1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Feeler: Alcan springs

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tacoma Parts Marketplace (2005-2015)' started by rglr, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Oct 12, 2013 at 8:16 AM
    rglr

rglr [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Dover, NH
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab
    I just completed the install of my new Alcan spring packs. I needed to solve the usual driveline vibration due to axle wrap issue but I didn't want any lift- in fact I wanted a 1/2 drop to level it out. So I contacted Bill @ Alcan and requested a spring pack with 1/2 inch drop. I'm not sure where the communication break down happened but he must have interpreted this as meaning 1/2 lower than his standard pack which is 1.5 inch lift. So, now I have brand new packs which have lifted my truck by 1 inch.

The driveline vibration is gone and it drives like a dream now, however, if I can sell these and get another set 1 more inch lower I will take the hit on extra cost of selling/buying again. Unfortunately I didn't take any decent pics of the springs before installing them so I understand if nobody wants to bite. I can take more pics for anyone serious. The attached pics are before/after shot and a comparison between the stock pack and the Alcan pack.

I paid $620 + $163 shipping and I'm willing to let them go for $620 shipped.

Alcan 002 before.jpg
    Alcan 006 springs.jpg
    Alcan 009 after.jpg

2. Oct 12, 2013 at 8:19 AM
    specialized7

specialized7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    ,Saskatoon, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 v6 4x4
    i bet if you ride on them for a bit with some weight they will sag down.

3. Oct 12, 2013 at 9:15 AM
    AaronArf

AaronArf Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    VA Beach
    Vehicle:
    2023 LR OR DCSB
    I'm willing to bet once they break in you'll be at the ride height you want. I have Alcans and they were about 1" higher then i wanted before they broke in. I've got about 5k on my springs now.

4. Oct 13, 2013 at 6:51 AM
    Nixinus

Nixinus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    I agree although I'm not 100% about Alcans. From experience with rear pack replacements, unless you go with a very beefy rear, you will get a break in settle. I can't say how much but if I were you I would contact Alcan and give them a heads up about what's going on. If said that it will settle an inch then wait and see. If not then proceed on with the exchange. Either way, you'll have to let them know what they did this time was not what you wanted.

5. Oct 14, 2013 at 6:47 AM
    SoCaltaco65

SoCaltaco65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4x4 Offroad TRD
    All new leaf springs have a settling period, its normal, as previously stated, throw some weight in the back, readicrete bags, weights and so on for a a couple of weeks.

6. Oct 15, 2013 at 3:29 AM
    rglr

rglr [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Dover, NH
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab
    Thanks for the replies. I will wait. I'll put some weight in the bed and if I have to I can use the overload from the Toyota pack which "droops" a little more than the overload from the Alcan. I'll see how it goes...my initial panic is over :)

7. Oct 15, 2013 at 3:46 AM
    WLFFGreg

WLFFGreg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Northern NH
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    Bent stock IFS skid
    I'd suspect you'll be putting some tubes of sand in anyways for winter time, so that will also help. Also remember that when you are level and you put a load in the back, you go to reverse rake and it'll look like your doing a wheelie. Far less attractive than a little rake I'd think.

BTW hi from up north
    Greg

8. Oct 15, 2013 at 3:50 AM
    Gearheadesw

Gearheadesw must modify

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    1 truck 1 car 1 motorcycle
    Have had Alcans before. If you told them what you want, those springs will be what you've told them to build. Let them settle in, you'll be happy.

Products Discussed in

To Top