Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Buy / Sell / Trade > 2nd Gen Tacoma Marketplace

Notices

New version Locking Gas Door

Old 01-18-2014, 10:44 AM   #1
eAreEyeSee is one of the sharper tools in the shedeAreEyeSee is one of the sharper tools in the shedeAreEyeSee is one of the sharper tools in the shedeAreEyeSee is one of the sharper tools in the shedeAreEyeSee is one of the sharper tools in the shedeAreEyeSee is one of the sharper tools in the shedeAreEyeSee is one of the sharper tools in the shedeAreEyeSee is one of the sharper tools in the shedeAreEyeSee is one of the sharper tools in the shedeAreEyeSee is one of the sharper tools in the shedeAreEyeSee is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
eAreEyeSee's Tacoma Gallery
New version Locking Gas Door

What's up my fellow Tacomians,

Iíve come up with a locking gas door for the 2nd gen truck. I've had this idea in my head for a while but It took me a while to find a latch I liked and that would work while not interfering with the storage pocket in the bed due to the limited space between the two.

Yes, I know you can just get a locking gas cap. I had one and it worked just fine for 2 years without issue but I prefer this method better. This is the way it should have come from Toyota. No extra key on my key ring and no holding the cap while turning the key.

NEW VERSION E
DIT:
This is the new version for the door lock. Iíve decided to sell them as just the lock unit itself and not as complete kits as before since everybody has their own taste in buttons or trigger mechanisms. I figure most DIY's and moders will have their own collection of wire and connectors. I think this is how I will move forward with these. It seems to be a more universal install since you donít have to locate the door lock wires and figure out if you have the right color wires. This version just needs ground and 12v+ and a momentary button.

$45 includes lock unit and the door latch and shipping within the US using the small flat rate USPS box.

What you need:
Momentary button
wire
add-a-circuit to plug into fuse box
female butt connectors or crimp caps
You may or may not need a spring to help kick the door open

Here is the write up I did for the install.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-gas-door.html

http://youtu.be/Co3Y0dTnNPo
Old 01-18-2014, 12:28 PM   #2
Cobra
rubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant future

Army: 2nd Armored Div.
rubenc87's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to rubenc87
The items in the third pic is te factory gear that will be replaced by your kit. Seems like it would work well. Only think May be the price point.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:56 PM   #3
eAreEyeSee is one of the sharper tools in the shedeAreEyeSee is one of the sharper tools in the shedeAreEyeSee is one of the sharper tools in the shedeAreEyeSee is one of the sharper tools in the shedeAreEyeSee is one of the sharper tools in the shedeAreEyeSee is one of the sharper tools in the shedeAreEyeSee is one of the sharper tools in the shedeAreEyeSee is one of the sharper tools in the shedeAreEyeSee is one of the sharper tools in the shedeAreEyeSee is one of the sharper tools in the shedeAreEyeSee is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Yes on the replacement parts and I thought about the price too. It was just a starting point but I'll prolly change it to $70. Any less than that is not really worth my time in labor to modify the latches and the machine time for the catches and brackets.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:17 PM   #4
Grimjack is a splendid one to beholdGrimjack is a splendid one to beholdGrimjack is a splendid one to beholdGrimjack is a splendid one to beholdGrimjack is a splendid one to beholdGrimjack is a splendid one to beholdGrimjack is a splendid one to behold

Grimjack's Tacoma Gallery
If you do build some of the kits I would be interested.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:26 PM   #5
617mike9c1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed617mike9c1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed617mike9c1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed617mike9c1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed617mike9c1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed617mike9c1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed617mike9c1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed617mike9c1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed617mike9c1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed617mike9c1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed617mike9c1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
617mike9c1's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in for one too.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:05 PM   #8
S13chris is on a distinguished road

Marines: Recon
Name: Chris
S13chris's Tacoma Gallery
I would buy one
Old 01-18-2014, 04:21 PM   #9
SpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeedoJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SpeedoJosh's Tacoma Gallery
Is it really that loud? Sounds like a sledge hammer
Old 01-18-2014, 05:40 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
Just curious... concidering the price difference what was so bad about the locking gas cap?
Nothing is wrong with the locking cap. I used one for a long time. The price isn't for everyone just like the $98 price for the Pop-n-Lock tailgate unit which is basically the same thing but I liked it so I bought it.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:42 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedoJosh View Post
Is it really that loud? Sounds like a sledge hammer
Ha. Yeah it's a bit loud in the video. I also have the tailgate lock unit so the sound from that bouncing off off the back of the garage at the same time may be contributing to that.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:21 PM   #13
gman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

gman2530's Tacoma Gallery
For Gen 1s??????
Old 01-18-2014, 07:45 PM   #14
Jstrumpf is on a distinguished road

Jstrumpf's Tacoma Gallery
i would be in if you built some kits
Old 01-18-2014, 08:02 PM   #15
TRDKAZI is on a distinguished road

TRDKAZI's Tacoma Gallery
I'd buy one
Old 01-18-2014, 08:10 PM   #16
Cobra
rubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant futurerubenc87 has a brilliant future

Army: 2nd Armored Div.
rubenc87's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to rubenc87
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman2530 View Post
For Gen 1s??????
I believe the hardware behind the door on the 1st gen would be different from the 2 gen.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:54 PM   #17
Thanks for the interest. I will get on these and let you know when there're ready.

I don't know if they will work on 1st gen. I only had a 09 and 10 to test on.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:04 PM   #18
01 dhrracer is on a distinguished road
01 dhrracer's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=eAreEyeSee;8030483]What's up my fellow Tacomians,

Iíve come up with a locking gas door and figured if others are interested then I could machine some more latches and brackets and build some more kits but I thought I'd check before going through the effort. I've had this idea in my head for a while but It took me a while to find a latch I liked and that would work while not interfering with the storage pocket in the bed due to the limited space between the two.

These would be a similar install to the Pop-N-Lock tailgate lock and would be a completely bolt on kit so no modifications required. I will include everything you need to install the kit. You would only need to remove and replace the door clip and side nipple thingy and run the wires to the door sill and splice into the door locks. It's probably about a 30ish minute project. This setup locks/unlocks the gas door with the power door locks (unlocks with the 2nd press of the unlock button).

Yes, I know you can just get a locking gas cap. I had one and it worked just fine for 2 years without issue but I still didn't like it. This is how my Audi works and I like it and I think this is the way it should have come from Toyota. No extra key on my key ring and no holding the cap while turning the key.

If there is any interest in these then I will write up a how-to install thread with pics and whatnot.

$70 for the kit and that will include everything needed as well as shipping within the US using the small flat rate USPS box.

http://youtu.be/7uNT3yC-0NU

[/Q Why tie it to the door locks? What about just putting a switch in side so you are not unlocking other doors?
Old 01-19-2014, 06:53 AM   #20
Yaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Yaozer's Tacoma Gallery
Interested. Nice work, OP.