM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
    A quick search on powdercoating says it's done around 200 degrees. That shouldn't hurt the aluminum.

3. Mar 10, 2012 at 6:56 AM
    TRDyota09

TRDyota09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jabin
    Reedsville,WV
    Vehicle:
    09 Super White TRD DCSB
    K&N cold air intake, magnaflow dual exhaust, extang trifold, grillcraft black mesh grill, spyder black projector headlights w/LED's and halo's, trd 6 speed shift knob, aftermarket TRD badges, interior piped out in red,265/75-16 Goodyear Duratrac tires,painted wheels w/red pin stripe
    I just wondered why he would bring that up, because I didn't really think you could hurt the aluminum but he might have done something wrong or powdercoated don defective wheels. I dunno anything about it, so thanks for the Info.

4. Mar 10, 2012 at 7:23 AM
    csjumper2003

csjumper2003 [OP] Jumper's Leds Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2014 SSM Trd Off Road 4x4 Auto
    Sorry bro they are sold.

5. Mar 10, 2012 at 11:40 PM
    Frankoo1234

Frankoo1234 Well-Known Member

Member:
    OC
    Vehicle:
    Double Cab 05 Taco PreRunner
    Running boards, Tint
    no prob bro i knew they were gonna be spoken for. If you dont mind me asking what was the process to get them powercoated? (iam talking about interms of time and stuff)

How long did it take for them to do all 4 rims?
    Did you take the truck and leave it there for the whole time?
    or did you take the rims off and send them to powercoat? or did they do that?

sorry man its something i want to do with mine but dont know how it actually goes down.. What i do know is that a lot of shops are different. I just want to get an idea.

Thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top