Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Buy / Sell / Trade > 2nd Gen Tacoma Marketplace

Notices

FRONT WHEEL BEARING AND HUB SOLUTION - I've done the work, you save the money!

Old 07-30-2013, 08:08 PM   #41
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Hopefully you will be fine. Even if you aren't, if you are under the 30k you will still be covered by warranty!
Old 07-30-2013, 08:15 PM   #42
drunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Sage
drunktaco's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'n for future reference
Old 07-30-2013, 08:23 PM   #43
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
Curious about this as well - Is there a service interval or just a "check from time to time and see if there's play" sort of thing.
Not sure about your year, but the 2013 maintenance booklet has a required suspension inspection at 15k or 18 mo., at which point a shop mechanic would likely check the hub bearing for excess play.

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/docum...html?locale=en

Also, the booklet seems to indicate the wheel bearings are covered under the 5 yr / 60k powertrain warranty if you have a 4x4:
Quote:
Final drive housing and all internal parts, axle shafts, drive shafts, constant velocity joints, front hub and bearings, seals and gaskets.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:10 AM   #44
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Not sure about your year, but the 2013 maintenance booklet has a required suspension inspection at 15k or 18 mo., at which point a shop mechanic would likely check the hub bearing for excess play.

Also, the booklet seems to indicate the wheel bearings are covered under the 5 yr / 60k powertrain warranty if you have a 4x4:
Highly unlikely. Most likely they just look for leaking struts and call it a day.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:24 AM   #45
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

They are supposed to be inspected, yes. BlueT may disagree, but personally when I was at the dealership we would inspect everything. A failed part means more income. Why just skip over the potential to make money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK2006Yota View Post
This is a fantastic offering.

A question on the general repair of the wheel bearing though. Why is it necessary to replace the wheel hub, rather then pressing out the old bearing, and pressing in a new one? Does the hub get worn out?
It is not always necessary to replace the hub. However in the interest of making "bolt on kits" where there is no need to unbolt the old hub, take it to a shop, get them to press out the old bearing and press in the new bearing, hope that they didn't mess something up in the process, then drive home and reinstall..... I supply a ready to bolt on assembly. You unbolt yours, bolt in my new one, and go driving.

Takes less than 15 minutes of work on each side in your own driveway versus up to 2-3 hours the other way....PLUS, not everyone has a ride to take them and the bearings to a shop and wait for them to get changed out. It is much more convenient this way. Plus, depending on how bad the bearing is worn, yes, it can cause hub damage. I've seen it about 20% of the time.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:33 PM   #46
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
Highly unlikely. Most likely they just look for leaking struts and call it a day.
The few times I've been at dealers to do oil changes on a lift, I see them use a long screwdriver to pry the hub and balljoints to check for play.

Beyond the 15k service, another opportunity to detect bad bearings is during brake service, where they remove the rotor to grind it. In any case, a bad bearing isn't instantly catastrophic. You will get noise and vibration alerting you to the defect, so you can replace the bearing yourself.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:04 PM   #47
ruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to behold

Marines:
Name: Rus
ruslanus's Tacoma Gallery
subbed
Old 07-31-2013, 06:58 PM   #48
Christ Follower
RadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRadRed06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Daniel
RadRed06's Tacoma Gallery
So youre telling me that all I have to do now to replace a worn out wheel bearing is take the old one off and bolt this bad boy on??? This is awesome.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:02 PM   #49
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Subb'd.

Just getting the bearing assembly from most auto parts places is $130 or more. Then you have to either have access to a shop with a press and go to the trouble of cutting the old bearings off the hub, transferring seals and o-rings, and pressing the hub into the new assembly.

Or paying NAPA to do all that, and hope they do it right.

This is a great price, especially including shipping, to make it a 30 minute job. NICE. We'll be in touch when the time comes.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:10 PM   #50
CASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
CASTRATE's Tacoma Gallery
Helluva deal
Old 07-31-2013, 07:22 PM   #51
whiteoak is on a distinguished road
Name: Gary
whiteoak's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed
Old 07-31-2013, 07:24 PM   #52
curmudgeon
TimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: they call me Bruce
TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I am now realizing this is second gen only

I'm at 102K on my '03. I've got no warranty lol
Old 07-31-2013, 09:14 PM   #53
ASE Master Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadRed06 View Post
So youre telling me that all I have to do now to replace a worn out wheel bearing is take the old one off and bolt this bad boy on??? This is awesome.
Yes, that is all it will take with these units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
I am now realizing this is second gen only

I'm at 102K on my '03. I've got no warranty lol
Sorry man. If I could find a viable solution I would. Unfortunately building an entire knuckle is quite expensive. The best I could do is sell "bearing kits" with all of the parts to be pressed in at a local shop. Is there any interest in that I wonder?
Old 07-31-2013, 10:13 PM   #54
curmudgeon
TimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: they call me Bruce
TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
Sorry man. If I could find a viable solution I would. Unfortunately building an entire knuckle is quite expensive. The best I could do is sell "bearing kits" with all of the parts to be pressed in at a local shop. Is there any interest in that I wonder?
No worries. I'd be interested if you ever offer a kit. In the mean time I'll just hope that my bearings stay fine
Old 07-31-2013, 11:01 PM   #55
Last Straw of Brittfartikus
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Subb'd.

Just getting the bearing assembly from most auto parts places is $130 or more. Then you have to either have access to a shop with a press and go to the trouble of cutting the old bearings off the hub, transferring seals and o-rings, and pressing the hub into the new assembly.

Or paying NAPA to do all that, and hope they do it right.

This is a great price, especially including shipping, to make it a 30 minute job. NICE. We'll be in touch when the time comes.
Reused o-rings and seals are probably one of the reasons so many bearings fail prematurely. Fortunately, Bill is saving people from themselves.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:33 AM   #56
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
Reused o-rings and seals are probably one of the reasons so many bearings fail prematurely. Fortunately, Bill is saving people from themselves.
It depends on the condition. Before re-use I inspect thoroughly. If they're fucked, they get replaced.

The reason most bearings fail amongst the crew I run with is because we're pushing oversized tires on locked axles through water, grit, and mud on a regular basis, with the vehicle loaded. No matter how good the seal job, stuff gets in and forces add up. Very frequently the bearings need replacement before the seals are even worn.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:59 AM   #57
Last Straw of Brittfartikus
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Not much can be done for that. Maybe Bill can source some magnetic bearings for tractor tire folks like you.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:20 AM   #58
Milk was a BAD choice
CHUNKY08 has a brilliant futureCHUNKY08 has a brilliant futureCHUNKY08 has a brilliant futureCHUNKY08 has a brilliant futureCHUNKY08 has a brilliant futureCHUNKY08 has a brilliant futureCHUNKY08 has a brilliant futureCHUNKY08 has a brilliant futureCHUNKY08 has a brilliant futureCHUNKY08 has a brilliant futureCHUNKY08 has a brilliant future

Name: Dave
CHUNKY08's Tacoma Gallery
SWEET DEAL! I wish you had gotten this together a month ago. I switched out my DR side. Sub'd for pass side when that goes.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:30 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
Not much can be done for that. Maybe Bill can source some magnetic bearings for tractor tire folks like you.
Nah. Nothin for it. You just end up replacing bearings every few years like a set of tires. Front are worse than rear typically.

Price of offroading.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:32 AM   #60
The Sticker Guy
ruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ruggedT's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet... might pick one of these up. At 98k and havnt had to change one yet. I know its coming.

Does the 4x4 include the cv shaft seal(s)? Every time iv removed the spindle both seals were shot.