Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Buy / Sell / Trade > 2nd Gen Tacoma Marketplace

Notices

Wheel Bearings/Hubs 4x4 for sale *complete* BEST PRICE EVER save $$

Old 07-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #41
g34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Avionics
g34rh34d's Tacoma Gallery
A quick question, I have been suspecting I may have a front hub or two going bad. (2008 TRD DC 4x4 w/ ~58K miles) because last year as I drove down the road I had a shimmy that sorta felt like a wheel was out of balance. (This was amplified when I put my wheel spacers on which really brought it to my attention.)

I took the wheel spacers off, and I had the tires rotated and balanced, but the shimmy never went away... So after an inspection, I noticed I needed front brake pads, so thinking that maybe I caused the shimmy by possibly overheating and warping a rotor, I ordered a new set of rotors for the front, and installed them with the new pads.

At first, with new brakes and rotors the shimmy went away, but now that I have been driving it for a while (~3 mos), and as the front brakes have worn a bit, it seems that the shimmy is starting to re-emerge. Naturally now, I am suspecting the hubs even more.

Can anyone tell me what is the process to inspect/verify the hubs are good (or bad)?? I tried the ol' grab the top of the wheel and shake to listen for clunks and rattles method, but nothing..

Please advise, as I may be ordering two from you.

thanks

FH
Old 07-26-2013, 06:54 PM   #42
Hub Master General
nj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kev
nj636's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by g34rh34d View Post
A quick question, I have been suspecting I may have a front hub or two going bad. (2008 TRD DC 4x4 w/ ~58K miles) because last year as I drove down the road I had a shimmy that sorta felt like a wheel was out of balance. (This was amplified when I put my wheel spacers on which really brought it to my attention.)

I took the wheel spacers off, and I had the tires rotated and balanced, but the shimmy never went away... So after an inspection, I noticed I needed front brake pads, so thinking that maybe I caused the shimmy by possibly overheating and warping a rotor, I ordered a new set of rotors for the front, and installed them with the new pads.

At first, with new brakes and rotors the shimmy went away, but now that I have been driving it for a while (~3 mos), and as the front brakes have worn a bit, it seems that the shimmy is starting to re-emerge. Naturally now, I am suspecting the hubs even more.

Can anyone tell me what is the process to inspect/verify the hubs are good (or bad)?? I tried the ol' grab the top of the wheel and shake to listen for clunks and rattles method, but nothing..

thanks

FH
with the tires a good 3" off the ground stick a pry bar under the tire and pull upward, it may take more force than what your doing by hand. if there's any play you will notice it using this method.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:59 PM   #43
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xweslingx View Post
Dot you wish this had been around a few months ago?! Haha ill be PMing for a set soon!
haha, it really wasn't a bad job to press everything apart and together with that new 10 ton press. it's a lot cheaper, and if i ever have one gradually go bad again i'll rebuild it myself. I just ordered one from Keven to keep in my tool box in case I had a catastrophic failure on the trail, or needed a replacement but couldn't wait for parts. even if i were to somehow break some wheel studs wheeling or something, it's cake to pop one of these on on the trail, and then press out/in new studs when i get home.

just too good of a value to pass up for some extra piece of mind on the trail and for day to day emergencies.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:23 PM   #44
no mods is one of the sharper tools in the shedno mods is one of the sharper tools in the shedno mods is one of the sharper tools in the shedno mods is one of the sharper tools in the shedno mods is one of the sharper tools in the shedno mods is one of the sharper tools in the shedno mods is one of the sharper tools in the shedno mods is one of the sharper tools in the shedno mods is one of the sharper tools in the shedno mods is one of the sharper tools in the shedno mods is one of the sharper tools in the shed
no mods's Tacoma Gallery
Good idea op.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:37 PM   #45
Hub Master General
nj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nj636's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by w00dy View Post
Old 07-26-2013, 07:46 PM   #46
sparkystaco is just really nicesparkystaco is just really nicesparkystaco is just really nicesparkystaco is just really nicesparkystaco is just really nice

Name: Sparky
sparkystaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by g34rh34d View Post

thanks

FH

When you replaced the rotors & pads did you check the rotors for lateral run out ? If not go to raybestos garage.com and they have a good howtoo vid on it explaining why your warpt rotor sindrome returned after 3 mos.

As for bearings, my 06 has 111k and I run 285's for 8 mos. a year and I still have original bearings with no problems.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:57 PM   #47
06taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed06taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed06taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed06taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed06taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed06taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed06taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed06taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed06taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed06taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed06taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brendan
06taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj636 View Post
installed

Thanks to Kevin changing the wheel bearings were simple. Once he dropped them off at my house I had both sides installed and done with in an hour. I would highly recommend Kevin (nj636) if your looking to replace your wheel bearings. I can't thank Kevin enough as my truck no longer is making that horrible screeching/squealing sound.

Much easier than having to take the bearings to a machine shop and have them pressed off am on and hope they don't f**k it up. For the price you can't go wrong. 👍
Old 07-26-2013, 08:09 PM   #48
Hub Master General

nj636's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06taco View Post
Thanks to Kevin changing the wheel bearings were simple. Once he dropped them off at my house I had both sides installed and done with in an hour. I would highly recommend Kevin (nj636) if your looking to replace your wheel bearings. I can't thank Kevin enough as my truck no longer is making that horrible screeching/squealing sound.

