1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wanted cold air intake

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tacoma Parts Marketplace (2005-2015)' started by Badassseabee, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Jun 22, 2012 at 3:43 AM
    Mr Souc

Mr Souc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    Topsham Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    - TacoME Satoshi - Hella Supertones - TRD front skid plate - TRD CAI - TRD cat-back exhaust - TRD short throw shifter - TRD 6 speed ball knob - Baja Soft 8 16" wheels - 285/75/16 BFG T/A KO2s - Pioneer AVH-P2400BT - OEM roof rack - Thule Aero roof rack - TSB Add-A-Leaf - 1" Level spacer up front - 5100s front & rear - Eibach 620lb coils - Toytec 2" add-a-leaf - Plasti-Dip bumper, badges, & roof
    I'll stay tuned too!

2. Jun 24, 2012 at 1:30 PM
    DR Da_da

DR Da_da Infrequent Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 V6 TRD Offroad auto access cab
    ToyTec ultimate lift, LR UCAs, TRD gen 1 CAI, TRD cat-back, bull bar, anytime fog lights, lighted 4x4 switch, factory SS step tubes, factory interior lighting package, factory VIP 3200 alarm, FJ TRD center caps, rear diff breather relocate, tint, bug deflector, Weather Tech liners
    PM sent. I never heard back from the OP or the first guy to PM me - you're the next in line!

3. Jun 24, 2012 at 2:42 PM
    Taco-NB

Taco-NB MMMMM Taco's

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 SR5 Access Cab V6 - Black Sand Pearl
    Damn. I sent a PM too lol. Cash is ready to send as soon as you get back to me.

Cheers.

4. Jun 24, 2012 at 5:18 PM
    DR Da_da

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    ToyTec ultimate lift, LR UCAs, TRD gen 1 CAI, TRD cat-back, bull bar, anytime fog lights, lighted 4x4 switch, factory SS step tubes, factory interior lighting package, factory VIP 3200 alarm, FJ TRD center caps, rear diff breather relocate, tint, bug deflector, Weather Tech liners
    Roger - got it! I'm just going down the list in order of when people responded. Two others are still in front of you, but I will keep you guys updated. Break . . . .

Sublime - PM me your e-mail and I'll send you more pictures.

Thanks!

-Craig

5. Jun 24, 2012 at 5:21 PM
    bruth

bruth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Alamo ca
    Vehicle:
    2000 access cab 4x4 Tacoma
    Total chaos is currently shipping
  6. Jun 24, 2012 at 7:27 PM
    Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Icon/All Pro.....chopped for 35's
    Yeah buddy......sublime_michael@yahoo.com

7. Jun 24, 2012 at 8:17 PM
    DR Da_da

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    E-mail sent with more pictures!

8. Jun 30, 2012 at 3:24 AM
    Mr Souc

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    Topsham Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    - TacoME Satoshi - Hella Supertones - TRD front skid plate - TRD CAI - TRD cat-back exhaust - TRD short throw shifter - TRD 6 speed ball knob - Baja Soft 8 16" wheels - 285/75/16 BFG T/A KO2s - Pioneer AVH-P2400BT - OEM roof rack - Thule Aero roof rack - TSB Add-A-Leaf - 1" Level spacer up front - 5100s front & rear - Eibach 620lb coils - Toytec 2" add-a-leaf - Plasti-Dip bumper, badges, & roof
    Checkin in - she end up getting sold yet?

9. Jul 2, 2012 at 3:43 AM
    Mr Souc

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    Topsham Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Sublime, did you score this intake?

10. Jul 2, 2012 at 5:18 AM
    Sublime

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Get it man....decided to go with the k&n from bruth. This seems like a good deal just need to clean the filter first.

11. Jul 3, 2012 at 4:45 AM
    Mr Souc

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    Topsham Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Can I call dibs on this one? Just don't want to step on any toes!

