Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Shopping > Buy / Sell / Trade > 2nd Gen Tacoma Marketplace

Notices

PrInSu Design Studio Roof Racks

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-26-2014, 01:59 PM   #1
zscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedzscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedzscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedzscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedzscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedzscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedzscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedzscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedzscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedzscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedzscott is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
zscott's Tacoma Gallery
PrInSu Design Studio Roof Racks

www.prinsudesignstudio.com

I have been working on a new website that it is a little cleaner. I have slowly been adding pictures from the thread, if you see any of your photos you don't want on the website let me know and I will remove them. Don't want to cause any problems.

PRICING:

2005-2014 Double Cab Cabrac- $435.00 + Actual Shipping
2005-2014 Accessrac- $405.00 + Actual Shipping
FJ Cruiser Roofrac - $575.00 + Actual Shipping

ADD-ONS/UPGRADES

Tacoma Racks:
Add (1) Standard Crossbar - $17.00
Add (1) HD Black Anodized Crossbar - $34.00
Upgrade to HD Black Anodized Bars (Double Cab) - $102.00
Upgrade to HD Black Anodized Bars (Access Cab) - $85.00
Powdercoating - $150.00 - $160.00
Powdercoating for defelctor and side rails only - $60-65

FJ Cruiser Racks:
Add (1) Standard Crossbar - $25
Add (1) Black Anodized Crossbar - $38
Upgrade to Black Anodized Bars - $96
Powdercoating - $180
Powdercoating for deflector and side rails only - $75

SHIPPING:

Tacoma Racks:
Pacific Time - $50
Mountain Time - $45
Central - $55
Eastern - $65

FJ Cruiser Racks:
Pacific Time - $80
Mountain Time - $75
Central - $85
Eastern - $95

2005-2014 Double Cab Tacoma Cabrac

2005-2014 Access Cab Tacoma Accessrac

FJ Cruiser Roofrac

FAQ's

What is the weight capacity of these racks?

Without a real way to test them these pictures are the best I can do. I don't have any way of really testing this and it greatly varies depending on the number and type of crossbars you use. What I have told others is that anything you should reasonably put on your roof, this rack can handle. I have had my RTT on there for about 15 different trips now with no problems. I have carried 350lbs of steel on the interstate at 65mph and the rack handled it like a champ. When I first started building the racks I stuck a sheet of plywood on one that was sitting on the living room floor and had 3 adults and 5 smaller children stand on it (~500 lbs) while I looked and measured deflection. There wasn't anything measureable since it was evenly distributed. The racks are plenty strong.

Can I mount a lightbar? What Size? How?

40" no deflector

40" with defelctor

50" Custom mount

Can I mount an awning?

Directly to side rails:

With a DIY bracket:

Disclaimer:
Users are responsible for using common sense, and good judgement when using these racks. They are designed for off road use and although they can be used for utility and other purposes, heavy loads should be avoided and proper restraints should be used for all loads. I will not be held liable for overloading these cargo systems to the point of failure and damage to your vehicle/equipment or others. By installing this item on your vehicle you assume liability.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:21 PM   #2
If it can't be overdone it's not worth doing
SMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery
Scott, I'm very impressed at how fast you're moving with these prototypes. I do have a few concerns that I'd like to mention.

1. The long slot for the cross bars is going to be a weak point. The top of the washer is going to bear on an unsuported strip of 1/4 aluminum. I would suggest that you lay out holes along the side rail that would fit the pattern in the cross bars. You could make several groups of holes so that each cross bar could be moved forward or back several inches.

2. With the shallow cross bar your bearing surface is low meaning your side to side stability will be low. I was planning on using one of the square shapes and adding an angle to the underside of each bar to tie the side rail and the bar together.

3. On a personal note, I would like to see the feet land on the rubber molding without the use of a spacer, but that's just me.

Please keep up the great work. I'm glad to see someone working on this.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:23 PM   #3
DESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DESRTRNNR's Tacoma Gallery
is there a discount for ordering both truck and camper?
Old 02-26-2014, 02:40 PM   #4
J4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

J4RR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMKYTXN View Post
1. The long slot for the cross bars is going to be a weak point. The top of the washer is going to bear on an unsuported strip of 1/4 aluminum. I would suggest that you lay out holes along the side rail that would fit the pattern in the cross bars. You could make several groups of holes so that each cross bar could be moved forward or back several inches.
I agree but I love the overall design...The option to add and move the crossbars is awesome!
I plan to strap my 33" spare up there so strength and stability is a must!
Old 02-26-2014, 02:44 PM   #5
zscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedzscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedzscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedzscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedzscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedzscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedzscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedzscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedzscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedzscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedzscott is one of the sharper tools in the shed

zscott's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMKYTXN View Post
Scott, I'm very impressed at how fast you're moving with these prototypes. I do have a few concerns that I'd like to mention.

