Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Buy / Sell / Trade > 2nd Gen Tacoma Marketplace

Notices

WTB: Shackle hitch

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-12-2013, 02:14 AM   #21
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofire38 View Post
Just wanted to add that I have to $10 one from Harbor Freight and it had held up through multiple recovery situations and has no sign on flaw or weakness. That is all lol
x2

No problems with several tugs at Pismo.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:13 AM   #22
09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
09Tacomania's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrPebkac View Post
Soo I guess this means your getting Hitched!!

I know bad joke....Glad you found a receiver...
Thanks to Rob, found me an OEM one off an 08.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:17 AM   #23
RiverBoyTRD has a spectacular aura aboutRiverBoyTRD has a spectacular aura about

Name: Jonathan
RiverBoyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I just stick the end of the rope in the hitch and pin that.

It's the pin that matters anyway get a grade 8 one
Old 07-12-2013, 05:35 AM   #24
motionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Drew
motionridr8's Tacoma Gallery
Though that method typically works no problem, the issue arises when you're pulling at an angle or pulling something that is more stuck than you thought. The receiver and shackle reduce the amount of point loading and thus bending stress on that bolt during a pull that isn't exactly inline with the long axis of the truck. Just picture it like a bridge. The bolt spans the gap and supports the load just fine, but it wants to bend in the center. The block of steel in the middle eliminates the bending that wants to occur and the limiting factor becomes shear strength of the bolt. As it turns out, the shear strength of that bolt is much higher than its strength in bending.

Bottom line is that the grade 8 bolt method will probably work for many recovery situations, but when you're stuck between a rock and a hard place or sinking into a mud hole, it makes me feel much better knowing that my $35k truck is getting pulled from a big hunk of (American) steel and not just a single bolt. If you've ever heard a bolt or something steel fail when overloaded, you'll understand my fear. Scary stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBoyTRD View Post
I just stick the end of the rope in the hitch and pin that.

It's the pin that matters anyway get a grade 8 one
Old 07-12-2013, 05:53 AM   #25
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
I machined mine from 2" solid bar stock, weighs a ton but indestructable. Most aftermarket ones use cheap chinese shackles also. Best to get a good forged one. Capacity is much greater.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:59 AM   #26
RiverBoyTRD has a spectacular aura aboutRiverBoyTRD has a spectacular aura about

Name: Jonathan
RiverBoyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by motionridr8 View Post
Though that method typically works no problem, the issue arises when you're pulling at an angle or pulling something that is more stuck than you thought. The receiver and shackle reduce the amount of point loading and thus bending stress on that bolt during a pull that isn't exactly inline with the long axis of the truck. Just picture it like a bridge. The bolt spans the gap and supports the load just fine, but it wants to bend in the center. The block of steel in the middle eliminates the bending that wants to occur and the limiting factor becomes shear strength of the bolt. As it turns out, the shear strength of that bolt is much higher than its strength in bending.

Bottom line is that the grade 8 bolt method will probably work for many recovery situations, but when you're stuck between a rock and a hard place or sinking into a mud hole, it makes me feel much better knowing that my $35k truck is getting pulled from a big hunk of (American) steel and not just a single bolt. If you've ever heard a bolt or something steel fail when overloaded, you'll understand my fear. Scary stuff.
Never even gave that a thought.....thanks
Old 07-12-2013, 04:38 PM   #27
AZM has a spectacular aura aboutAZM has a spectacular aura aboutAZM has a spectacular aura about
Name: Mike C...
AZM's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09Tacomania View Post
Needing one of these. Solid steel, not the hollow welded type ( don't need locking pin, only good pic i found ) Thanks
Hey thats the one I bought with the lock from another guy off this forum Mike C...AZ
Old 07-12-2013, 06:25 PM   #28
Dog slave
Erik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
Erik65's Tacoma Gallery
Scott,
I bought a Viking offroad shackle hitch, its made in the US and I like that there are 2 sets of holes in the block so I can orient the d-ring horizontally OR vertically depending on the direction of pull
Old 07-16-2013, 06:32 AM   #29
motionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Drew
motionridr8's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik65 View Post
Scott,
I bought a Viking offroad shackle hitch, its made in the US and I like that there are 2 sets of holes in the block so I can orient the d-ring horizontally OR vertically depending on the direction of pull
That's another solid product. Good choice.

Products Discussed in this Thread