Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Buy / Sell / Trade > 2nd Gen Tacoma Marketplace

Notices

Wheel Bearings/Hubs 4x4 for sale *complete* BEST PRICE EVER save $$

Old 01-21-2014, 06:18 PM   #622
Hub Master General
nj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kev
nj636's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max713 View Post
My unit showed up today, looks great and as expected, fast shipping too. Thanks!

Thank you again Max
Old 01-21-2014, 06:18 PM   #623
Hub Master General
nj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shednj636 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nj636's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard2kill View Post
pm sent...great talking to you ...i will pm you when im ready to send funds later this week, like thursday?

Likewise & whenever your ready, I'll be here
Old 01-23-2014, 08:46 AM   #624
Stickers and new floormats arent Mods
weiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JK
weiser5150's Tacoma Gallery
I have a vibration that I feel in the pedal.....it doesnt start til around 60mph and feels like.........whoooom whoooom whoooom......if that makes sense.
Is this the cure?
Old 01-23-2014, 08:50 AM   #625
Hub Master General

nj636's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by weiser5150 View Post
I have a vibration that I feel in the pedal.....it doesnt start til around 60mph and feels like.........whoooom whoooom whoooom......if that makes sense.
Is this the cure?

that is typically the symptom. you can jack the front end up and spin the tires to feel for resistance and a grinding noise.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:58 AM   #626
Stickers and new floormats arent Mods
weiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedweiser5150 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JK
weiser5150's Tacoma Gallery
I will do that.....Thanks
Old 01-23-2014, 11:23 AM   #627
jeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
jeverich's Tacoma Gallery
Should've just bought them from ya..

Shop totally bunged up one of my bearings when they pressed them in; and I just realized that they used the wrong seal between the bearings.. For whatever reason they used the outer seal in place of the inner seal. Which is pretty hard to understand given that the bearing is clearly chamfered for the taller seal. Now I'm stuck with the taller seal that won't fit in the spindle due to the ABS sensor.

Godddammnnit!!
Old 01-23-2014, 11:33 AM   #628
Hub Master General

nj636's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeverich View Post
Should've just bought them from ya..

Shop totally bunged up one of my bearings when they pressed them in; and I just realized that they used the wrong seal between the bearings.. For whatever reason they used the outer seal in place of the inner seal. Which is pretty hard to understand given that the bearing is clearly chamfered for the taller seal. Now I'm stuck with the taller seal that won't fit in the spindle due to the ABS sensor.

Godddammnnit!!

There are definitely hacks out there & unfortunately you dealt with one.

So many important steps that can be skipped or done incorrectly, how they managed to install the wrong seal is beyond me. supporting the bearing race when pressing the flange in is crucial.

Are you bringing it back to them? that bearing will be dead with the wrong seal on it.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:40 AM   #629
jeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
jeverich's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj636 View Post
There are definitely hacks out there & unfortunately you dealt with one.

So many important steps that can be skipped or done incorrectly, how they managed to install the wrong seal is beyond me. supporting the bearing race when pressing the flange in is crucial.

Are you bringing it back to them? that bearing will be dead with the wrong seal on it.
I guess. Man this pisses me off.

I figured I'd save a few dollhairs and support a local shop, they're literally next door. Yet another reason why I don't like farming out work to other people.

The face on one of the bearings got totally scarred up; leading me to believe that the force applied was uneven.. Plus, the integrated seal on the ceramic cartridge was pushed out as well..

I'm kind of at a loss as to what I do, since this is my daily driver.

I dunno dude, don't want to clutter up your thread with my personal BS.

Do I get another set of outer seals from NAPA and throw them in as is? Run them until they're shot? Trying to press them out and install the proper seals is going to destroy those brand new bearings.. I don't know what the life expectancy will be with the incorrect seal in there. They're completely different with regards to sealing surfaces/seal lips.

Go over there and bitch at them?

Shoot me a PM, don't want to clutter your thread.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:55 AM   #630
Hub Master General

nj636's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeverich View Post
I guess. Man this pisses me off.

I figured I'd save a few dollhairs and support a local shop, they're literally next door. Yet another reason why I don't like farming out work to other people.

The face on one of the bearings got totally scarred up; leading me to believe that the force applied was uneven.. Plus, the integrated seal on the ceramic cartridge was pushed out as well..

I'm kind of at a loss as to what I do, since this is my daily driver.

I dunno dude, don't want to clutter up your thread with my personal BS.

