Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Buy / Sell / Trade > 2nd Gen Tacoma Marketplace

Notices

FS: Gates Idler pulley set for 2nd gen 2.7l

Old 03-15-2013, 07:42 PM   #1
eeberleeber has much to be proud ofeeberleeber has much to be proud ofeeberleeber has much to be proud ofeeberleeber has much to be proud ofeeberleeber has much to be proud ofeeberleeber has much to be proud ofeeberleeber has much to be proud ofeeberleeber has much to be proud ofeeberleeber has much to be proud of
eeberleeber's Tacoma Gallery
FS: Gates Idler pulley set for 2nd gen 2.7l

SOLD

NEW unmounted Gates idler pulleys
$55 shipped CONUS
(only selling as set, will not split items)

amt....part numbers:
1x......36173
1x......36174

These are the two aftermarket replacements for the 2nd gen 05+ 2.7l (2TR engine). The 4.0l V6 uses the same; just has 3 pulleys (needs two of 36173 instead of one).

I bought these two and the tensioner assembly, but only ended up needing the tensioner. Whoops!

Old 03-17-2013, 05:11 AM   #2
eeberleeber has much to be proud ofeeberleeber has much to be proud ofeeberleeber has much to be proud ofeeberleeber has much to be proud ofeeberleeber has much to be proud ofeeberleeber has much to be proud ofeeberleeber has much to be proud ofeeberleeber has much to be proud ofeeberleeber has much to be proud of
bump
Old 03-17-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
jeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
jeverich's Tacoma Gallery
I may be interested.. Have to take a look at my idler pulleys when I get back home (2 weeks)..

Thanks!
Old 03-17-2013, 03:47 PM   #4
If they're not sold by then, I'd love to sell them to you!
Old 03-18-2013, 05:28 PM   #5
bump
Old 03-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #6
OBO?
Old 04-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #7
ttt
Old 04-13-2013, 06:58 PM   #8
ClayCole is on a distinguished road
ClayCole's Tacoma Gallery
Gates 36173 and 16174 idler pulleys on 2.7L 2TR-FE

I too order these idler pulleys for my truck because my factory pulleys were squeaking.

The Gates pulleys don't look anything like the stock pulleys on my 2008 4cyl 2.7L 2TR-FE and I haven't tried to install them because I know they won't work If I try to bolt them on right out of the box.

Has anyone actually installed these pulleys on a 2nd gen 4 banger?

I could probably make them work If I had spacers to shim them out to the right positions, but as they come from Gates they don't look right at all.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:27 AM   #9
Both pulleys aren't a good fit? When I was looking at OEM idler pulleys, I did come across a part change:

"serpentine idler (water pump mount)
used to be:
16603-31010
16603-31040

now 16603-0P030"

Not sure what exactly the part change was, or whether it was just a part number change for the same part.

Maybe this has something to do with the incompatibility with your truck and these aftermarket pulleys?
Old 04-15-2013, 07:26 AM   #10
The upper pulley on my truck has two bearings, which means that the bolt for my stock pulley is too long for the replacement pulley. My stock pulley is shimmed out to the proper position with a single spacer bushing, but the bushing doesn't push the Gates aftermarket replacement out far enough.

The Gates lower pulley looks like it would work If I had a spacer/bushing of the right thickness, but my stock pulley uses a bushing that fits into the center of the bearing and has a shoulder that spaces the pulley out to the right distance.

I took pictures of the original and aftermarket parts side-by-side but the pics are at home and I'm at work.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:17 PM   #11
See the thread below for pictures of the pulleys that came off of my 2008 2.7L

Link to: New Thread With Pictures of Factory Pulleys Next To Gates Pulleys

-Cheers
Old 05-15-2013, 08:57 PM   #12
ttt
Old 06-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #13
bump
Old 07-14-2013, 07:20 AM   #14
ttt
Old 08-05-2013, 04:35 AM   #15
Bump
Old 09-03-2013, 04:02 AM   #16
ttt
Old 09-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #17
bump
Old 09-24-2013, 07:33 PM   #18
SOLD