Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Buy / Sell / Trade > 2nd Gen Tacoma Marketplace

Notices

FS: FX-R Retrofit Projector Headlights

Old 05-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
FS: FX-R Retrofit Projector Headlights

SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD

$450 + shipping FIRM via Paypal

I would consider trade items as well. Right now I am looking for a set of LED 09+ Tails and sliders.

I have for sale a pair of retrofitted headlights complete with FX-R projectors. These were built by another member back when he was making them and then I purchased them off the member they were made for. They are not perfect, but I will outline to the best of my knowledge everything you need to know.

The Good:
Light output is excellent with no bowing and is damn near dead on rotation wise. If you have a mini D2S setup you won't be disappointed in the upgrade. That's what I originally had and don't regret the switch a bit.
I am including Phillips 85122 bulbs and Denso Slim ballasts. These are OEM components to which other retrofit parts are generally compared against.

The Bad (take into account that I didn't build these ):
1. The main reason I took these off and built my own is that on hard bumps and stuff they tend to "deflect". In other words they sorta bounce on bumps and stuff. No one else in my vehicle seemed to notice or care, but it bothered me. You will get this with any retrofit you do or buy and I believe it is because the projector is too heavy for the bowl thus the deflection on vibration. My new ones aren't even cured of this though I am working on a solution.
2. (UPDATE 6/2/13: I got in behind them and modified them more to avoid this issue. I believe I have remedied it, but can make no guarantees as I have no way to bench test it currently. I can provide the buyer with a diagram of all FX-R moving parts so that if the issue still exists they can fix it themselves pretty easily.) When you flip to high beams, occasionally the shield will catch part way on its way down. When I got them it happened nearly every time. I got in there and messed with them, but I couldn't completely take apart the projector so my access to the components were limited. It now will catch MAYBE once in 20 cycles. To remedy all you have to do is flip the stalk back once to go high beam again, and then back to low beam and it should be all good.
3. (UPDATE 6/2/13: I have taken apart and resealed both headlights. Ran a bead of ribbon sealer and reapplied silicone to both. If the buyer modifies his/her boot off of their OEM headlights correctly I see no reason that these should not be water tight.)They get a little bit of moisture in them if you go through an automatic car wash. When I wash the truck at home with the hose I have no problems which leads me to believe that the moisture is coming in the back where the ballast hooks up to the bulb. I would recommend taking the stock rubber boots off of your OEM headlights and modifying them to fit snugly over that. Regardless, they clear up after like 20 minutes in the sun.

Alright, now that I have laid out everything that I know that you need to know I figure I shall let you know how much I am asking and how you might get a hold of these daylight makers. I am looking to get $450 + shipping. Should be no more than $50. Canada and Hawaii might be a little different as I haven't shipped there before. We can figure something out though price might be the same.

Let me know if you have any questions and this FS listing will have the same rules as my others. I am more than happy to answer questions within the thread, but a PM is the only way to get yourself in line to buy them. If you send me a pm and I respond you will be given 18 hours to get back to me before I move on to the next guy.

And a pic when they were on my truck
Old 05-20-2013, 10:32 PM   #3
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Price drop bump... $450 + shipping. Need these gone! Don't really wanna drive them across the country. Take into account that you are getting OEM components. Phillips bulbs and Denso ballasts that go from 0 to full brightness in about 3 seconds.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #5
Vivid Illumination

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmxracer View Post
seriously interested but I didnt like reading about all the problems they have. Thinking about it
Well here's the thing... I try to be as honest as I possibly can when it comes to anything, especially commerce. I have been screwed over on deals and I do my best to represent what I have to the best of my ability in an attempt to keep the future buyer as informed as possible.