Do I get another set of outer seals from NAPA and throw them in as is? Run them until they're shot? Trying to press them out and install the proper seals is going to destroy those brand new bearings.. I don't know what the life expectancy will be with the incorrect seal in there. They're completely different with regards to sealing surfaces/seal lips.

Go over there and bitch at them?

Shoot me a PM, don't want to clutter your thread.

If that seal is pushed out from the cartridge then chances are they didn't support the bearing race when the flange was pressed in.

if done correctly, the flange can be pressed out and a new seal installed successfully. what I wouldn't do is have that shop touch them again. I would take them over and show them what they did wrong, if you were charged I would ask for a refund since you'll be doing it all over again. maybe ask for a new set of seals as well.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:58 AM   #631
Hub Master General

nj636's Tacoma Gallery
all current orders will ship tomorrow morning. check your inbox later this evening for tracking information
Old 01-26-2014, 02:35 PM   #632
Hub Master General

nj636's Tacoma Gallery
after fulfilling all current orders I actually have five 4x4 assemblies built and ready to ship.

Let me know if anyone needs anything
Old 01-26-2014, 03:32 PM   #633
Hub Master General

nj636's Tacoma Gallery
So I replaced the bushings on my LCA's a few weeks ago and while I was there I replaced the LCA ball joints, outer tie rod ends & I came across the passenger side wheel bearing making some noise. I decided to replace both hubs.

What I found interesting was the passenger side cv seal was damaged, which in turn allowed the outside elements into the bearing which lead to its demise.

The driver side, which is original just like the passenger side, the seal was intact and the bearing was working great.

I disassembled the passenger bearing assembly and it was pretty crusty in there. The grease was burnt, the bearing race was scoured badly it was a sad site.

Now I disassembled the driver side. Here you can see the grease as I started to push the flange out of the bearing. The grease is still a nice clean white!

looks new to me

The cv seal was in perfect condition on the drivers side and as you can see the adequetly greased OEM 81,000 mile wheel bearing is in perfect condition.

For those that believe the OEM bearings are inadequately greased from the manufacturer may want to think again. I honestly believe (and was told by a Timken Rep) that the white grease is adequate & under no circumstances should the bearing be altered with any other grease.

As long as the seals are intact, the bearing will have a very long life.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:38 PM   #634
Hub Master General

nj636's Tacoma Gallery
I also took a few pics of the hub flange surface to show why you should not re-use this flange when replacing wheel bearings. As you can see the flange is scoured all the way around at the seal surface which allows the outside elements to get by the seal and into the bearing, prematurely wearing the bearing.

This is the flange as it was pressed out of the passenger side bearing. The bearing surface is rusted and the seal surface is rusted and scoured.

Here is the passenger side flange cleaned up to show the gouges in the sealing surface

Definitely do not want to reuse this flange!
Old 01-26-2014, 03:39 PM   #635
Most people call me ... Jim.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

As long as the seals are intact, the bearing will have a very long life.
It sure seems like that seal is the weak point. Without a redesign, do you see any way to improve or protect it?

I used to run pillow/plummer block bearings on a stump grinder, which was a very harsh environment. I could count on having to replace them not too many hours after I could see that a seal had failed.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:42 PM   #636
Most people call me ... Jim.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Definitely do not want to reuse this flange!
No doubt.

How did the driver's side hub look? It seems that if someone wants to reuse the actual hub, they'd be better off approaching bearing replacement as preventative maintenance. By the time the assembly starts showing signs of a problem, hub damage may have already occurred.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:14 PM   #637
Hub Master General

nj636's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
No doubt.

How did the driver's side hub look? It seems that if someone wants to reuse the actual hub, they'd be better off approaching bearing replacement as preventative maintenance. By the time the assembly starts showing signs of a problem, hub damage may have already occurred.
I did not document the driver side hub flange, but it was in great shape so I re-used it. The passenger side obviously got a new hub flange.

I'm pushing on Dorman and two other companies to manufacture the 4x2 hub flange. I'm hoping they come through!
Old 01-27-2014, 04:39 AM   #638
Hub Master General

nj636's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
It sure seems like that seal is the weak point. Without a redesign, do you see any way to improve or protect it?

I used to run pillow/plummer block bearings on a stump grinder, which was a very harsh environment. I could count on having to replace them not too many hours after I could see that a seal had failed.
The seals would have to be protected but I believe checking them during routine maintenance would be a great idea.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:38 PM   #639
Hub Master General

nj636's Tacoma Gallery
remaining orders shipped today