2. With the shallow cross bar your bearing surface is low meaning your side to side stability will be low. I was planning on using one of the square shapes and adding an angle to the underside of each bar to tie the side rail and the bar together.

3. On a personal note, I would like to see the feet land on the rubber molding without the use of a spacer, but that's just me.

Please keep up the great work. I'm glad to see someone working on this.

1. AGREED! There are few points where it ties in for reinforcement on the prototype model. It is pretty stable as is but I wasn't completely satisfied so I have modified the rail that will be used for production to have more points of reinforcement without loosing the ability to move the bars around a little bit. Instead of having individual holes the entire length of the rail there will be mini slots so that bars can be adjusted forward and backward.

2. I went back and forth on this option. I liked the fact that the square extrusions would have more mounting surface but many of the square options only had one tapped hole where the 1575 has 2. I also thought that the square would be overkill as it has 4 channels and I didn't want to overbuild the rack.

I am satisfied with how sturdy it is with the shallow bars but I have made an adjustment for the final production model that will allow a crossbar in the front, middle and back to swivel down and bolt in making the crossbar become a deep profile and adding rigidity and strength when it is desired. That way I think the rack stays clean and functional for light loads, but still can be adjusted for heavy loads.

3. This is the only point you have made that I don't have a solution for. The channels on the roof are curved in that the front mounting points are wider than the rear. For the rails to fit right down in the channels the crossbars would have to be different lengths which defeat the purpose of the moveable extrusion crossbars. I am working on making it so that the spacer is a abs plastic block rather than round aluminum spacers but testing it out, the difference in strength and stability is negligible.

I hope I don't come across as snobby and defensive. I really do appreciate the criticism and advice. I am sure new ideas will come along in the future just like they do with any product, but for now I think this model will serve the needs of quite a few people.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:46 PM   #6

zscott's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESRTRNNR View Post
I can probably offer some sort of deal. Also, shipping for the pair shouldn't increase greatly.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:47 PM   #7

zscott's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by J4RR View Post
I agree but I love the overall design...The option to add and move the crossbars is awesome!
I plan to strap my 33" spare up there so strength and stability is a must!
Just responded to the concern and I wouldn't hesitate to have the spare up there with the modifications I have made.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:47 PM   #8
J4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

J4RR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESRTRNNR View Post
X2! I'm still narrowing my decision on a new shell but most likely will be a Snugtop Rebel with Yakima tracks.
Also, would you make a longer shell rack for the long beds like mine? Same price?
Old 02-26-2014, 02:56 PM   #9

zscott's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by J4RR View Post
X2! I'm still narrowing my decision on a new shell but most likely will be a Snugtop Rebel with Yakima tracks.
Also, would you make a longer shell rack for the long beds like mine? Same price?
I can make it slightly longer but the maximum length I can do is 60". The one in the picture is 52". The reason being is that in order to bend 1/4" aluminum you have to bend it against the grain or it has a tendency to crack. The largest sheet of aluminum I can get is 5' wide by 10' long. Grain runs along the width so 5' limits the length. If you want it longer than that I can do rails out of steel designed the same way to use whatever crossbars.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:05 PM   #10
If it can't be overdone it's not worth doing
SMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zscott View Post
1. AGREED! There are few points where it ties in for reinforcement on the prototype model. It is pretty stable as is but I wasn't completely satisfied so I have modified the rail that will be used for production to have more points of reinforcement without loosing the ability to move the bars around a little bit. Instead of having individual holes the entire length of the rail there will be mini slots so that bars can be adjusted forward and backward.

Perfect!

2. I went back and forth on this option. I liked the fact that the square extrusions would have more mounting surface but many of the square options only had one tapped hole where the 1575 has 2. I also thought that the square would be overkill as it has 4 channels and I didn't want to overbuild the rack.

I am satisfied with how sturdy it is with the shallow bars but I have made an adjustment for the final production model that will allow a crossbar in the front, middle and back to swivel down and bolt in making the crossbar become a deep profile and adding rigidity and strength when it is desired. That way I think the rack stays clean and functional for light loads, but still can be adjusted for heavy loads.