If it would ease the future buyers mind I can open them up and reseal them, although of course I couldn't GUARANTEE that they would be waterproof but I could be reasonably sure. I can also get behind the projectors and mess with the shields and solenoids some more to see if i can all but eliminate the occasional hang. However, the wobble cannot be fixed. Any retrofit that you buy will have this, especially a complete FX-R or LS460 retrofit. It isn't as bad as I make it sound.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:53 PM   #6
MAUIxROCKSTAR is on a distinguished road
MAUIxROCKSTAR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
Price drop bump... $450 shipped. Need these gone! Don't really wanna drive them across the country. Take into account that you are getting OEM components. Phillips bulbs and Denso ballasts that go from 0 to full brightness in about 3 seconds.
quote me a price wit shipping to hawaii i sure do want these. so give a good price and i will let you know. Mahaloz From Hawaii
Old 05-26-2013, 12:21 AM   #7
Vivid Illumination

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAUIxROCKSTAR View Post
quote me a price wit shipping to hawaii i sure do want these. so give a good price and i will let you know. Mahaloz From Hawaii
Pm sent
Old 05-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #8
GO TIGERS!
suttonkb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuttonkb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuttonkb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuttonkb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuttonkb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuttonkb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuttonkb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuttonkb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuttonkb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuttonkb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuttonkb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
suttonkb's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to suttonkb
any night shots?
Old 05-26-2013, 09:57 PM   #9
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
How hard would it be more me to paint the bowls and shrouds black?
Old 06-02-2013, 07:04 PM   #10
Vivid Illumination

Quote:
Originally Posted by suttonkb View Post
any night shots?
I got your pm and attached some pics of similar set ups in there. I do not have any shots of these ones, but with the components I am including in this package the output might even be a little better than most of the ones you see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
How hard would it be more me to paint the bowls and shrouds black?
Eh... To be honest Patrick I think that it would be more work than it's worth. The shield is attached to the projector and the projector to the bowl so you would have to tape off the lens very meticulously and then spray making sure to not get any overspray inside of the projector. I personally wouldn't recommend trying it, but who am I to stop you
Old 06-02-2013, 07:08 PM   #11
Vivid Illumination

Update on the headlights themselves. I messed with the pieces in the back again today and could not get them to hang up at all so I may have solved that issue. No guarantees, but I can provide the buyer with a diagram showing all moving parts of an FX-R so that they could see the areas where it could hang up and tweak the lights themselves later down the line if they wanted to. Also, I took apart the headlights again and resealed them. I used ribbon sealer on the inside and silicone on the outside to make sure that hell nor high water could get into these things. I will include the boots that I have for them, but I recommend the buyer modifies their own for a better fit. If the buyer cuts their boot correctly I can't imagine any water could get into these lights...

Also, currently the order of potential buyers is MAUIxROCKSTAR followed by mattmxracer.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:20 PM   #12
GO TIGERS!
suttonkb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuttonkb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuttonkb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuttonkb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuttonkb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuttonkb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuttonkb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuttonkb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuttonkb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuttonkb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuttonkb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
suttonkb's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to suttonkb
Put me on the list behind them. 29643 for shipping
Old 06-05-2013, 11:06 PM   #14
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
How do the lens's look? Sorry i didnt see in the OP if it you mentioned it
Old 06-05-2013, 11:08 PM   #15
Vivid Illumination

Quote:
How do the lens's look? Sorry i didnt see in the OP if it you mentioned it
The projector lenses? They look clear...? If you're wondering what they look like looking into them they are the OEM gray/silver.

Or do you mean the outermost plastic lens on the housing? That has a couple very minor nicks (smaller than a pencil tip) in a couple places, but other than that they are in excellent condition.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:09 PM   #16
I mean the actual clear lens, any sun damage or fading?
Old 06-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #17
Vivid Illumination

Quote:
I mean the actual clear lens, any sun damage or fading?
None
Old 06-05-2013, 11:11 PM   #18
Sooo tempting Colton!
Old 06-05-2013, 11:22 PM   #19
Vivid Illumination

Quote:
Sooo tempting Colton!
Well they're still available for now. Well except for one guy that still has until noon tomorrow to get back to me on whether he wants them or not. If it's not the look you are going for though... I know you said you wanted to go all black. I just don't want to push you into buying them if it isn't what you really want ya know? But if you want them I really don't think you will be disappointed. They will look different than the solid chrome arrangement that you had before.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:24 PM   #20
I honestly would take them apart and repaint them, its a good deal for sure and the "bad" doesnt frighten me at all. I just need to decide if i should start fresh with all new components or save some $$$