Much easier than having to take the bearings to a machine shop and have them pressed off am on and hope they don't f**k it up. For the price you can't go wrong. 👍
Thanks for the bump Brendan, I'm happy they came out how you expected. no more growling front end :grin:
Old 07-26-2013, 08:11 PM   #49
Hub Master General

nj636's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkystaco View Post
When you replaced the rotors & pads did you check the rotors for lateral run out ? If not go to raybestos garage.com and they have a good howtoo vid on it explaining why your warpt rotor sindrome returned after 3 mos.

As for bearings, my 06 has 111k and I run 285's for 8 mos. a year and I still have original bearings with no problems.
wait til you get in the 130k range
Old 07-26-2013, 09:44 PM   #51
Hub Master General

nj636's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdog View Post
I'm assuming these won't work on Prerunner (4x2). If that's correct, any chance you'd do some for Prerunners?
Quote:
Originally Posted by b.prall View Post
I would be interested too, I have a six lug prerunner 2x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK2006Yota View Post
bump for the prerunners
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ps14 View Post
prerunner!!
have the pre runner guys verified that the 4x4 assembly will not work on your trucks? They mount exactly the same.

Regardless, I am putting together a list for pre runner specific hub assemblys
Old 07-26-2013, 10:25 PM   #52
Hub Master General

nj636's Tacoma Gallery
PRE RUNNERS

your trucks use more parts for the hub assembly than the 4x4 trucks. I'd like to know if a 4x4 assembly will work on the pre runner?

anyway, for a complete assembly ready to bolt on will be $325. I've seen a complete assembly on ebay and their website for $400.

*edit* I got a call with same parts at a cheaper cost. The kicker is that flange, dorman does not make a pre runner flange so a genuine Toyota one has to be used in this kit, which isn't a bad thing just at a higher cost.

Pre Runner complete hub assembly, flange to lock nut is $299. I'll update OP
Old 07-26-2013, 10:28 PM   #53
Mega Member
Anteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnteupp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
Name: Andrew
Anteupp's Tacoma Gallery
subd
Old 07-26-2013, 10:44 PM   #54
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
with the tires a good 3" off the ground stick a pry bar under the tire and pull upward, it may take more force than what your doing by hand. if there's any play you will notice it using this method.
Going to have to do this. I had a shop tell me that my passenger side was totally shot even though I never felt a thing.
I had it replaced - of course, you can't tell much once it's already out - but ever since I've been nervously inspecting any sounds or weird steering. Never felt a thing with the ol' grabbing tire and pushing about.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:41 PM   #55
3ps14 is on a distinguished road

3ps14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
PRE RUNNERS

your trucks use more parts for the hub assembly than the 4x4 trucks. I'd like to know if a 4x4 assembly will work on the pre runner?

anyway, for a complete assembly ready to bolt on will be $325. I've seen a complete assembly on ebay and their website for $400.
I've only done the front bearings, and all that's required "extra" is a hub nut I bought at a dealership for $25
Old 07-27-2013, 04:19 AM   #56
PMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PMK's Tacoma Gallery
The prerunner is similar but different.

The prerunner uses a large special nut to secure the hub to the bearings. This nut lives in the location the u joint is on the 4wd.

The nut is supposed to be replaced on account of it being staked.

The disassembly and reassembly requires a special socket and needs to be torqued to 200 ftlbs.

The 4wd is assembled and secured by the axle spline,threaded portion and nut on the outboard end of the hub assembly.

The prerunners sees no contamination from the inboard side of the suspension upright since these is a large plug that caps the ujoint area.

PK
Old 07-27-2013, 04:36 AM   #57
ANTI-DARK
BeeRadd is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeeRadd is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeeRadd is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeeRadd is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeeRadd is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeeRadd is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeeRadd is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeeRadd is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeeRadd is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeeRadd is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeeRadd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Specialist, 1AD CAB
Name: Brad
BeeRadd's Tacoma Gallery
I would've killed to have this thread around when my bearings went out. For the newbs: if you're a 4x4, when your wheel bearing goes bad you have to have a shop remove it from the hub (the thing with the 6 lugs). It's a tedious process and very frustrating. If you have a preassembled unit like this, all you'd have to do is swip-swap! Oh so nice. Props and SUBD!
Old 07-27-2013, 04:54 AM   #58
no mods is one of the sharper tools in the shedno mods is one of the sharper tools in the shedno mods is one of the sharper tools in the shedno mods is one of the sharper tools in the shedno mods is one of the sharper tools in the shedno mods is one of the sharper tools in the shedno mods is one of the sharper tools in the shedno mods is one of the sharper tools in the shedno mods is one of the sharper tools in the shedno mods is one of the sharper tools in the shedno mods is one of the sharper tools in the shed
no mods's Tacoma Gallery
Add a 75$ dollar overnight option and u Will rake it in. So many people don't realize they are out until they are 300 mikes away from home on the side of a mountain w no breaks cause the wobble is spreading the caliper.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:30 AM   #60
Hub Master General

nj636's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSportLB View Post
Just curious, would one need to bother with the ecgs bushing if using this assembly?
one has nothing to do with the other