I like the idea of turning the bars vertical. That will also let you mount lights on the front and back to the slot in the extrusion. Great idea!

3. This is the only point you have made that I don't have a solution for. The channels on the roof are curved in that the front mounting points are wider than the rear. For the rails to fit right down in the channels the crossbars would have to be different lengths which defeat the purpose of the moveable extrusion crossbars. I am working on making it so that the spacer is a abs plastic block rather than round aluminum spacers but testing it out, the difference in strength and stability is negligible.

I hope I don't come across as snobby and defensive. I really do appreciate the criticism and advice. I am sure new ideas will come along in the future just like they do with any product, but for now I think this model will serve the needs of quite a few people.

I agree that getting the feet down on the roof would be a trick considering the holes in the roof don't line up in a line.
Hey, I'm offering constructive criticism and you're coming back with well thought out responses. It's all good!
Old 02-26-2014, 03:13 PM   #11
IslandBoy71 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIslandBoy71 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIslandBoy71 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIslandBoy71 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIslandBoy71 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIslandBoy71 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIslandBoy71 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIslandBoy71 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIslandBoy71 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIslandBoy71 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIslandBoy71 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Reggie
IslandBoy71's Tacoma Gallery
subd
Old 02-26-2014, 03:32 PM   #12

J4RR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I can make it slightly longer but the maximum length I can do is 60". The one in the picture is 52". The reason being is that in order to bend 1/4" aluminum you have to bend it against the grain or it has a tendency to crack. The largest sheet of aluminum I can get is 5' wide by 10' long. Grain runs along the width so 5' limits the length. If you want it longer than that I can do rails out of steel designed the same way to use whatever crossbars.
Ok great...I'll decide when I get it...just want to maximize the use of the space up there.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:35 PM   #13
DESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDESRTRNNR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DESRTRNNR's Tacoma Gallery
nvm... i didnt read your full response earlier
Old 02-26-2014, 05:03 PM   #14
INSTAGRAM: sytfu510
sytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Infantry
Name: Alex
sytfu510's Tacoma Gallery
nice work!
Old 02-26-2014, 05:13 PM   #15

zscott's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytfu510 View Post
nice work!
Thanks!

If anyone wants one of these let me know and I can get your order going. I am still planning on doing come giveaways and such if there is enough interest and enough people order.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:16 PM   #16
Poolstick is on a distinguished road

Poolstick's Tacoma Gallery
I'm definitely interested, but may have to wait a paycheck or two. When are you thinking of doing your run?
Old 02-26-2014, 06:20 PM   #17

zscott's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolstick View Post
I'm definitely interested, but may have to wait a paycheck or two. When are you thinking of doing your run?
I went ahead and had the fab shop cut the rails. Now whenever you guys are ready you can place an order. I just will be in the hole a little till people order.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:40 PM   #18
G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) sufferer
dionysis has a spectacular aura aboutdionysis has a spectacular aura about
Name: Jim
dionysis's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't see it so I figured I would ask. What kind of weight capacity are we looking at here? Is it something that would be safe to mount a rtt to?
Old 02-26-2014, 07:49 PM   #19

zscott's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysis View Post
I didn't see it so I figured I would ask. What kind of weight capacity are we looking at here? Is it something that would be safe to mount a rtt to?
I don't have a specific number, but when the crossbars are arranged correctly it should have no problems with a roof top tent. You can also add more crossbars than the standard six if you are concerned about weight.

The standard setup will allow you to turn front and rear crossbars on their side maximizing their weight capacity and eliminating deflection. It allows you to join the two in the front and rear together into "supercharged" cross bars leaving two crossbars to stabilize the center.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:01 PM   #20
motionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotionridr8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Drew
motionridr8's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I went ahead and had the fab shop cut the rails. Now whenever you guys are ready you can place an order. I just will be in the hole a little till people order.
I'm really interested, but like the others have mentioned, that long slot is a design aspect I'm not a fan of. I saw you mentioned that you'd change it to a few shorter slots. Do you have a CAD image or photo of what these will look like? If you have that, I should be good to place an order in a week or so.

I'm looking at a DC rack with 8 crossbars, powder-coated black, shipped to 03031. Feel free to PM me if you'd rather not clutter your thread.

Thanks.

Products Discussed in this Thread