Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Buy / Sell / Trade > 2nd Gen Tacoma Marketplace

Notices

05+ Tacoma Diffs 4:56 + ARB

Old 04-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
Taco Jeff is on a distinguished road
Taco Jeff's Tacoma Gallery
05+ Tacoma Diffs 4:56 + ARB

These are complete as shown differentials that fit 05+ Tacoma.
I purchased these from Just Differentials and they have just under 10,000 miles on them. They were just removed from my truck by YOTAMASTERS in Corona.
The diffs have 4:56 ring and pinions with ARB lockers. I paid $3600 for these not including shipping. You can pick them up and slap them in for $2500 OBO.

Jeff
Old 04-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #2
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
Name: Brady
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Good deal right here! I paid $2500 for my front and rear diffs from East Coast Gear Supply but mine only had 1 ARB locker. Those lockers are $900 a piece new.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
Your NativeTaco is in the building
NativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
NativeTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Great deal! Is the rear the 8" or the 8.4"?
Old 04-11-2013, 08:05 PM   #4
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvtheMountains View Post
8.4". They don't make an ARB for the 8" because it comes with the factory E-locker.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
Your NativeTaco is in the building
NativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
NativeTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Wish this would have come up before I spent $2k on just my rear locker/compressor/install without any regearing!
Old 04-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #6
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
wow this is tempting
Old 04-11-2013, 08:13 PM   #7
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvtheMountains View Post
Just so you're aware, all Tacoma diffs have an 8" ring gear. That said, the diff he's got for sale is the late model 8" diff, which is the strongest 8" diff Toyota has yet produced. Note the bearing cap trusses.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #9
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotorrex View Post
hahaha you just happen to see every gear thread!
More or less.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Just so you're aware, all Tacoma diffs have an 8" ring gear. That said, the diff he's got for sale is the late model 8" diff, which is the strongest 8" diff Toyota has yet produced. Note the bearing cap trusses.
Well the non TRD offroad is very commonly referred to as the 8.4" and while the e-locker is called the 8". I never did confirm if the ring gears themselves are interchangeable, but I do know the thirds are not.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyT88 View Post
Well the non TRD offroad is very commonly referred to as the 8.4" and while the e-locker is called the 8". I never did confirm if the ring gears themselves are interchangeable, but I do know the thirds are not.
The ring gears are not.

The non-locked diff has a carrier and ring gear with 12 bolts, the e-locker has 10. This is one of the reasons the non-locked diffs are stronger. There are others as well, mostly to do with housing design that limits deflection of parts under load.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:32 PM   #14

Quote:
The ring gears are not.

The non-locked diff has a carrier and ring gear with 12 bolts, the e-locker has 10. This is one of the reasons the non-locked diffs are stronger. There are others as well, mostly to do with housing design that limits deflection of parts under load.
Got ya. Good to know. I did know that they were considered stronger though. Mostly due to the brace on the backside that the Offroads lack.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:34 PM   #16
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
Why did I watch this?? Its now going to cost me money!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvOgneVbVnE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z257wwbPC70
Old 04-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyT88 View Post
Got ya. Good to know. I did know that they were considered stronger though. Mostly due to the brace on the backside that the Offroads lack.
- Bearing Caps are trussed.
- Larger Side Bearings
- Side Bearings are Shim Adjusted rather than Threaded-Cap
- More Ring Gear Bolts.
- Extra side rib on the housing of the third itself.
- 10mm housing studs with 14mm nuts (e-locked rears have 8 and 12, respectively)

Those are the main points. The bottom line is that there's just more rigidity built in. If Toyota was smart they'd have designed one of these with an e-locker assembly for the offroad trucks. But they figured the same 25yr old diff was "good enough" despite the extra weight and power of the 2gen.

Just an example of "new Toyota" not being "old Toyota".

It kills me, because the (auto) tranny and transfer cases in these trucks are titan strong. Why those chose to then make the rear axle the weak link just reeks of penny pinching.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:45 PM   #18

Quote:
- Bearing Caps are trussed.
- Larger Side Bearings
- Side Bearings are Shim Adjusted rather than Threaded-Cap
- More Ring Gear Bolts.
- Extra side rib on the housing of the third itself.
- 10mm housing studs with 14mm nuts (e-locked rears have 8 and 12, respectively)

Those are the main points. The bottom line is that there's just more rigidity built in. If Toyota was smart they'd have designed one of these with an e-locker assembly for the offroad trucks. But they figured the same 25yr old diff was "good enough" despite the extra weight and power of the 2gen.

Just an example of "new Toyota" not being "old Toyota".

It kills me, because the (auto) tranny and transfer cases in these trucks are titan strong. Why those chose to then make the rear axle the weak link just reeks of penny pinching.
Tell me about... I blew up my factory r&p once already...
Old 04-11-2013, 09:04 PM   #20
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Damn you for posting those videos . Was lining up one locker now want to just do two . Free compressors through may 31st!