12. Jul 3, 2012 at 10:51 AM
    DR Da_da

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Gents,
    Thanks for your patience through the delays. Despite TW PM glitches, personal scheduling conflicts of both potential buyers and seller, and cold feet (ehhum, Sublime), this item is SOLD!

13. Jul 3, 2012 at 11:24 AM
    Sublime

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    LOL, wasn't cold feet brother....for the price of fixing the ripped intake seal, cleaning the crap oil filter and possiby needing a URD tuner (which will only work in open loop above 5k rpm) to fix the code it throws, I might as well by a new aFe or k&n and NOT have any issues!

To each their own!

PS - Funny you switched to the TRD intake.....if it was so great why did you replace it?

:quickdraw:

14. Jul 3, 2012 at 11:57 AM
    DR Da_da

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Wow. First of all, I wasn't taking a shot at you by any means, just a little friendly jabbing. :cheers: Secondly, you must have not read the PM I sent to you a while ago regarding the filter needing a cleaning, not needing the MAF calibrator, and the reason I went with the TRD CAI. Let me reiterate:

I never experienced ANY check-engine-light codes with either intake. The reason I went with the old version TRD CAI over the Volant was due to a smoking deal I just couldn't pass up (I have the whole TRD theme on my truck with Offroad package, exhaust, FJ TRD wheel center caps, etc., so I was just interested in keeping with that theme). The only difference I noted between the two intakes was the subjective perception that the Volant may be slightly louder when you hammer down on the throttle; no performance or mpg differences noted at all.

You do not need a MAF calibrator for a simple CAI. Your truck's ECU is fully capable of adjusting. If you were to do additional stuff like throw on some headers or install a supercharger then you'd definitely need the calibrator. For Volant CAI, not so much.

As far as the filter needing a cleaning . . . it's a used kit at less than half the cost of a new one - what do you expect? Oiled air filters are not crap, either. They actually do a better job of filtering, provided that the user doesn't over-oil them. (I ride motocross; there's a reason motocross bikes run oiled filters only).

Lastly, the little rubber flange was successfully re-glued with 3M automotive weatherstrip adhesive in literally 30 seconds. I guess that's what happens when I let it sit in my attic for three years.

15. Jul 3, 2012 at 12:44 PM
    Sublime

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Ahh ya, you took a shot at me! :D

It's cool man, I'm not upset or anything. The internet is just a place where thing get turned around easily.

I was setting the record straight as to why I didn't buy the intake instead of "getting cold feet"!

99% of members who currently run that intake needed to run the calibrater....that's all I'm saying!

IMO the oiled filters suck compared to a pro dry with a pre-filter wrap as I do a lot of off-roading in dusty conditions.

Got myself a k&n and will switch to the aFe pro dry for filter all for under $150! Couldn't pass that up.

16. Jul 3, 2012 at 12:57 PM
    Taco-NB

Taco-NB MMMMM Taco's

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 SR5 Access Cab V6 - Black Sand Pearl
    99% !!! :eek: I doubt it. First I've heard of it.

17. Jul 3, 2012 at 1:19 PM
    Sublime

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    99% Damit! J/K

:duel:

Like I said, to each their own! No hard feelings, just wasn't what I wanted!

18. Jul 28, 2012 at 6:55 PM
    jakeworthy

jakeworthy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    HB
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCLB
    does the AFE pro dry air filter with the stock exhaust have a better found then stock filter?

19. Sep 7, 2012 at 10:34 PM
    WingsTacoma

WingsTacoma Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green Limited.
    None
    I just finished installing the 77 series K&N intake system on my 2011 TRD Sport. I've only had the opportunity to take it for a short drive but I can already tell the difference. The change in sound is HUGE when the RPM's get over 2.5k. I can also attest for an increase in power. The increase isn't huge but its definitely there.
    The on/off ramps just got a whole lot more fun in my neck of the woods

Products Discussed in

To Top